GA (01.01.2001 - 05.08.2015) Blackie is gone

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Angela & Blackie & 3 Others, May 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Angela & Blackie & 3 Others Well-Known Member

This message is one that I knew was coming... eventually.

My sweet, precious, strong Blackie passed away very early Friday morning due to a seizure. She had also been losing weight for the past couple of months, as well. She had a seizure Thursday morning as she was staggering, and it looked quite uncomfortable. Unfortunately at that time, I had to get to work, and wasn't able to stay to take care of her. I did give her a Tramadol dose before I left in the hopes that it would help make her feel better. Her appetite was ok, but waned a bit towards the time I had to leave. I came home to find that she may have eaten a bit for my husband. I gave her another Tramadol dose, and decided to give her a topical nausea dose (safe for diabetic cats) in the hopes that it may have been her tummy, too. I tried feeding her, myself, but to no avail. She was walking around oddly as well... Her front end being much lower to the ground, and her rear end normal. She would take a few steps, and stop. We both decided at that point that I would take her in the next morning to have her PTS. During that evening, Blackie had another seizure, and this time laid on her side. She would rest there, and then her legs would start flailing about. She also curled up in a fetal position, and was sounding like she was gasping. My husband called me and I came quickly from the office where I was at. I knelt down beside her, held her, and told her that it was ok, Mama was there. She calmed down after that, but the flailing still continued. DH and I both knew she probably wouldn't make it till morning. I finally went to be at around 11:00 p.m. after putting her on her comfy bed instead of leaving her on the hard floor, and woke up at around 1:00 with a start. I got up, to check on her and she had passed away. My husband told me that he was up several times during that time and he already knew. I guess she let out a sound from what he told me. I put her in a box, and tucked her in the back room for the time being so that the others couldn't mess with her. I went back to bed after that, but couldn't sleep... I think I may have gotten about 2-3 hours at best. When morning finally arrived, I took care of the rest, got dressed, and got Blackie to the vet's office to have her cremated. DH picked her up from the vet's yesterday morning. We have her cremains sitting next to Daisy's on our entertainment unit. I'm pretty sure that the pancreatitis was the cause of her suffering.

FLY FREE, MY SWEET PRECIOUS BABY... AND LAND SOFTLY.

Blackie's story:

Blackie arrived on our door when she was a feral kitten along with her brother, and sister, and their Mama. It didn't take me long to tame her, and we adopted her from that point. Her brother was almost tamed, but unfortunately he was killed by a dog that we were somewhat adopting at that point. Their sister wandered out to the back road and we never saw her again. We both thought that a predator got her (coyote possibly).

Soon afterwards, she became pregnant before we could get her fixed. About 10 weeks later, she gave birth under the house to 5 kittens... Groucho, (Blackie) Jr. Mint, Tiny, Daisy, and Lil Knot (the last one died a week later). DH came home, got them out from under the house, put them in a box, and we took them inside to be raised. Blackie didn't want them in the box: she had other plans of putting them under our waterbed frame (frame with a regular mattress at the time) to raise them. A week later, Lil Knot passed away, and we buried him in our pasture the next day. Since that day, I was a vigilant Mama myself, and kept checking on them to ensure that they were all ok. Blackie decided to move them from under the bed, to behind the couch. Perfect, I thought, as I could check on them all the more. Eventually, they started to claw the couch to freedom. Scooter, our beloved big boy, never, ever harmed them. I think he was glad to have some more cats to play with, and company, too.

Like all kittens, they grew up to become very loving, happy individuals. Daisy became my best friend, and would always be with me come bedtime. Tiny, was, and still is, a bit standoffish. Groucho has a foot fetish, and would always rub on anyone's feet. Jr. Mint was also a bit standoffish, but he was born without a whole lot of sight because of it. He did, however, manage to move around the house as long as he didn't rush, otherwise he'd hit it. We had Jr. Mint for about 11 years, and Daisy for 12. We still have Groucho and Tiny, thankfully, and of course, our adopted kitty, Aurora.

Up to March, 2010, we had been free feeding them all, and then on a Thursday morning, I noticed that Blackie was sitting next to the water dishes, drinking. First thought, she was just warm due to the fact that March was turning into a rather warm month that year. Friday morning, I saw her doing the same thing. Doing a quick search on the internet, I determined that there's a high possibility that she was diabetic. I told DH that evening when he came home from work what I thought, and we both took her to the vet's Saturday morning. BW showed everything was normal except she was diagnosed as being diabetic. It was lifestyle change that I was willing to make for her.

