? 02/20 Diamond amps 320

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by krazy4kritters, Feb 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krazy4kritters

krazy4kritters Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/2-19-18-amps-343-diamond-help.191403/
    I'm new to posting in the group. In yesterday's thread I explained what is going on with Diamond. I want to switch to TR. How exactly to I figure out a starting dose. I read the sticky but and still a bit confused. Diamond currently weights 23 lbs. I am unsure what his ideal weight should be. I have searched everywhere to try to some info on ideal BMI based on your cat's frame. I found formula using cat's back foot measurement and height. However, because of sever neuropathy he can't stand. How do I measure that? Anywho, the vet said 16 lbs would be good. The timing of her answer and the look on her face made me feel she may be unsure about that. I personally think 18ish lbs. I did the math on dosing for 18 lbs and my mouth hit the floor. Seems like soooo much insulin. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!
    ~Nicole

2. Carol in Chicago

Carol in Chicago Member

Hi Nicole, You got some great advice yesterday. If you are able to monitor and want to move to TR, it looks to me like an increase is in order. Don't focus on being perfect to start. TR will allow you to make more frequent and safe increases. Diamond is already on insulin, so you aren't starting "from scratch". You have some history and are home monitoring so you are in good shape to move forward.

Based on what you have said, here are a few other points:
    (1) You may want to use a magnifying glass or super strong reading glasses if you are having trouble seeing the lines on the syringes. There are a variety of different suggestions (light box, calipers, etc). Post more questions if you continue to have trouble.
    (2) Zobaline will help with leg weakness, but seems to only work once blood sugar is under reasonable control (i.e. under 300). Don't get discouraged. This will take time.
    (3) Go with your gut on the ideal weight - focus on helping him reduce slowly. This should be aided with the switch to canned, but you don't want to rush it. Do you have a home scale to monitor his weight? Some use a baby scale to monitor weight over time. How long ago did you eliminate dry? His only food is low carb (LC)?
    (4) So glad you have already set up a spreadsheet and are home testing. Looks like you are doing great with pre-shot tests. If you do want to move forward with TR, mid cycle tests are important to catch the lowest point in the cycle (the timing of which can vary), so "spot checks" are very helpful.

Again - great job getting going. I hope moving to TR will help his numbers improve faster (which should make him feel better overall)! Please keep asking questions. You will find many who will offer help.

3. krazy4kritters

krazy4kritters Member

I’ve been using a headlamp but great suggestion on magnifying glasses.

4. krazy4kritters

krazy4kritters Member

I bought a baby scale a few weeks ago. I know it took a few years to put the weight on so it will take time to get it off. I switched the whole clan to low carb wet about 5 weeks ago. I have another fatty (Norman, the blonde in my avatar) who needs to loose weight also. I am really can’t wait until I can afford start up costs of making my own food. It seems almost all LC canned is higher in fat than protein.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.