01/31/2012 Spitzer - ?? exocrine pancreatic insufficiency ??

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by BJM, Jan 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Previously

After reading about exocrine pancreatic insufficiency (EPI), I am considering moving the carb level up higher (maybe up to 15%), as fat digestion can be impaired in this and Spitzer needs calories - he's emaciated. I don't think he'll ever be off insulin, so while it may take a higher dose of that, he might be able to gain back a bit of weight. He's now at 3 units due to his illness(es) and this morning was 350 @ AMPS. I'll be asking my primary vet about digestive enzymes too. EPI means all the enzymes produced by the pancrease may be reduced or almost non-existant and he may need supplemental enzymes to help digest his food.

Spitzer left me a present by the front door, so things are moving through. No observable mucous, nor blood, just a heap about 2 cups worth. It was a darker brown, which may have been the food - a mix of Fancy Feast & Purina Pro Plan Turkey & Giblet dinner and the Pro Plan is a very dark color. I haven't seen any vomiting this morning.

He ate well this morning, though he was a bit miffed to wait after the sucralfate (given 1 hour before a meal, or 2 hours after). He was less than thrilled to get the metronidazole - compounded or not, it doesn't taste very good! He ate the pill pockets with the ondansetron and cyclosporin, though the cyclosporin one got hung up on a tooth and it took a while for him to get it out of his mouth. He also got a tiny dose of buprenorphine by syringe, to help with any pain.

2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Re: 01/31/2012 Spitzer - ?? exocrine pancreatic insufficienc

God bless Spitzer...You're a good Mama Bean...Continued prayers
    jeanne

3. Ann & Scatcats

Ann & Scatcats Well-Known Member

With pancreatitis, there don't seem to be a consensus whether amongst humans with pancreatitis or animals with it, concerning the actual fat content that should be given to a pancreatitic pancreas.

Are you moving up the carbs with dry food?

Here is a tiny list then with the different % content, and my vet's (whether right or wrong) ordered Simba to eat the low fat w/d when he had his first pancreatitis in 2007.

m/d carbs 15 % - fat 44 % - protein 43 %

w/d carbs 37 % - fat 24 % - protein 24 %

even the kidney k/d has such low protein as w/d's 24 %, k/d has 22 % protein, but they need their proteins too.

In Simba's case it didn't matter the fat content, but he did develop diarreha on the w/d, as well as he later did with the k/d, and now have with the m/d.

Hope you find the right thing for Spitzer and that the enzymes works!

4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Stopped home @ +6-ish to check on Spitzer.

He was alert and there was no evidence of vomiting obvious, nor any additional pile of poo by the door (thank you!)

I checked food dishes on both floors. The upstairs one, in which I had mixed some Wellness Core, was almost empty (carb addicts, all of 'em). Core runs about 10% calories from carbohydrate and all the cats made a beeline for it when I put it down this morning, mixed about 50/50 with the canned Great Choice. Spitzer ate some of it, so I was glad to see no vomit, nor evidence of uncontrolled poo anywhere, despite consuming some of the Great Choice (plate on 2nd floor).

I sent my friend explicit instructions of the feeding and dosing needed tonight. The insulin, in particular, started with "if no evidence of vomiting, give 3 U of Lantus; if evidence of vomiting, give 1.5 U of Lantus, since apparently he doesn't understand that no food + insulin = potential hypo.

He'll text me while I'm in rehearsal. I suspect Spitzer may run a bit higher, from mixing the Core in with the canned, but we'll see. Maybe he won't eat as much because he'll feel fuller.

5. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Member

We had a dog who had pancreatic enzyme deficiency but not diabetes. He became terribly thin. His stools were clay coloured (I think, it was along time ago) He was finally diagnosed when our vet sent his blood to a lab in the US. Treatment was to give him pancreas enzymes in his food. Same medication that is given to people who have cystic fibrosis. I believe that it is available without prescription here. With the enzyme, our dog gained back most of the weight he lost and went on to live a good life. I wonder if this might be an option for your cat as it would help digest proteins fats and carbs.

Just read what wiki had to say about PEI, dog was a german shepherd, he had classic symptoms and he was once presented with some pancreas to eat (from the butcher) and he gobbled it up as fast as he could.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.