02/24/2012 Spitzer has crossed the Rainbow Bridge

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by BJM, Feb 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Previously

At around 9:30-10:30 pm, Spitzer began howling intermittently, panting, and was very restless. He had difficulty standing and walking; his back legs were splayed and sometimes knuckled under. I called the primary vet and met her at the office. She drew blood from his back left leg and his glucose was 289, so not a hypo. His temp was 99, so not a fever. His incision site was bruised looking. Both back legs felt cool. She agreed with me that it was likely he had thrown a blood clot and referred me to MedVet for additional care.

At MedVet, they could not get a blood pressure in his back legs. He was in significant pain and very aggitated. The vet indicated that intensive treatment would likely run $2,00-$4,000 ... and that he only had a 50/50 chance of surviving another 10 months before having another blood clot somewhere. She said that reperfusion of the areas with blocked blood supply was pretty painful if successful and that tissue damage with necrosis and infection was very likely.

At 12:50 am, I held Spitzer in my lap while he crossed the Rainbow Bridge. Requiem aeternum, little one. May we meet each other again some day. I love you always, my schnuzzle butt.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
  2. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

((((((((((((((((((((((((BJM)))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Sending many many cyber hugs. I am so very sorry for your loss. Tears falling.
    Spitzer is flying free now, whole and healthy over the Rainbow Bridge. rb_icon
    wings_cat

3. JL and Chip

JL and Chip Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry. What a painful and traumatic evening it must have been for both of you. My thoughts are with you. Fly free, Spitzer...

4. Melissa and Bailey

Melissa and Bailey Well-Known Member

BJ I am so sorry :cry: Fly free, sweet Spitzer. wings_cat

5. Skylin

Skylin Member

:cry: :cry: :cry:
    I read your other posts the other day... they reminded me of my other kittie that passed years ago. So sorry sweetie.

6. akbahsMum

akbahsMum Member

Sorry to see you go Spitzer. ((((((((((BJM)))))))) :cry:
    So very sad to hear this news. But you did the right thing not to put him through misery for little gain. His troubles are over now.

7. Grayson & Lu

Grayson & Lu Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear this. Spitzer, I'm sure, is grateful that you made that difficult decision, and that you stayed by his side through all of this. I'll so miss seeing his updates. Rest healthfully little love, and come back regularly in memories to comfort your mama. God Bless!

8. Marcy & Klinger (GA)

Marcy & Klinger (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh no ((((BJ)))) I am so so sorry.
    Fly free dear Spitzer
    My deepest sympathies.

Marcy & Klinger

9. Harley and Pattie

Harley and Pattie Well-Known Member

Oh (((BJ))), I am so sorry for your loss. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Pattie

10. ((((BJ))))
    My heart is breaking for you. Fly free sweet boy.
    Carl

11. kse

kse Well-Known Member

I am so sorry to read this. I have been one of the silent observers that has followed Spitzer and You. I have always admired your dedication and love for Spitzer--- you provided him wonderful care.

Fly Free Spitzer.

Kim and Kitty

12. terri1962

terri1962 Well-Known Member

BJ

I am crying so hard I can barely type. You have been around for me since Lilly was diagnosed back in the summer of last year. I am so sorry for the loss of Spitzer. He truly was a fighter and had been through so much. Oh BJ I am so sorry.

Terri

13. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Sending purrs and prayers for both of you.

14. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I'm so sorry for your loss. You have been incredibly devoted to Spitzer and provided him with a final act of kindness and love.

Fly free Spitzer.

15. Jennifer & Saima (GA)

Jennifer & Saima (GA) Member

I am so sorry to hear of your terrible loss. Spitzer is free of pain now, but I know how much you must be hurting. Peace be with you in the coming days.

16. Ann & Scatcats

Ann & Scatcats Well-Known Member

Oh dear. Dear Spitzer. This really saddens me and I am so so sorry you two had to go through this.

Walk with angels, Spitzer.

17. Vyktors Mum

Vyktors Mum Well-Known Member

I am so very sorry to hear this. You looked after Spitzer so well and it seemed like he was getting better. It must have been such a hard decision for you to give him this final gift of love. You looked after him until the very end and I feel sure he will repay you by watching over you. I know he will be in your heart for ever.

18. Jenn & Baxter

Jenn & Baxter Well-Known Member

I have followed Spitzers stories from the beginning. I just can't believe what I am reading. I am so sad right now. What a tramatic evening. I am truly sorry!

Spitzer fly free & high.
    wings_cat

You are in my thoughts,
    Jenn & Baxter

19. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh, BJ, I am so sorry to hear this. No one could have done more for a kitty than you did for Spitzer. You tried so many different things, adapting to each new wrinkle he threw you.

I am so glad he left this world in your arms. He knew how much you cared and tried and loved him.

20. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin Well-Known Member

Oh no! ((((((BJ)))))) I am so sorry you had to make such a wrenching decision. My heart breaks for you having to deal with such a sudden event, but you did the best thing for Spitzer. We understand and share your sorrow.

Fly free, Spitzer. wings_cat

21. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

Oh no! I'm so very sorry BJM.

