0.5 dose not enuf for Elmo???????

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Beth 73, Nov 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

AMPS of 160 ...dropped insulin to 0.5 rather than fat 0.5... his +4 was 159... going to check again at +6 and +8.... looked back at numbers since October 30 hypo when 0.5 given....needing some wisdom / insight :bookworm:

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

He's doing really well surfing in those nice blues. You could try 0.75 u and monitor. It might get you to a green but no rush. Many of us would love to see numbers like this. :)

3. Beth 73

Thank u , Kris, so much . If not for people on this message board like u, Janet and all the others Elmo would not be doing well. Seeing u r in Canada reminds me of my daughter's dear college friend from Manitoba who spent Thanksgiving with us each year. What wonderful memories !!

JanetNJ likes this.
  4. Kris & Teasel

Glad to help! I have a brother in California who likes to celebrate two Thanksgivings - Canadian in October and American in November. You can never have too much turkey! :)

I checked your SS again and Oct. 30 he had a hypo number after a PM dose of 1 u. You referred to a hypo after a 0.5 u dose. Am I looking at the wrong place?

Ah, I understand now ... you dropped to 0.5 u after that hypo number. Elmo is very steady in his response to Vetsulin and surfs nicely most days. If the thought of getting close to 1 u scares you, there's no rush. He's almost always in below-renal-threshold numbers, he doesn't bounce and you generally see a fairly quick but not dramatic effect of a dose change when you decide to do that.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
  5. Beth 73

Hypo was night of October 30... wasn't here but my imaginings would guess my sweet willing husband didn't flick out any bubble and or didn't make sure he had eaten enuf....just took BG at +6 and it was 138... maybe nadir has shifted ??

6. Beth 73

Just read what U were referring to.... I meant since the hypo I charted his response since I switched to .5... what he did on .5 shoots

7. Kris & Teasel

The nadir can shift a bit. You're getting good duration with the Vetsulin so the nadir could be somewhere in the +5 to +7 range. It's not always exactly at +6.

8. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

My cats nadir was anywhere from +4 - +6. Usually it was about 5. So I'd check at 4 and be able to determine what the cycle was doing.

9. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Nice numbers today

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.