01/05 Gizmo PMPS=192, +1=237, +2=125, +3=114, +4=83, +5=89, +5.5=99, +11=136

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by LizzieInTexas, Jan 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

01/04 +11 223

AMPS 226

Have a great day beans and kits.:bighug:

2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I hope Gizmo gives you more blue today.

3. LizzieInTexas

He gave hubby a couple last night! :cool: I think he will.

4. Osha

Osha Well-Known Member

Slide on down Gizmo!

Have a good day Lizzie.

LizzieInTexas likes this.
  5. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Looking so good Gizmo :cat:

6. LizzieInTexas

I have a question - when do you test for Ketones? How often? The blood meter I ordered shows it will arrive today. Once a month if no issues? With the strips almost $2/ea I don't want to test for no reason.

I have no reason to suspect any issues and bought it more a precaution than anything else because it was less expensive (and much less stressful for Gizmo) to get the meter and strips than a trip to the vet to test, with Gizmo the pee test was/is NOT an option with him.

7. Bobbie And Bubba

Usually, when a kitty gets into the 300 range you would want to grab a test. Or if Gizmo would get sick and stop eating it would be good to test for ketones. I know what you mean about the strip cost. :eek:

8. LizzieInTexas

Thanks.

I don't think he has ever had them but am unsure about the episode when he was in the hospital in August (and lost all the weight and muscle). This was when he was first dx with diabetes and quit eating.

I will just keep them handy (in his supply box) and just know that I have them JIC.

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  9. Bobbie And Bubba

I bought a lot of them also because Bubba did have ketones back last Dec. and he lost a lot of weight too. Interesting enough, he was only in the 200's when he threw ketones. It was after a dental with 2 extractions and then 6 weeks later surgery to remove his right eye. Surgery, stress and infection can cause them to develop ketones.

10. LizzieInTexas

Someone posted the guidelines (ranges) for the ketone blood test - I can't find it. I want to put it with my meter so I don't have to hunt for it (should I ever need it).

Can someone post it here or link to it?

Here is what I found - is this still accurate info?
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...oacidosis-dka-and-blood-ketone-meters.135952/

The latest published research/studies in cats indicate ketones will begin to show up at readings of 2.4 and 2.55 on a blood ketone meter

If I don't get a response I will put a "?" and note in the subject line. It isn't dire important - I don't want/need to draw immediate attention.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  11. LizzieInTexas

So his sign was not eating/weight loss? This area is still a mystery for me and am trying to read up on/learn it when I have the time.

12. Bobbie And Bubba

When Bubba had ketones, he was just stuck in the mid 200 range and would not budge. He was also eating like crazy, starving, well because he was. One of the former mods on the boards kept saying "are you testing for ketones?" And I wasn't because he wasn't that high. Finally, after the mod said it again for the 5th or 6th time, I tested and he was moderate ketones. :eek: Ultimately, with the help of the "Ketone Busters" here on the boards, we used Novolin R along with the Lantus and got rid of the ketones and he started responding to the insulin. But, it took us to 5.25 units before he started earning reductions.

Actually, testing for ketones is probably a good thing to do when they are in the upper 300 's and above .

13. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

That's the guideline I've always used. Some kitties are more prone to keytones than others. It's one issue Doodles has never had even with horrible neuropathy in the beginning and being stuck in red & black last March. I don't even check anymore.

14. Gussie's mom (GA)

Gussie's mom (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending blue vines to you!:bighug::bighug:

15. LizzieInTexas

@Bobbie And Bubba & @Doodles & Karen
    Thank you very much! I will probably test once when it arrives - just 'cause :cat: then stash them away. Trust me - he definitely NOT starving.

@Gussie's mom
    Unfortunately I may never know during the work day.:confused: But I suspect he is there based on his +1.5 this morning.

Auugghh, there are more layoffs happening at work. I was so hoping, with the new year, all that was over with. Yesterday they laid off 30 people from one department here in Houston. I have no idea if any are slotted for my department - fortunate for me I am the only person who does purchasing - but been at this game long enough to know that even that doesn't make one "safe".

16. Gussie's mom (GA)

Gussie's mom (GA) Well-Known Member

Yikes on the layoffs, I hate how things are run these days..out with the old in with the new sure doesn't just apply to the calendar year anymore here...:mad:
    Sending protection and yay for being indispensable vines your way:bighug::bighug:
    Surf safely Gizmo while your Bean brings home the bacon:bighug::bighug:

17. LizzieInTexas

In this case that might be a good idea (old management, not old/long timers). I have been less than impressed with the executives at the helm over the past 5 years or so - but what do I know, I am just an underling/worker bee.

18. LizzieInTexas

PMPS 192

History:
    AMPS=226, +1.5=239

I would guess he hit low blues today if not greens.

19. Osha

Osha Well-Known Member

Osha had ketones when she was in the low 300's and decided she didn't want to eat. I test when she gives me a couple of pink numbers.

Nice pmps Gizmo. Work the juice safely tonight!:cat:

20. LizzieInTexas

What is with these huge drops @ +2? Is this still the depot at play? 4th cycle at reduced dose.

Well last nights was @ +4 but early in the cycle.

I am concerned about tomorrow AM - and leaving him all day.

21. LizzieInTexas

+5 89 (snack was 30 min ago). Is this still the depot at play? 4th cycle at reduced dose.

If it is then I am not so concerned about tomorrow AM - but if it is NOT:

What about tomorrow a.m.? I am kinda concerned to leave him with these numbers.

Tomorrow am cycle:
    He will get a a LC snack 1 hour after I last test and leave for work (that will be 7:00am).

Next snack will be 2 hours after that (+4.5 or 9:00am).

Next snack will be at +6.5 (or 11:00am).

22. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

The depot can influence 4-6 cycles after a reduction. Tonight were nice safe, healing greens. :D Looks like he was clearing the bounce today, which can also give a little extra downward momentum.

23. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

I think your feeding schedule for tomorrow is fine. If you are uncomfortable shooting, based on his AMPS, then skip. Safety first. .

Gizmo, no funny stuff while Mama is at work!

24. Bobbie And Bubba

Yes that which is in bold above in when ketones in cats start to show up on a human blood/ketone meter. Also, here is some info on it as well
    Measurement of ketones - Weingart_J VET Diagn Invest-2012(1).pdf
    Measuring ketones - JSAP_Zeugswetter - 2012.pdf

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.