03/06/10 MeowMeow amps 100, +10 363 advice needed

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by mrsd4ever, Mar 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrsd4ever

mrsd4ever Member

Given the problem I had this morning should I give him his regular dose this evening? (1.25) Also If the situation arises again where his preshot is around 100 and stays there even after retesting in 15 minutes should I just lower his dose and if so by how much?

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8262

2. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

when you're faced with a preshot reading you're uncomfortable shooting, the choices are:

1) stall, without feeding, for 15-30 minutes and test again. Repeat until the number rises to a number you are comfortable shooting, then shoot full dose.

2) shoot a reduced dose on time.

3) skip the shot.

#1 is usually best if you are home and able to monitor. Any time you shoot your lowest preshot reading, our "rule" is that you would get a +1 and +2 test after that to see how MeowMeow is responding to the dose. By doing that, if he does go lower than you want, you'll know about it in plenty of time to feed him (low carb or high carb) and bring the numbers back up. If you're not going to be home or if you cannot stall without making a big mess of your schedule, #2 can be a good option (choose the dose that makes you comfortable). Shooting at least some insulin will help keep the bounce from going quite as high and will keep something in the shed. #3 is the least preferred, although sometimes there is little choice.

For tonight, I think you'll be just fine shooting MeowMeow's regular dose. As far as we can see from the numbers, he did not drop low enough to earn a dose reduction, yet. His shed also needs to be refilled from the missed shot today.

I hope this helps!

3. mrsd4ever

mrsd4ever Member

Thank you. That helps alot. There is sooo much to remember. I'm kickin' myself for not givin him anything this morning.

4. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

don't be so hard on yourself. we've all been there.
    chalk this up to a learning experience. meowmeow's numbers will come back down...

5. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

Jill is right, that is one of those lessons that we've probably all learned the hard way. Sometimes you just have to see something for yourself to understand. No worries, MeowMeow will come back down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.