22. Karrie and Maverick

Karrie and Maverick Well-Known Member

I'm tearing up reading this. My heart is broken for you. Being so sudden has rocked your world. Maverick most likely passed from a heart attack or passing a clot. In an instant he was gone. I have comfort in my belief that Maverick was meant to be mine and that he is with me in spirit always. I think BJ was meant to be yours. He takes all the love you showered on him with him. I wish I could lessen the pain you feel and I wish I could give you a real hug. I will light a candle for BJ. Sending hugs and love.

23. Holly and Josie

Holly and Josie Member

I am so very sorry to hear of your loss of your Spitzer. You are in my thoughts & prayers!

24. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry to hear about Spitzer ... I hope you find peace in knowing he is waiting for you at the rainbow bridge .. Fly Free Spitzer ..

25. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

I am very sorry for your loss. In the end you freed him only to take on that pain yourself. There is no greater gift.

26. hmjohnston

hmjohnston Well-Known Member

I am sorry to hear about Spitzer. You gave him the best care.

27. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

My heart is broken today...oh sweet Baby - I look forward to actually being able to hug you someday.

Hugs BJ, I can't say any more right now...

28. Iorwen & Tray

Iorwen & Tray Well-Known Member

I am so so sorry to hear of Spitzer's passing. Huge hugs to you in your time of grief.
    Fly free Spitzer

29. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh my God....Spitzer...Of course you did right by him. God I'm so sorry. :(

Fly free sweet kitty. On the wings of angels, land ever so softly, till you meet again.

jeanne

30. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA Well-Known Member

(((BJ))) I am so sorry. Fly free Spitzer rb_icon

What a sudden and tragic event. You did the very best for him and saved him from certain pain.

(((hugs)))

31. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Dear BJ,
    Spitzer, that brave kitty, will dwell peacefully in your heart until you meet again. Fly free, sweet Spitzer. At the Rainbow Bridge you will find many friends to welcome you.

In deepest sympathy,

Ella, Edward & Rusty, and Stu (GA)

32. Miana & Misha

Miana & Misha New Member

I'm very sorry for your loss, I can't imagine what you must be going through right now.

33. Jill and Remi

Jill and Remi Member

I am so very sorry for your loss. I can tell how special and tough Spitzer was and I know how much he will be missed.

34. MelanieAndRacci

MelanieAndRacci Well-Known Member

My deepest condolences BJM. What a terrible thing to happen to you and poor little Spitzer. You took such good care of him and did the only thing you could do for him in the end. I hope your suffering does not last too long and is replaced by the thoughts of the wonderful times you had with sweet Spitzer.

Hugs,
    Melanie

35. doombuggy

doombuggy Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear this, BJM. We prayed for you at lunch today that you find peace and get some loving from your other cats. :YMHUG:

36. Julie and Eleanor (GA)

Julie and Eleanor (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm so deeply sorry. I know your heart is broken. May you find peace in the knowledge that Spitzer is now healthy and whole, and waiting for you.

37. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

(((((BJ)))))

I am so very sorry that Spitzer had to leave you, there are no words to express the depth of sorrow we all feel st his loss. You both fought so hard, and I was truly hoping this last surgery would find the cause of all his health problems. You did right by your little man, you set him free from his pain and took it into your own heart.

Fly free on angel wings Spitzer and give Muse a good head butt from me when she meets you at the bridge.

Until you meet again visit your mom often in her dreams.

Mel, Maxwell, Musette & The Fur Gang

38. Peggy and Mickey (GA)

Peggy and Mickey (GA) Well-Known Member

I am very sorry for your loss. Fly free Spitzer.

39. drjsiems

drjsiems Member

I am so sorry about Spitzer and grieve with you.

Judy & Jake

40. Mystery

Mystery Member

Most sincere sympathies to you BJM, and to all those who loved and will be missing him...until you meet again.

41. Anne & Zener GA

Anne & Zener GA Well-Known Member

We are so very deeply sorry for your loss. Sending heaps of love and light to Spitzer crossing the bridge. :YMHUG:

42. Barbara

Barbara Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry about Spitzer. You gave him the best possible care. We never have enough time with them!

Fly free Spitzer wings_cat

43. Fritz's Mom

Fritz's Mom Member

So sorry for your loss. Rest peacefully Spitzer.

Thoughts and Prayers for you during this time.

Jolene & Fritz

44. Louieorangetabby

Louieorangetabby Member

My deepest sympathy & sorrow for your loss of Spitzer~ I can just imagine what a tough time this has been for you~ saying goodbye is so sad~
    rb_icon may he find peace and joy in his spirit as he travels free without any more pain~
    Tracy & Louie

45. Jean and Charcoal

Jean and Charcoal Well-Known Member

Dear BJM,

I am so very sorry for your loss of your handsome Spitzer. My heart sank when I saw his picture here in your post, as he looked just like my first cat, Squeegee, whom I lost 10 years ago.

Sending many thoughts and prayers to you during such a sad time. rb_icon

((((HUGS)))),
    Jean and Charcoal (GA)

46. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

oh bj, i'm so very sorry. i know how much you loved spitzer - he was lucky to have you.

