? 0.5 Insulin help

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by puppy8910club, May 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. puppy8910club

puppy8910club Member

Hi,

my winston new diagnosis is on 0.5 insulin to start off with as he had bad hypo on 1 .

Would you expect 0.5 to literally be just a couple of small drops?

Last night i done his first injection quite well , felt it go in smooth and injected and he seemed quite well after. This morning maybe i was tired, rushed it or just need more practice in time but i was not 100% sure he got his insulin and the needle came out a bit "bent".

He seemes very tired, quite i watched him for hour after. During injection he had 3/4 of his wet pouch and then i injected (or tried). He left the rest and went under his bed in our spare room.

Should i be worried? I know i should wait till next injection time and not repeat incase i did do it correctly but not as "smooth". I feel guilty leaving him all day not knowing if i done the injection ok.... :(

2. manxcat419

manxcat419 Well-Known Member

You're right not to attempt to give another shot after a possible fur shot (that's what we call it when the insulin doesn't, or might not have, gone in). 0.5 of a unit is a small amount, yes - you're probably not going to feel much movement on the plunger. It's possible that the needle did bend rather than go into his skin - fur shots happen to all of us at one time or another but it's far safer to let him run a little high for the day than risk him dropping too low by giving more insulin.

He's probably finding the whole new routine a bit strange at the moment - he's had vet visits, tests and now injections. He might just be hiding because it's all new and unfamiliar, though it is possible that he's tired because his levels are a bit high - if he had a hypo from 1 unit, he might be bouncing today too which might well be making his numbers run higher than they have been. He is safe to be left - he might run a bit high without that shot but that isn't going to do him any instant harm - high levels cause damage gradually, it's hypos that cause problems very quickly. Please don't feel guilty - as I said, fur shots happen to all of us and cats get over them and get back on track quickly. :bighug:

3. puppy8910club

puppy8910club Member

Thanks for that, makes me feel bit better. still feel guilty cant wait to get home .

He was sitting on window ledge, but just very very quite. he then hid under bed. normally scoffs so much food but this time just a smaller amount.

btw i am using this :

http://www.caninsulin.com/vetpen/about-vetpen.asp

my vet gave it to me

4. manxcat419

How is he doing now?

I'm not familiar with the pen you're using, but I'm assuming it differs from the pens for Lantus and Levemir in being able to draw half units - if your vet has given you the pen and prescribed 0.5 unit then they must be sure that it'll work for that.

5. puppy8910club

puppy8910club Member

still very tired it seems no energy. Just done another shot after he eat half food, he left the rest so not eating fully. He then laying by his litter tray and seems very very tired and weak. Maybe annoyed as he is an "outdoor" cat but having to keep inside. maybe bored and depressed also.. before anyone says it i have spent hundreds of pounds on toys and furniture he isnt very playful at all....

I took him vet as although it felt i done injection ok im nervous i maybe "thinking" im doing it correct and not actually. As lot of hair in way.

i asked to shave his back as easier when eating to shoot his back but they done shoulders!! just seen now home!

Bit annoyed but i cant grab any skin as the shoulder blades stop be from "grabbing" . Is it ok to just insert needle directly without pinching a fold????? please if anyone can help answer dont want to hurt or do it wrong ..

[​IMG]

6. manxcat419

I'm sorry he doesn't seem to have much energy yet - getting him feeling better is a process...it isn't going to be an instant improvement unfortunately. But as long as he's eating and getting his shots he will improve. I wouldn't inject right over his shoulder like that - it looks a little too close to a bone for me to be comfortable with that idea. You could shave a small patch of fur yourself I think. I didn't ever lift much skin with Rosa - just enough to make sure I was getting the needle in under her skin but not too deep.