We started her on Glipizide tablets, but soon that didn't work as she threw them up. Then we tried her on Vetsulin, but I think that was recalled due to the lack of zinc in it. Then we tried ProZinc, and eventually upon much more research, I found FDMB. A kind, wonderful lady, who thankfully lives in my almost immediate area came by to show me how to home test her (this being after several trips to the vet's, and a mounting vet bill because of it). Blackie and I soon became comfortable with home testing. Eventually, I put her on Lantus, and I tried in vain to get her OTJ during the 5 years.

Again, after much more research, and a whole lot of trial and error, I got her on a very good food, and I was working with her feeding schedule, and happened upon giving her a meal at around 4:00 p.m. one day. I thought it would raise her #s, but it did the opposite instead, much to my pleasure. Eventually, I managed to finally get her off the insulin after 5 years. March 5, 2015 was the last day she had insulin, and was deemed officially OTJ from that point on. I tested her on occasion to check on her, and every test came back normal.

Incontinence started, then, the pancreatitis happened. Neuropathy... I could handle for the most part, but this diabetic enemy was something that I didn't know anything about. I tried to control it with pain meds, and nausea medication, but I think it was too much for her towards the end.

I thank FDMB for all that you have offered her during the time we have been here. I'm very glad that I came upon you folks as you have given me the knowledge, hope, confidence, friendship, and most importantly, patience to help Blackie with her diabetes and other ailments. For that, I am very grateful.

Thank you. I will probably be donating her insulin soon to those that need it.

Now, I am changing out the remaining 3 (Groucho, Tiny and Aurora) cats' food to Merrick as I've heard some very good things about it through my husband's best childhood friend who works for Petco about 1.5 hours away from us. We visited with him yesterday, and I came out of there with a small bag of the Senior dry, along with quite a few cans of wet. And the transition begins... I don't want them to have any health issues if I can help it.

Last edited: May 10, 2015
    Sarah & Jackie likes this.
  2. Michelle and Mannie (GA)

Michelle and Mannie (GA) Well-Known Member

Angela, I am so sorry to read this. I know you are heartbroken. I do hope that all Blackie brought you, all those wonderful memories will be of comfort to you. Always remember she will be with you forever, tucked away in a corner of your heart. Fly free Blackie. You will alwyas be remembered, never forgotten. :rb_icon:

3. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Requiem aeternum, Blackie.

{{hugs}}

4. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Oh Angela, I'm so sorry to read this.Rest in peace beautiful Blackie. We never have them long enough.:bighug:cat_wings>o:bighug:

5. Marshmellow & Steve

Marshmellow & Steve Member

Though we have not met, my condolences to you. Be sure she will watch over your other kitties. Thank you for sharing your story. :bighug:

6. Tina & Sammy

Tina & Sammy Well-Known Member

:bighug: Angela :bighug:, it is heartbreaking to read this. I was so happy that Blackie had finally gone OTJ after so many years on insulin, and you finally were able to take a bit of a break. It breaks my heart that so soon after that you lose her. Fly Free Blackie!
    cat_wings>o:rb_icon::rb_icon::rb_icon::rb_icon:cat_wings>o

7. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

((((((((((Angela))))))))))
    I'm so sorry. Blackie knows you love her with all your heart. You worked so hard to give her a better life.
    You will see her again, meanwhile, sending many hugs and prayers for your grieving heart.
    Fly Free Blackie.
    [​IMG]

8. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

((((((Angela))))))

I am so sorry. Blackie was a stalwart kitty who only wanted to be by your side. She will join her family at the Bridge. Rest easy in your heart that she will be happy there and waiting for the rest of her beloved family.

Fly free Blackie and land softly.

[​IMG]

9. Jamye and Fred

Jamye and Fred Member

I'm very sorry for your loss. Our furkids touch our lives for a time and hearts forever.

tiffmaxee and Sarah & Jackie like this.
  10. MollynSkooter

MollynSkooter Well-Known Member

Angela, my heart is utterly breaking for you. I am so sorry that it was Blackie's time.....

Dear sweet Blackie, your friends at the Rainbow Bridge eagerly await your arrival, just remember momma misses you so much, so be sure to send her a sign that you arrived safely to the Bridge

11. Lori & Lulu

Lori & Lulu Well-Known Member

Angela, I am so sorry to learn about your precious Blackie. Fly free, angel girl.

12. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Dear ((((Angela)))),

I know how much you will miss your little mama cat. She has earned her beautiful golden wings and is at the bridge with Daisy, Jr. Mint and her other kitties, watching over you, your DH, and the rest of the family. Many of her old friends are there to greet her. :rb_icon:
    Fly free, sweet, brave Blackie. You are much loved. cat_wings>o

In deepest sympathy,
    Ella & Edward, Rusty, and Stu (GA)

13. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

I am so very sorry, Angela. Blackie's bright and beautiful spirit shines on, over you and over LantusLand. Our thoughts and prayers are with you....

14. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry ((((Angela)))))

Fly Free & Healthy Beautiful Blackie
    [​IMG]

15. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

(((Angela))) I am so sorry for your loss. You were such a caring and devoted Mom to Blackie. My heart goes out to you.

16. MrZ

MrZ Well-Known Member

Angela, I'm so sorry to hear Blackie's gone on to the rainbow bridge. May you find peace in knowing that her body is now healed and she is without pain.
    Fly free and land softly little Blackie.
    cat_wings>o

17. Anne & Zener GA

Anne & Zener GA Well-Known Member

(((((Angela))))) I am so sorry. Blackie certainly had an interesting life, thank you for sharing her story with us.
    Liz

18. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh Angela, I'm SO SO sorry it was Blackie's time to cross. BIG HUGE LOOOOOOOONG HUG....what a wonderful life full of love you all shared.

Soar high on your new angel wings sweet girl - landing softly back in Mama's and Papa's broken hearts.

Thoughts and prayers for comfort for your hurting hearts....

MollynSkooter and Sarah & Jackie like this.
  19. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

A wonderful tribute to your Blackie.

cat_wings>oFly free dear Blackie.

20. suki & crystal (GA)

suki & crystal (GA) Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear of your loss Angela, be at peace Blackie.cat_wings>o

21. Tena and Curry(GA)

Tena and Curry(GA) Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry to hear about Blackie. She was so fortunate to have such a caring and loving Momma. Big hugs for you today Angela.

Fly free sweet Blackie. Land softly my dear.

22. mariko

mariko Well-Known Member

(((Angela)))
    I am so sorry for the loss of your beautiful Blackie.
    I think that when we try very hard to care for them like you did, they know and cherish that forever, even after the crossed.
    Blackie is happy and at peace knowing she was so very much loved, and you and your DH gave that to her.
    You are lucky to have found each other.
    Sending many hugs and prayers for your broken heart. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

23. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

(((((Angela)))))
    I'm so sorry. This is sad.
    Thinking of you and wishing you moments of peace and comfort as you remember dear sweet Blackie...

cat_wings>o Fly free dear Blackie...

24. Linda and Scooter & Jack

Linda and Scooter & Jack Well-Known Member

25. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

I'm terribly sorry, Angela. You were so devoted to Blackie and she knew how much she was loved.

Fly free little one and land softly.

[​IMG]

26. Vicki

Vicki Member

:bighug:I am so sad to hear about your sweet girl Blackie. Thank you for sharing her story.
    Her spirit is now flying free.
    cat_wings>o

27. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

{{{Angela}}}

I am so heartbroken to read this. I recall how you struggled to save Daisy and how devastated you were when you lost her. You took great comfort in Blackie, and she in you. I know what good care you took of her, and we all rejoiced with you when she amazingly went OTJ after 5 years on the jus. You gave her a wonderful life, and now she is with your beloved Daisy and the others at the Bridge, watching over you and your family. Many hugs and prayers for you, and for your DH, who has been wonderful through all this.:bighug::bighug::bighug:

Fly free, dearest Blackie, and land softly.

[​IMG]

28. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

What a wonderful tribute to your dear kitty Blackie, Angela!!

Our hearts break along with yours at your loss.

Fly free, sweet Blackie
    [​IMG]

29. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

(((Angela and DH))) my deepest condolences. Blackie was one lucky kitty, and we will all miss her. Fly free sweet Blackie.

30. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Ann & Maggie11 (GA) Well-Known Member

(((Angela))) It's hard to find the words when we lose one of these precious Angels.
    I am so saddened to hear about Blackie. My condolences to you and your DH. Lots of hugs and prayers.

31. milosmommy

milosmommy Member

Angela
    I am so sorry for your loss. Blackie is free now and watching over you. I know what you are feeling and understand how hard it is. It has been 3 weeks since my sweet Milo passed and I can say it does slowly get easier. Remember the good times and know Blackie is still with you.

Hugs
    Meredith and new baby Allie

32. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Angela, I am so sorry Blackie has gone ahead. May he rest in peace.:bighug:

33. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Our very deepest sympathy, Angela. It's been so apparent over the last five years how much you love Blackie and all the things you've done to take care of her. She was a very lucky girl. I know she will live on in your heart forever.

Fly free, Blackie.

[​IMG]

34. Suzanne & Cobb(GA)

Suzanne & Cobb(GA) Well-Known Member

Fly free, Blackie!

