02/01/2012 Spitzer - not herpes, something else!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by BJM, Feb 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Previously

The results of the upper respiratory panel are in ... and Spitzer does NOT have feline herpes, nor calici, influenza, or bordatella viruses.

He has mycoplasma felis. Here's a spot of reading for you.
    test
    Info

It may be treated with doxycycline, so I'll be picking up tablets at the pharmacy, cutting them smaller if needed (important: doxy known to cause esophageal strictures if lodged in throat!), and putting them into pill pockets.

(I have been giving his pills before putting down fresh food, so that ensures something helps push through any pill pieces.)

He has had respiratory issues for FIVE YEARS! Now I'm wondering if it was always mycoplasma felis!

Spoke with the primary vet about exocrine pancreatic insufficiency - she's going to do some reading. A TLI test (tests for trypsin) can confirm, powdered enzyme supplements are preferred, and it would be OK to give before a definitive test as it shouldn't be harmful. I'll be checking www.iHerb.com and if anyone has any recommendations, I'm open for feedback.

Thanks, everyone, for your good wishes.

2. Ann & Scatcats

Ann & Scatcats Well-Known Member

Have he ever been bitten by a flea?

3. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Can you please have some words with Spitzer and let him know you would prefer if he needs to be sick that he have something simple and common. Give treats and thank him in advance.
    He'll like ignore you and snicker, but give it a try.

4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Its entirely possible.
    The question is when? He has had problems with eye and nose goop forever.

When he was born at the shelter 5 years ago, he was the offspring of a cat seized in a humane investigation. He and his momma were housed in the intake ward and he caught every respiratory infection that came through. When I brought him home, he had double pneumonia and it took 2 IV antibiotics, and 6 months for his lungs to clear on x-ray.

At my house, there have very intermittently been fleas. Of course, fleas can sneak a ride in on anyone, so making the rounds with flea treatment is probably a good idea.

5. Ann & Scatcats

Ann & Scatcats Well-Known Member

Spitzer is a fighter, determined to live.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.