BTW - he looks like a beautiful kitty (though I am biased towards black cats as you can probably see from my pic)! :)

7. puppy8910club

puppy8910club Member

thanks will ignore shaven area and carry on as normal, just not confident yet. all new.

did it take long for your cat to get better?? he was more active prior to all his treatment. he just so weak it seems and tired. normal to take a week for them to get energy back? concerned as he an outdooor cat used to roaming and now locked inside.

8. manxcat419

You'll get there - and while you do, just keep asking for help when you need it. That's what this board is all about! :)

It took 2-3 weeks for Rosa's energy levels to really start picking up. She had odd days earlier than that where she was obviously feeling a bit better, but it's only really in the last 6-7 weeks that she's been completely back to normal (she was diagnosed on January 12th). Now she's back to jumping on the bed at night where to begin with, even if I put her on the bed she'd climb down and hide under it instead. He might also be missing being outside for the moment - would he tolerate a harness at all? That's how I got around Rosa's love of the outdoors while still keeping her safe...now I take her for a walk every day that the weather's dry (or at least she takes me for a walk - it's not like walking a dog...the cat definitely decides where you're going next)! I used to have a large enclosed area where she could go out while still not being able to disappear, but since moving here it would be too easy for her to get to the road, so I'd already got her used to the harness before she was diagnosed but it might be worth a try for Winston to see if he'd tolerate it to get him outside...once he's feeling up to it, exercise does help to keep BG levels down!

9. puppy8910club

puppy8910club Member

I dont think he would like a harness tbh but worth a try. It would be good if i could net off my garden so he can roam at his will. He loves sitting ontop of my flat shed in garden watching the world go by. i feel guilty sticking him indoors.

I know the reason for keeping is is so they dont eat food they shoudlnt, but as he is such a "Scared cat" i know he doesnt go near anyone else house for food. There is plenty of cats in road thou and often gets in fights, but its a shame to keep him locked up for now. For his own good at moment .

10. manxcat419

It is for his own good unfortunately - and with insulin, you need to be sure he's back in at shot time too so if he's difficult to get back in the house, that can be a factor too. I got my 2 used to the harness by putting it on them with the leash detached and then letting them wander around inside wearing it until they got used to how it feels. I was really lucky at my old house because the garden had high fences on all sides so the cats couldn't get to anywhere else but could be outside just the same. Here, they could just wander off which of course I can't let them do. My Rosa thinks the whole world is her best friend so she really could go getting into food she shouldn't have because wandering into someone else's house wouldn't worry her at all...I'd be less worried with Regan because she's terrified of people she doesn't know...always the way! :rolleyes:

11. puppy8910club

puppy8910club Member

help / question - Just gave him a insulin shot, his ears to hold / touch seem very hot. Is this normal? Should i be concerned?

His paws seem normal temperature just his ears hot ?

12. manxcat419

It should be fine. I did notice Rosa's ears got warmer once her BG readings came down a bit - I don't know if it's really linked or if I was just more aware of it...or that she actually was warmer in general because she was getting more nutrition out of her food to keep her warm. I'd just keep an eye on him to make 100% sure he's not acting like he has a bit of a fever, but I doubt it's anything too concerning.

13. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Check my signature link Secondary Monitoring Tools for some other assessments you can make to evaluate him. Some of these are the kinds of questions you get asked when going in to see the vet. Hydration is a good one to check.

"The normal body temperature for cats falls in the range of 99.5-102.5 Fahrenheit. Fever, referred to medically as pyrexia, can be defined as a higher than normal body temperature in cats – a body temperature of at least 103.5 ° F (39.7° C)." per Pet MD

14. puppy8910club

puppy8910club Member

thanks all will monitor im sure it be fine also, - As mentioned before now his 3rd day and he just sleeps, and lays no playing. Does seem ok but as outdoor cat before i hope he will gain some "life" soon and be playful. poor lad must be bored..