47. mybuddybinks

mybuddybinks Well-Known Member

Oh, BJ...
    Tears flowing for you...

This is just downright heartbreaking. My heart goes out to you.

All four of us lighting candles for sweet Spitzer...

Celi, Binks, Smudge, and Annie

[​IMG]

48. Maresydotes

Maresydotes Member

I am so, so sorry for your loss. ((((((hugs))))))

49. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

BJ, I'm so sorry.
    May you soon find comfort in the joys you shared.

wings_cat Fly free handsome Spitzer...

50. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

I am so sorry for your loss.

May all your wonderful memories of Spitzer comfort you...

...'til you meet again.

51. Dana & Thomas

Dana & Thomas Member

Fly free Dear Spitzer.
    Dana

52. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Oh BJ.....I'm so very sorry to hear this.....what a fighter and legend Spitzer has been. You showed him the greatest love by letting him fly free. Our deepest condolences.

53. allie and newkitty

allie and newkitty Member

I am so very sorry to read this. He was a beautiful boy, and blessed to have you for a caretaker.

54. sharon and sparky

sharon and sparky Member

Fly Free Spitzer>>>>>>>>>>>>> wings_cat <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

55. RuthV

RuthV Member

You did the right thing inasmuch as his chances were not good. Sorry you went thru this, but I am so glad you were able to be with him right to the end. You gave him release. Very brave of you in the face of sadness.

56. Marcy & Klinger (GA)

Marcy & Klinger (GA) Well-Known Member

(((BJ))) I just saw that you added Spitzer's picture. He was such a beautiful boy and had a very sweet face. Thank you for sharing him with us. (((Hugs)))

57. Rob & Harley (GA)

Rob & Harley (GA) Well-Known Member

((((BJ)))) I'm so sorry for your sudden loss. Spitzer was one lucky guy to know so much love and devotion.

Fly free Spitzer. wings_cat

58. colleenlindsay

colleenlindsay Member

I am so very sorry.

59. dmartini4

dmartini4 Well-Known Member

Oh BJ
    I am sorry I am just reading this now...
    Fly free dear Spitzer
    you gave so much
    I am so deeply sorry for your loss

Denise

60. George&Bert

George&Bert Member

I am so sorry for your loss. We all share your grief and loss.

He died having someone love him and that's very special.

Sorry again. :(

61. Barn Cats R Us

Barn Cats R Us Member

Oh BJ,

I am so very sorry for your loss. I was checking up on you, and Spitzer, and didn't realize so much time had passed since I looked you guys up. I realize an entire month has come and gone, since your heart wrenching news, but I wanted to let you know how my heart aches for what you must be going through. Please know that you are in my thoughts.

Spitzer couldn't have hoped for a better Mom. I know how his health conditions consumed your every thought, and I just wish you guys had caught some breaks. Spitzer is pain-free now, and I only wish I could help ease some of yours. I remember reading an old thread of yours, in regards to fur shots...that you wished your body would work again...or something to that effect. Well, my body isn't working with me anymore either, but I remember wishing you were my neighbor, so I could give Spitzer his insulin injections for you, since that part of me is still working for now.

Anyway BJ, I don't know what else to say, other than, finding this thread was heartbreaking, and I am deeply, deeply, sorry for your loss. I wish I could help you, the way you helped me, Marilyn, and Clarky Poo, when we first arrived on the boards.

Lighting Candles for Spitzer, and Sending You Hugs, from Deb & The Barn Cats

[​IMG]

62. RuthV

RuthV Member

So sorry to hear this. But, you did the right thing. His chances weren't good, so better to alleviate pain for him. I am sure you will miss him terribly, but in time good memories will ease your sense of loss.

63. ohbell

ohbell Well-Known Member

Dear Spitzer & BJM, tears for you as I read this.
    I will always remember you two helping others.
    Spitzer, please say hi to my Civvie Gumpy and let her show you the best places at the Bridge.
    BJM, everyone has said their sorrow to you, but please know, I too feel your pain and send hugs and prayers for smiles in memories of Spitzer.
    Fly free boy! rb_icon

64. Linda and Crash (GA)

Linda and Crash (GA) Member

What a sad night this must have been for you. So sorry. Sending (((hugs))).

65. Heather & Seasaidh (GA)

Heather & Seasaidh (GA) Member

Dear BJ,

I am so sorry. You did everything you could for Spitzer. Many tears here as I type this. We will all miss Spitzer.
    ((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((BJ)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

66. Carol&Friends

Carol&Friends Member

I am so sorry for your loss.
    I am new here and unaware of the saga of Spitzer but I have been through this with many of my own and I share your hurt.
    Godspeed Little One and Big Warm Soft Hugz, BJ
    Hugz,
    Carol

67. Doug N Libby

Doug N Libby Well-Known Member

BJ -

I don't know how I missed this. I wondered, but didn't want to ask. I am so sorry for your loss. I know you miss your sweet boy terribly - he was such a lucky fella to have someone who loved him and did everything possible for him.

Praying for you -

Libby

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.