02/22/2012 Spitzer - pooh everywhere!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by BJM, Feb 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Previously

Came down the stairs this morning and found he'd had diarrhea by the front door. While there were 2 large heaps, there was a trail of excrement going down the hall.

My guess is the Clavamox; the vet agreed with stopping it, since it was prophylactic, not for a known infection.

Put 1 capsule (0.5 gram) of psyllium into 6 oz of food, which he ate readily. When I finished filling the plate (about 4 others eat from it during the day), I added a bit of FortiFlora to help recolonize the good bacteria.

I'll check on him at lunch, if my car is ready at the shop (routine maintenance).

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

OH poor Spitzer! POOR YOU! Ugg. I dont know which is better too much poo or not enough...:[
    Spitzer remains on my prayers and good vibes list. Uh your name is there too.;)
    jeanne

3. SonnyB

SonnyB Member

Oh, poor guy! And poor you! That's no fun for anyone.

I know that we've had loose stools most times anybody goes on Clavamox. It's really common. With our guys, thankfully, it's always been mild and contained in (or next to) the box.

I've never used psyllium in a cat. I may be totally wrong, but I would think it could make the stools looser. I know my grandpa used it for constipation (in himself, not in a cat) which would make me think it loosens things up. But, maybe cats respond differently, I don't know.

Good luck. I don't envy you today. Cover the furniture with baby blankets if you have them. They wash up really well. I have also found that the Bissell Spot Bot can usually handle any carpet mishap. Granted, most of ours have been hairball and human-child-spilling-stuff related, but it works great!

4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Psyllium acts to absorb excess liquid in diarrhea and to retain liquid in the intestines to reduce constipation. I gave a small amount (0.5 gram - maybe a quarter of a teaspoon) in 6 oz of food, which is more than he'll eat at one time, added more food after he'd made his first pass, and the bowl is shared with the 1st floor cats, so its unlikely he got too much.

- too much fiber increases the volume too much, which is one reason cats on a dry diet have so much stool
    - too little fiber (for humans, anyway) and you get constipation ... something he is in no danger of having!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  5. Vyktors Mum

Vyktors Mum Well-Known Member

Not a pretty start to the day but on the plus side chances are the day will only get better from here :smile: Sending Spitzer vines for firmer pooh

6. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Well it _was_ more firm ... but still by the door instead of the litterbox!

My friend does the boxes in exchange for the use of my 2nd car - and if you knew what it costs to hire someone to do litterboxes, you'd know I'm making out like a bandit! He can't come tonight. I suspect the main box on the 1st floor needs some excavating. Its actually a large plastic kennel, filled with litter, so equal to 2-3 boxes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.