15. manxcat419

It does take time for them to get back to normal. Rosa showed no interest at all in her usual trick of rushing to try and get out whenever the front door opened for a good couple of months after diagnosis. She's right back there now and goes out every day it's dry for a walk, but that was one of her last normal behaviors to come back - to begin with, even when I took her outside she really wasn't interested in being there and just sat next to me until I brought her back in. She also spent a lot of her time hiding early on - I don't think she was really hiding from us as she always seemed pleased to see us, she just really wanted peace and quiet while she wasn't feeling great. Does he have a couple of toys (ones with catnip in are good) so that if he does feel like playing he's got something he can do indoors?

16. puppy8910club

puppy8910club Member

Yes he has a massive scratching post, his OWN bedroom lol. Double bed with all his covers / blankets although most time he likes it under bed. He has scratching pads / posts up and downstairs, numerous toys / feather sticks i try play with but just not interested. He also has cat nip toys yes. Again not playing at all. He just lays on his own and doesnt want to sit with me although he wasnt always such a "lap" type cat. He would sit on sofa near me.

He spent most day laying on window ledge i left window open a little so he could get fresh air. I hope your right and im sure u r he will come to life in a while, its just strange from him being so active and hyper and after insulin being so low and tired. I have sprayed feliway around house also. Bought new toys today but just not interested.

Ideally i would like him to go outside midday as he is good with returning home after few hours but ill follow vet orders until he stable and keep inside.

manxcat419 likes this.
  17. manxcat419

He sounds just about as spoiled as our kitties here LOL!!

I do think he'll be fine - it sounds as though he's got everything he could possibly want...and then some!! ;) Of course during the first few days on insulin especially, it's important that you're aware of the changes in his behavior so you're right to ask when you're not sure, but I do think he'll start to pick up as he gets used to the new routine and starts to feel better in himself. And I do think fresh air is good when he's been used to going outside - anything you can do for the moment that helps him relax and feel more normal about things has to help. :)

18. puppy8910club

puppy8910club Member

Heres an open question i am sure i will be shot down for saying this but hear me out...

Winston has had a number of problems over last 3-4 years, Fix one thing and something else happens bless him. As i have said before he is an "outdoor" cat and even has his own cat house in garden. I understand he needs to be inside for his injections and also to avoid eating other cat food. Now winston is VERY shy i would not eat from anyone i.e walking up to house and letting someone feed him... Either side of me i have 2 dog owners, but there is cat owners further down street.

He is urging to go outside, and for time being i will keep inside until we control his level. What are your thoughts of letting him outside once i have his level under control??

He does eat grass / weed does that affect his level?

I would in an ideal world like to let him out in the morning , his injection time is 6am so maybe 8-9am and then get him in around 2pm with his injection at 6pm. I could also let him outside in evening as he always comes home .. Do you think it would be ok to let him out for a limited time?

He just so sad wanting to go outside and i really think his quality of life would suffer being inside as he is just bored and even when well was never a playful cat??
    Its a gamble to let him outside, but iim thinking i would rather him have some freedom / fun than coupe up inside 24/7 waiting for the worst..... ?

Appreciate all opinions and i understand most will say keep inside. Its the balance of getting him "stable" first, then outside for limited time ...
    I just dont think he would enjoy life inside 24/7 especially when i am at work from 7am-4pm. My partner does some different shift work so can let him in / out randomly.

The safest time would be after evening injection as he comes home later that night???

19. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I would only allow supervised outside time. I had a cats that always came back except the last time when she never came back.

20. puppy8910club

puppy8910club Member

thats sad to hear... Was your cat that didnt come back diabetic ? Or just "out of blue" never came back??

Winston for all his life has been outside and always comes back, but i see your view.

21. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

It was not a diabetic cate and that was about 35 years ago.

22. puppy8910club

puppy8910club Member

23. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Cat Fencing - pick one about about 6 feet tall, and with a 45 degree angled section that bends inward which most cats cannot get over.

Here are 3 listed by Neighborhood Cats

Last edited: May 17, 2015
  24. ProtectaPet

ProtectaPet New Member

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.