So sorry for your loss Angela.

35. MJ+Donovan

MJ+Donovan Well-Known Member

Donny will greet Blackie at the Bridge...

[​IMG]
    MJ

36. Deanna & Billie

Deanna & Billie Well-Known Member

Angela, I'm so sorry for your loss. Fly free, sweet Blackie.
    :rb_icon:

37. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

Angela, I couldn't believe what I was reading on FB, that your sweet baby had gone ahead .. You are such a dedicated momma to your babies and blackie was in the best of hands with you .. My heart breaks for you as I know how much you loved your girl .. May you find peace and comfort in time ... ((hugs)) Fly Free Blackie ...

38. Josie & Ripley (GA)

Josie & Ripley (GA) Well-Known Member

((((Angela)))),
    I am so very sorry. Your love for Blackie resonates throughout L&L Land. Sending you love and light.

:rb_icon:
    Fly free, sweet Blackie.

39. missMeows

missMeows Well-Known Member

I'm so very sorry to hear about Blackie. Even though I had never met the little furbaby, your story made me feel like I knew her. Thank you for sharing and I wish you peace and fond memories in this tough time :bighug:

40. Deb & Spot

Deb & Spot Well-Known Member

Oh, Angelia, I am so sorry to hear that Blackie has crossed over the bridge. My heart is hurting with you. Fly free, Blackie

41. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry Angela. I know Blackie knew how much you loved her and you did everything you could for her. Sending prayers and hugs. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Fly free sweet Blackie.

42. knolet

knolet Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry for your loss Angela. Fly free Blackie, land softly, you will be forever missed.

43. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Lisa and Do Lou (GA) Well-Known Member

44. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Lisa and Do Lou (GA) Well-Known Member

I am so sorry for your loss
    Fly free Blackie:rb_icon:cat_wings>o

45. Laura&Chichi (GA)

Laura&Chichi (GA) Well-Known Member

So sad to read this tonight..my heart aches for you Angela. You were an awesome momma to sweet Blackie. rest in peace little girl..
    10926422_1028550490493109_891239671513480318_n.jpg

46. Barb & Checkers (GA)

Barb & Checkers (GA) Well-Known Member

Angela, I'm so very sorry for your loss of Blackie. You were such a good mama to her. My heart aches for you.:(

47. Darin & Charlie

Darin & Charlie Well-Known Member

Angela, sorry to hear about the passing of Blackie.

48. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

Angela, I am so sorry to hear of your loss.. ((Hugs))

When tomorrow starts without me
    Don't think we are far apart
    For I will always be beside you
    Right there in your heart

Wendy

49. Rachel & Chyna (GA)

Rachel & Chyna (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh (((Angela))), I'm so sorry for your loss and heartache. I know you have had such a rough time with losing your beloved ones:(. You did so much for her, and she knew you were both so lucky to have each other and all that love. Many prayers and hugs are going your way to comfort you:bighug::bighug::bighug:. Fly free, sweet Blackie:rb_icon:

50. Sgans and Eegie - GA

Sgans and Eegie - GA Member

I'm so sad, and so very sorry to read this. She'll rest well, knowing how well she was loved. My thoughts are with you. cat_wings>o

51. manxcat419

manxcat419 Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry to hear Blackie has gone to Rainbow Bridge. She was an inspiration to so many of us being healthy on insulin for so long and then going OTJ after all that time too. And you were the best mama she could have asked for. My thoughts are with you at this sad time. :bighug: :bighug: :bighug: cat_wings>o

52. Marilyn and Polly

Marilyn and Polly Well-Known Member

Oh, Angela. My heart breaks, too. I'm so sorry. She was just the best little girl with the best mama.

Light for Blackie's safe passage. And for your comfort.

Marilyn and Polly

53. Sarah & Jackie

Sarah & Jackie Member

This is the first I got to hear of your sweet baby girl and it breaks my heart. So very sorry.....it's the hardest thing, losing our babies, even knowing they're at peace and well......still hurts so bad.

54. Vyktors Mum

Vyktors Mum Well-Known Member

I'm sorry it was her time (((Angela)))

I'm glad she got to spend her last couple of months OTJ and that you still have some of her babies (and your adoptee) there to comfort you.

Fly free beautiful Blackie:rb_icon:

55. AZJenks

AZJenks Well-Known Member

May Blackie's spirit forever live on in the hope that she inspires in all of us that success is possible no matter how long the battle.

