01/05 Sam Siam pmbg 155, +2 182 DOSING ADVICE??

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by donna & sam siam, Jan 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. donna & sam siam

donna & sam siam Member

I just cannot figure out what lil Sam is doing! His numbers were green all day so I didn't shoot last night. I just tested (it's been 23 hrs!) and he is at 103! I'm assuming I should go ahead and shoot, but I only have about 1.5 hrs to stay and check him. Anybody had this happen?

**I could push it and stay for an extra 1/2 hr if necessary, just will be a bit late for work.

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=60085

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Re: 01/05 Sam Siam ambg 103 DOSE QUESTION...again...sorry

This is a breakthrough! The issue is that you've not shot this low. I don't know if you saw this note from Libby last night:
    Will you be able to get the +1 and +2?

My guess is that Sam is going to bounce but there's no telling if that will actually happen.

3. donna & sam siam

donna & sam siam Member

I will be able to get the +1 & will just have to call in late to get the +2 if I have to. So do you think I should shoot?

Yes, I saw the note & that's why I'm concerned

4. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

Hi guys .. yay! This is the breakthrough you've been working for .. great job guys! I hope you can get those spot checks in today to see where sam is taking this .. have a great day guys!

5. donna & sam siam

donna & sam siam Member

Thanks Peter for the encouraging words. I'm just waiting for the bounce or something cause this is all new to Sam. Chose not to shoot this morning and went ahead & fed Sam. Will test again before work & try to come home at lunch. Again, thanks!

6. Linda for Weezer

Linda for Weezer Well-Known Member

Congrats to Sam, and you Donna!

7. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Looking very good here. Way to go, Sam!

Ella & Rusty

8. donna & sam siam

donna & sam siam Member

Thank you all...but I'm still holding my breath. Just can't see him staying there this early in the game. Going home to check him at lunch. I'll let you know! ;-)

9. donna & sam siam

donna & sam siam Member

Re: 01/05 Sam Siam ambg 103, +1 98, +2 109, +6 121

This has been a crazy couple of days to say the least. Sam has not had a shot since yesterday morning. As of this writing, that's 29 hrs!! What gives?? Not that I'm complaining :smile: , I'm just confused :?

I have to switch over to another meter so am testing him today with both so I can see how the numbers compare (The numbers I'm posting are with the old meter I've been using).The new meter seems to be reading 20+ higher so that is a lot. Who knows which one is accurate?? Y'all have told me that they vary so I wasn't surprised, but it is a bit unnerving not knowing which one is correct, esp when it gets to the low numbers. That could be dangerous. Either way, his numbers have been beautiful!! Still holding my breath!

10. mybuddybinks

mybuddybinks Well-Known Member

Binks and i are weighing in with a cyber-slap comment...

DONNA!!!!!!!! no need to apologize for asking questions!!
    that's what this forum is about!
    (you know I'm joking about the slap)
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

what awesome numbers, Sam! i'm thrilled to see this!

celi

11. donna & sam siam

donna & sam siam Member

Back atcha with the slap!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: I have a terrific sense of humor, so no worries there!! Gotta luv ya. And thanks for the encouragement, I just feel like when people see my name pop up they think, Oh man isn't she ever gonna get it?! I KNOW you all don't mind and are more than happy to help. It's just me...always trying to do things on my own. But without you guys Sam would be in big trouble. A HUGE THANKS TO ALL OF YOU!! :YMHUG:

12. mybuddybinks

mybuddybinks Well-Known Member

:lol: :lol:

Binks and I felt like the "grand inquisitors" when we started :D
    things like
    "he just looked at me!!! does that mean something??" :lol:

13. Barb & Checkers (GA)

Barb & Checkers (GA) Well-Known Member

Donna, those numbers ae beautiful. :D

Never hesitate to ask questions. Folks here, are all about supporting, and love to help.
    I'm still asking questions, after two years. I still get freaked out over things others take for granted..like bounces.

