01/04 Merry - AMPS 4.8(86), +3 2.6(47) gave snack, +4 5.5(99)

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by LuanneP, Jan 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LuanneP

LuanneP Member

So far Merry is having a nice green day :) I asked hubby to test him at +3 since he was only 4.8(86) at AMPS & he was 2.6(47) at +3. Because I wasn't home I told him to give Merry a snack & make sure he ate it & check him again half an hour after eating. His snack was just his regular food & at +4 he came up to 5.5(99). I'm home now so I will monitor him closely. Maybe we'll get another reduction today! We may have been able considering he was in the lime greens at +3 but since I wasn't home I didn't want to take any risks.

How do people do this when no one is home all day & they're at the point that their kitty is hitting the lime greens? I'm lucky that I can come home at lunch right now although I only get 30 mins so it's a race home, check Merry's BG, let the dogs out/in & race back to the office but I can't do that every day. Hubby is home some days but not always. There will be days when no one is home for 8 hrs so I don't know how those days will be safe for Merry with him hitting these low numbers like he is.

2. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Mandy & Rex (GA) Well-Known Member

I had to worry about Rex, too. I either raced home at lunch or I gave higher carbs for his breakfast before leaving so his numbers would be higher before he hit nadir.

LuanneP likes this.
  3. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

So happy for Merry, he has really turned a corner!

To answer your question, I don’t have to do that regularly so I don’t know if there’s a particular trick as an everyday thing. You need to know how he responds to what carb food and how long it will keep his numbers up and then you can play around with an away feeding schedule that works. But the worry will probably stay regardless. I overdo it on the carbs when I have to be away during “scary hours” because it gives me more peace of mind, but Asia is not so predictable, especially at surfing in greens. Do you have an auto feeder?

LuanneP likes this.
  4. LuanneP

LuanneP Member

Thanks @Mandy & Rex and @Stacy & Asia :) Merry is good about eating when he needs to. I always put a lot of food in his bowl at breakfast so he has some to eat later. Hubby said he was eating just before he checked his blood at +3 when it was lime green (I asked him to feed him another snack though to make sure he ate enough) & I've found he does ask for food & willingly eats when he needs it. Maybe I'll start leaving food in a timed feeder now so I know he'll eat it & then hopefully if he's ever low & no one is home he'll eat from the feeder.

5. LuanneP

LuanneP Member

Lots of blues after that lime green today. I’m home now until Monday so hoping we can earn another reduction! Hope everyone has a good night :)

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  6. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Looks like Merry is holding this reduction well. :D

LuanneP likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.