56. Megan & Oren

Megan & Oren Member

Angela, so terribly sorry at Blackies passing. May her memory and spirit be a comfort with time. Fly free sweet Blackie, with no more pain. She had a devoted mama and was a well loved kitty. Peace and comfort to you :bighug::bighug:cat_wings>o

57. Voula

Voula Well-Known Member

My deepest condolences to you Angela on the loss of your beloved Blackie. May precious memories sustain you at this most difficult time.

58. bettyandhank

bettyandhank Well-Known Member

I am so very sorry about your Blackie, Angela. My sympathies to you. Fly free sweet girl. cat_wings>o

59. Paula

Paula Well-Known Member

Angela,
    So very sorry for your loss. Blackie, so beautiful, may she rest in peace.cat_wings>o
    Blackie will send you a sign from the rainbow bridge that she is safe and happy while she waits
    to see you again.:rb_icon:

60. ramonaghan

ramonaghan Member

I'm so sorry for your loss. Rest well, Blackie, and know you are loved always.

61. Jen&Eddie

Jen&Eddie Well-Known Member

Angela - I'm so very, very sorry for your loss. Blackie will be dearly missed by all of us here in LL. You and her are such an inspiration. I'm so glad she earned her OTJ badge before it was her time to go.

62. Sandy and Black Kitty

Sandy and Black Kitty Well-Known Member

63. Peg and Toby

Peg and Toby Well-Known Member

Angela, Sending you and DH my deepest sympathy. Our kitties are a big part of us and when we lose one it's like losing part of our family.cat_wings>o

64. Patricia & Noodle

Patricia & Noodle Well-Known Member

Angela, I'm so sorry for your loss. How lucky you and Blackie were to have had each other for so long. Prayers that you and your family find comfort and peace in happy memories.

65. Georgia and Simon (GA)

Georgia and Simon (GA) Well-Known Member

Angela, I have not been on the forum for a little bit and was so heartbroken to hear about your precious Blackie. Thank you for sharing Blackie's story. The love you had for her will always be with you. You gave her such a wonderful home. Fly free, sweet girl!

66. Tiger(GA) and Ruth

Tiger(GA) and Ruth Well-Known Member

(((((Angela)))) I am so sorry for your loss- Blackie was an icon on this forum from the first time I logged onto this forum. Fly free sweet Blackie and land softly-- you were loved so much little girl!
    heartcandle.jpg

67. Melissa & Tarragon

Melissa & Tarragon Well-Known Member

Oh Angela. I am so very sorry. Fly free sweet Blackie and land softly. ((((Angela))))

68. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Angela & Blackie & 3 Others Well-Known Member

Folks, thank you all for your wellwishes, thoughts, and prayers. Somehow, I knew that she wouldn't pass at a later age... From the start, it was like she wasn't going to have that kind of luck, you know? I was lucky enough to finally get her OTJ after 5 years, but beyond that, I didn't know how, or what to do, other than to try and make her as comfortable as humanly possible. I don't ever regret taking care of her for as long as I did as she did give me tons of knowledge and tons of patience, and would do it all over again, but do things differently. I just hope not too soon, though. Both Blackie and I did acquire a lot of friends on here, though, and for that, we're both eternally grateful. Blackie is now sitting next to her daughter, Daisy, on the entertainment unit where I can see them both. I take comfort that she's with us... That they're both with us. I feel relief that she's no longer in pain, and yet feel sorrow that she's no longer with us. We have a lot of wonderful memories with her, and she'll always remain in our hearts, and our thoughts. She'll always live on.

Now, we have only Tiny, Groucho (brother and sister, and Blackie's remaining babies), and our adopted kitty, Aurora.

69. Deborah & Shasta

Deborah & Shasta Well-Known Member

Angela, I am so sorry for you loss. You and Blackie have been great friends to many of us here on FDMB. My heart aches for you and your family. Fly free, sweet Blackie and enjoy your new life at the Rainbow Bridge. We will miss you, immensely.
    cat_wings>o

70. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Julia & Bandit (GA) Well-Known Member

I am so sorry, Angela. Blackie couldn't have had a better caregiver.

*hugs*

71. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

Angela, I'm so sorry to hear about Blackie. I've not been on the board for a few days, I'm sorry not to have seen it earlier. Blackie was so lucky to have found your doorstep. She will always be there with you, watching over you.

Fly Free, dear Blackie!
    [​IMG]

72. MonetsMom

MonetsMom Member

Angela my heart is arching for your loss of sweet Blackie . I hate I did not see this sooner but it has been awhile since I've been on. You were such an Amazing Mama to Blackie! Send ing you my thoughts, Prayers, and lots of hugs.

Risé

73. carolyn & jesse (GA) & spock

carolyn & jesse (GA) & spock Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry it was Blackie's time to leave you. Wishing you comfort and peace.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.