01/06: Esse AMPS=416

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Michele and Esse, Jan 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michele and Esse

Michele and Esse Well-Known Member

Morning, all...

Yesterday's condo: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1346

Today:
    PMPS+10=404.
    AMPS=416

WCR: snuggled down into the big pillow, sprawled and happy. LOL. She's such a goofus. I forgot to put food down overnight; will stock up on catsicles today, so that I can actually remember. I do think that no food available overnight is a problem for her...

Still high, though. Not much change from PMPS, so hopefully this is the ceiling. I am going to revisit raising the dose today; am open to all input from everyone. I've spent some time on some ss, and I see how it would be beneficial at this point. I was hoping she'd return to some low pinks/yellows on her own today, but at this point, I'm not holding my breath. No ketone check, as I've not caught her in the box.

Sigh. I do have to go to school today for some hours, so don't want to change her dose this morning...but tonight is possible. Let me know your thoughts!

Best-
    Michele

2. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Re: 01/06: Esse PMPS+10=404

I agree on the food bit, that can make a difference. Let's see what input you get throughout the day.
    Have a good day Michele!

3. Michele and Esse

Re: 01/06: Esse PMPS+10=404

Sigh. AMPS=416. Shot a fat 2.5 Will see how that does.

Best-
    Michele

4. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Let's see what Esse thinks about the fat dose...hope you have a good day at school and come home
    to a prettier number...agree that food,snacks can work the BGs so it is worth experimenting with that...
    Ok Esse....can you try on a lower color for your Mama today? ;-)

5. Michele and Esse

Heading down to school in about 30 minutes...but her +2.5 only shows 394. She's come down, but not a lot.

If the fat doesn't do anything, I'll bump to 2.75 tonight or tomorrow.

Blergh.

Best-
    Michele

6. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

A couple of thoughts....

I think it's important to decide on a dose and stick with it. I'm pretty sure you know this but for the sake of repetition, Lantus doesn't work best with frequent changes in dose. In addition, it's rare see the effect of an increase in the same cycle. You're forgetting about the need to get an overall blood level established. Further, I'm thinking that raising the dose by 0.25u will help to kick start Esse's pancreas. There are lots of instances where you need to up the dose in order to be able to move down the dose ladder. Esse has been at high numbers for a while. Her liver is way too used to these numbers as being "normal." I think we need to get Esse's liver to forget that a 400+ is an OK place to be.

I also think it would be easier to follow Esse's numbers if you would edit the subject line of your first post of the day to reflect her progress over the day. On the old board, this was a 'no no.' On this board, the only way to see what's going on is to edit the subject line of the first condo. I sometimes have trouble finding out where Esse's latest test info is. Maybe others don't have this issue. I'm just concerned that if you want input, it's going to get missed because the question, a low number, etc., is buried in your condo.

7. Michele and Esse

Re: 01/06: Esse AMPS=416 +5.5=386

Sienne, I get so confused about what we can put in the subject line and not...so it's o.k. to edit my original post to include questions or new numbers? Good deal - I'll do that.

I **do** understand how Lantus works. I really, honestly, do. I told my vet I'd give 2 weeks on 2.5, and I really would like to keep that agreement with her; but if Esse's health needs me to bump the dose, I will. One thing that hasn't been thoroughly considered is that I went over to a less expensive food than Wellness a few days ago (it's noted in my ss); Friskies and FF. I am, as of lunch today (now), going back to Wellness. I want to see if the carbs in FF and Friskies are holding her high, and if feeding Wellness works, then the dose won't need to be changed. And, I am also going to try to feed some ground food (frozen then cooked), as that may be something else I can try, and it will be less expensive than even Wellness (in the long run).

I hate to put it so bluntly, but I'm unemployed, no source of income while I'm at school, and Wellness is a bit over $2 a 13 oz can. With 9 cats, and three 13 oz cans a day, that adds up fast. So I've been trying to find something else which will work for her; thus the change back to Wellness, because I think diet has a lot to do with her refractory sugars. Since I saw better numbers at a lower dose, I'm not immediately thinking 'more insulin'; I'm thinking what else has changed, when did it change, and how could that affect her sugars? And if I can test it fairly simply, then I will...

