? 01/01 - Freckles - wrong side of ear for testing, hit vein and bled profusely

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Judy and Freckles, Jan 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Judy and Freckles

Judy and Freckles Well-Known Member

Hi all,
    Last night DH offered to check Freckles' blood glucose. He pricked the outside (hairy) part of the ear but made a mistake and pricked on the side of the ear that is closest to Freckles' midline. He must have hit the vein because the testing room look like a CSI. I was able to get it to stop bleeding 4-5 times but every time I released her ear, she would either flick her ear or shake her head and it would start bleeding again. Overall, it took almost 2 hours before it finally clotted. (I used a cold wet cloth and applied pressure. I also tried an ice cube but that was too cumbersome). Normally, I do the testing and a little bit of pressure to the prick spot and that's it, we are done. Is it normal for that location that DH tested to bleed for so long?

2. Jennifer R.

Jennifer R. Member

Oh no! I was testing that side of the ear on my cat, because I was being dumb, and it wasn't causing that much bleeding. Is your cat taking extra fish oil?

3. Judy and Freckles

Judy and Freckles Well-Known Member

No extra fish oil, but DH definitely hit the vein.

4. Jennifer R.

Jennifer R. Member

I know I've hit the vein by accident, and it bled, but the bleeding stopped fairly quickly with local pressure. Seems excessive.

5. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

He must have hit the vein fair and square.
    I have tested Sheba on all parts of the ear at times when the normal spots needed a rest.
    It was probably just unlucky that he gave the vein a good puncture.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.