14. donna & sam siam

donna & sam siam Member

Re: 01/05 Sam Siam pmbg 155

So here's the update on sweet lil Sam Siam. He has stayed in blue all day. After eating, his pmbg was 154. Will monitor to see if I should shoot. It's really baffling me, but putting a huge smile on my face! :D I have been testing all day using the last of my Accu-chek strips and at the same time using a new meter my sister gave me so I would know how they compare before I switch over. It's the Clever Choice by Simple Diagnostics. Think the doc gave it to her. Haven't heard of it. Anyhow, it has been VERY interesting in the different readings. There has been a 20-48 pt difference, with the Accu-chek being lower every time. Actually though, this last check they were exactly the same! Weird. So I decided to compare the new meter with my husband's Bayer Breeze that I was using in the beginning of Sam's testing. The Bayer was 30+ pts higher (only one comparison) which was crazy cause that meant it was waaaay higher than the Accu-chek. Unfortunately, I think that since I have been using the Accu-chek his numbers have been off/lower. It's an older tester and probably needed calibration. Either way, I am now going to be posting his numbers using the new Clever Choice. I am out of Accu-chek strips and this tester is much newer.

Still holding my breath of course...anything can happen. Thanks for all of your help and support!!!

15. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

Re: 01/05 Sam Siam pmbg 155

this is all great! never heard of the Clever Choice meter, but the accu-check is considered one of the accurate ones. who makes the new one?

donna, from a dose of 1.25 to zero insulin, there are several lesser doses if one reduces by .25. technically, you don't reduce the dose unless they go under 50, but if you are choosing to skip instead of shoot, another option would be to shoot a reduced dose. if he were mine, i'd want to give insulin a little bit longer.

would you want to put "dosing advice?" in your subject line so others can weigh in with some thoughts?

16. donna & sam siam

donna & sam siam Member

Thank you Julie, I didn't even think of that. And now that at +2 it's 182 I wonder if that might be a good idea. Thing is, I'd need to do it quickly otherwise I'll be off in the morning. What would you reduce to if it were your kitty? Any advice out there??

The Clever Choice is made by Simple Diagnostics. Think it might be the one Medicare supplies?

17. julie & punkin (ga)

if Sam Siam were mine, I would return to the last dose of 1.25 and see what happens at the next shot time. but you have to do what you feel comfortable with.

18. julie & punkin (ga)

ps, after skipping 3 shots, his shed will be affected and it might take a few shots before it's refilled.

19. donna & sam siam

donna & sam siam Member

Ok, I'll go for it since I can monitor at +1 & +2.

20. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

beautiful. :smile: Remember that your next shot is due 12 hours after this one...

One of the former gurus here called this "the Snap," when the cat just all of a sudden stops bouncing an "snaps" to all blue/green. It is a thing of beauty. :smile: It always catches people off guard, though, because usually one day the numbers are pretty terrible and the next day all of a sudden they are wonderful. The good news - when the bounce goes away, that means the pancreas is starting to work. :mrgreen:

This is a big adjustment and you're doing great. He probably has been running off of his shed for the past couple of cycles, so that is why the numbers stayed good even without shots. It's possible that the numbers might go up for the next couple of cycles as he is refilling his shed, but they also might not. You're at a point where you just have to follow his lead. Also (just to give you a heads up), often once a cat hits the Snap, they will start earning dose reductions pretty quickly. Make sure you are well stocked on high carb food and test strips, just in case.

21. donna & sam siam

donna & sam siam Member

Very helpful information! So, if his numbers keep staying fairly low (but high enough to shoot) should I still take him through 6 cycles on the 1.25 since he hasn't had a shot for awhile, or what would tell me he earns a reduction, only a low bg? I guess what I'm asking is, until Julie suggested I keep shooting for awhile, I would have thought not to do it since his numbers were good. I'm not experienced enough to know what to do now. I won't be able to check at +1 &+2 in the morning if his numbers are lower like they have been so I would have to not shoot again. Am I making ANY sense??? I will be able to monitor better on the weekend.

Also, with the new meter (out of Accu-chek) I guess I will have to take that into consideration knowing it reads higher than the Accu-chek.

22. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

His numbers HAVE been good but 155 and 182 are much higher than we'd like to see....so some insulin again would be good.

You would continue to follow the protocol. He has to earn his reductions by going under 50 OR if he's been at normal numbers (on insulin) for a week wiithout earning a reduction, you can decrease his dose.

With the way he's running, I think you really need to have those +1 and +2 numbers to see where he's headed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.