02/10-Freckles/Judy - AMPS 358, 299@+3 - SS ? and IR ?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Judy and Freckles, Feb 10, 2020.

1. Judy and Freckles

Judy and Freckles Well-Known Member

Yesterday's post

Not overly surprised about this morning's numbers since I skipped the shot last night. So hopefully, we can get back to where we need to be.

A couple of questions this morning:
    1). Sometimes my World SS is not automatically populating in the US spreadsheet. I'm not sure how to fix this and I know Marje is gone for awhile, so I'm wondering if someone else would be able to check out my SS? (It's not populating in the PMPS cell and it didn't auto populate in the +3 for today's AM cycle). (I entered some bogus numbers for today and it did not autopopulate in AM +2, +11. PM +1)

2. Second question is about breaking insulin resistance. With Freckle's low number yesterday, I started thinking (again) of her insulin resistance. When IR cats hit their 'magic number' that 'breaks' the resistance, is it like the flood gates just open up and the insulin just pours in and does it's thing (so it would be like all of a sudden giving 7u to a cat that only needs 2u)? Or, is it more of a gradual 'acceptance' of the insulin where the body gradually stops viewing the resistance as something it needs to fight against? I'm keeping in mind that ECID but just wanted to hear about other people's experience.

I haven't got the IAA nor Acromegaly test results back yet, so I'm really just curious how the whole IR (insulin resistance) breaking point progresses.

Thanks in advance... looking forward to the answers! :)

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  2. Sandy and Black Kitty

Sandy and Black Kitty Well-Known Member

When IAA breaks its fasten your seatbelt time.
    With a high dose kitty it’s prudent to err on the side of caution.

Better day too high than an hour too low.

here’s what it looked like for BK-

40C4604B-D4D3-4154-94F8-D7A3A254407A.jpeg

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

IAA typically takes more like a year (plus or minus) to break. For Neko it was 9 months, but corresponded with treating her acromegaly. And depending on the cause of the insulin resistance, we can paint many different scenarios. Neko had to get up to 8.75 units, came rushing down after treatment, slowing down at some points, then down to 0.75 units before her dose needs slowly increased again. Then she hit around 3 units and I need to race to keep up with her increasing dose needs as the tumour grew again, got up to 7 units, treated again. plummeted again. Higher dose cats can keep you on your toes!

Freckles might also have some glucose toxicity going on. If you break that, you can see the amount of insulin required go down a bit.

PM me about the spreadsheet, I might be able to help you. Bit rusty, but remember having the same problem. It's basically that the formula attached to the US spreadsheet cell goes missing or has a problem with it.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    Sonia & Leo likes this.
  4. Judy and Freckles

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    Sandy and Black Kitty... that's one wild ride for sure! BK was up to 32 u? and ended up OTJ?? That's incredible!!

Yes, I see that. I remember reading someone's post that going hypo is the #1 killer of high dose kitties! That got my attention for sure! I will see how things go in the next few days and then see if this may be a good time to get the Libre placed on Freckles again (her little bald spot from the previous Libre is growing in lol).

I will PM you. If you don't have time to look at the SS, that is totally fine. It's not a big deal - I just need to remember to check the US SS and manually enter in numbers if need be.

Going to go and snoop on BK's and Neko's SS now..:cat:.

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

The main reason those high dose kitties hypoed is lack of testing. Unfortunately dose needs can change faster than the once every couple weeks curve at the vet clinic. :rolleyes: And by the way, we all have handled rapid changes without resorting to the Libre, which is a pretty new device. Total aside, I have human friend who has one too.

BK was on both Lantus + R so that adds to the units. I used R with Neko too, but her R dose was never higher than 0.5 units.

6. Judy and Freckles

Ok. That's good to know. I was envisioning on taking poor Freckles to the city with me everyday. But if DH can get in a couple of tests during the day, and I'm here at night then we should be good. (a bit of a helicopter mom maybe???? :oops:)

7. Sandy and Black Kitty

Sandy and Black Kitty Well-Known Member

Insulin resistance due to IAA is much different than glucose toxicity. It’s not a matter of reaching the magic dose and breaking the resistance. Its giving your kitty enough insulin to try and stay below renal threshold while keeping your antenna up to spot signs that the IAA is letting go.
    The way it works is that a cat starts producing a crazy amount of antibodies toward the insulin. The antibodies grab insulin before it gets to do its job.
    When insulin sensitivity returns, it can happen quite suddenly and large amounts of insulin previously bound to the antibodies may be released. Due to the half life of the antibodies insulin needs can fluctuate for several weeks. Add a large depot (the gift that keeps on giving ) to the mix and it gets more interesting. On BKs ss you can see some of the aftermath first 3 weeks of February 2009. I had very little sleep.