It's just a frustrating puzzle right now.

Best-
    Michele

8. Jen and Oreo (GA)

Jen and Oreo (GA) Well-Known Member

(((Michelle))) it is frustrating. I started with Wellness and due to noses going into the air, switched over to FF.

ETA: is she still getting the Baytril for the infection? If the infection is still there it could be affecting her numbers still.

9. Michele and Esse

Thanks, Jen. I appreciate the hug; a lot. And I just went and hugged my girl...

They will eat the Wellness; they actually seem to enjoy it, too. Not saying that they'll choose Wellness over Friskies, but if it's all there is, they do eat it and seemingly with pleasure (the bowls are usually cleaned out by the next feeding time...). So...we'll see if the Wellness return will bring her sugar lower; hopefully, I'll see some change soon.

Best-
    Michele

10. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

hi michelle! what is the percentage of carbs in the friskies? maybe we need to up the dose if it's higher than the wellness. i understand unemployed. if friskies is on the low carb list. we'll just work with it. kwim?

about esse's numbers... with her history of ketones, i wouldn't be messing around with adding fat to the dose. she needs an increase. if we don't give her more insulin, we'll be flirting with ketones again. imho, you could easily raise the dose to at least 2.75 units. i encourage you check for ketones as soon as she gives you an opportunity. please post the results. if she does throw ketones... we may may want to think about a larger increase than to 2.75 units.

(((hugs)))

11. Michele and Esse

Re: 01/06: Esse AMPS=416 +8.5=446

Sorry, forgot to post - I caught her in the box at lunchtime. No ketones. YAY for small favors.

So far, no joy on the food change. She's eating Beef and Chicken Wellness, which is 4 carbs. Friskies Poultry Platter is 7. I have also fed her W Chicken, which is 4, W. Turkey, which is 4, and W. Turkey and Salmon, which is 5. So the Friskies is close to twice what she had been eating, but is about 1/2 as expensive. Her bg is 446 at 8.5...but it might take some time to clear. I also feed, and think I'd like to continue feeding, Trader Joe's Tuna, which is 1 carb (but I do limit that to 4 meals per week at most).

I will not be home to monitor tomorrow until tomorrow night. Same with Friday. I can get a few checks in tomorrow evening, and Friday evening...and the weekend is a good time for a good series of tests. If you all think it's utterly necessary, I'll bump her up to 2.75 tonight, and see what happens. I'm just concerned because I did promise the vet (the one I like) that I'd give one dose a two week shot, but if Esse needs me to, I'll go up. She'll understand, when she sees the numbers - she says she's familiar with the Tilly protocol, so...we'll see if she really is. Rueful LOLsigh.

Best-
    Michele

12. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Please understand -- I get the financial end of this. Poor and student are synonymous. With you having committed yourself to your 9 kitties and a horse (and I don't remember how many others you feed), you've taken on a huge responsibility. How can we help?

13. Michele and Esse

Prayer has been my lifeline...so that's what you can do; remember us on occasion when talking to The Big Guy, deal? Or perhaps some vodka and oranges...or a spare valium. LOL. I've gotten enough Lantus to last a while, ditto the syringes. I'll get by with the food issues, too. My vet will let me make payments if necessary, so that's covered. And I've got a meter, but the test strips are dear. Again, though, I've always found enough. "Sufficient unto the day" is my motto, and that's what has always happened. As for others I feed, I cook meals for my father, and I buy horsefeed for an abandoned horse at my barn (I cannot stand a starving animal - I'll go without before they do, you know?). But again, it was my choice, and I can't put this onto anyone but my own shoulders...I won't complain; besides, a student loan is coming in February, so it's just a bit of a scratch for right now. Besides, peanut butter is cheap (and I'm not allergic to it) and I was given 50 pounds of plums over summer, so I made a ton of jam (and it's good, too!). Counting my blessings where they appear is a good thing. ROFL. And a neighbor is a retired baker, so...I get lots of bread. No wonder my waistline is...well...rising. ROFL. I'll live. I'm just kvetching.

I think that I'm just feeling a tad overwhelmed. Esse's apparent hearing loss, the lump, her skyhigh numbers, worrying about school and Dad and Mom (on the east Coast), trying to balance and juggle and tapdance - while holding a champagne glass of water and singing the national anthem- can be a bit tiring.

I'll bump her up tonight. She's at 442 at +11, so there's no real change. I just am sad I have to; I feel like she's not getting better, no matter what I try. She's a good, good girl and I want her to be o.k., you know? So...she gets bumped tonight.

It'll come right in the wash, eventually. Sufficient unto the day...

Best-
    Michele

14. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

my wee thoughts on the foods are bigger cans.

I got some friskies in the past that are 13.2oz / 374 gr and now i have some Sophisticat big cans too. they may be lots cheaper.

15. Michele and Esse

You're right, Gayle, they are cheaper; I'll keep that in mind if we switch back. thanks!

PMPS:457. Shot 2.75. She was not interested in the Wellness (wanted her friskies, I'm sure), but seems to be in a good mood - purring, stood for the shot, all is normal...

We'll see if this is the change she needs...I am so hopeful it is.

Best-
    Michele

16. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

(((hugs))) Michele.
    I also am feeling frustrated by J.D.'s high numbers recently. Although it seems to be either I'm praying to God that he doesn't go too low while I'm at work, or I'm praying to God that his numbers would get better.
    As far as saving some money, I'm pretty money conscious and always buy my strips from EBay. And I feed wait for sales on Fancy Feast and stock up while I can and feed Friskies a lot too. My cats also eat boiled chicken breast for treats, and I buy it when it's on sale. You're doing good Michele, and you're a good person.
    We are here for you.
    Good luck with the dosecrease. Come on down real nice, Esse.

17. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Here's hoping we see some improvements in Esse's numbers now with the dose change.

I do know that there is not as wide a variety of flavors in the large cans, but if try a flavor that comes in a large can and small, Esse can decide from trying a small can and then you can get the big can.

Even with just one cat eating wet, I still need to watch the pennies as they are needed for strips and stuff.

Sending positive thoughts to Esse.

18. Michele and Esse

Thanks, Dyana. I'm hoping there will be enough extra from the loan to stock up mightily on food and strips...I'm thinking there will be, so it's just a bit of time until then. Thanks for the hugs, I do need them. And also, thanks for understanding the frustration. I just feel at my wits' end...not that it's a long wit road to begin with. It'll be o.k., it's just getting there that sometimes sucks. I can't wait to graduate and get a job...to finally be a nurse, to earn a decent living, and to be able to control some things in my world. It would be so nice!

Gayle, I hadn't thought of giving a small can to see if she'd like it. While we're on the Wellness, let's see where her sugars go...with Wellness and a new dose, maybe something will happen. If possible, I'd love to get back to FF or Friskies, but if she does better on Wellness, then that's what everyone will get.

We'll see what the next few days hold. Maybe we'll get some yellow sunshine. Wouldn't that be nice?

Best-
    Michele

19. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

((Michele)) Hope the increase will help Esse girl..

20. CD and BigMac

CD and BigMac Well-Known Member

Michele, I'm glad you increased the dose. I understand how hard that was for you and you really tried to get it to work without an increase. With this new dose, I hope and expect that Esse will respond with better numbers. She'd been on the previous dose long enough to know it wasn't quite enough... for whatever reason. (((Hugs to you)))

Ok, Esse, it's up to you now, we are looking for some sunny and cooler colors here!

21. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

good luck with the new dose!

I know it's hard to keep increasing, but every cat needs a different amount of insulin. Lucy got up to 4.25 units and it was a long haul (and frustrating) while we were working up to the dose. Then she got a bunch of reductions, and then she made me work alllllll the way back up to 4.25 again! Every cat has a breakthrough dose, we just have to get her there. ((((Michele))))

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.