03/14/2014 Abbott recalls FreeStyle and Freestyle Flash

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by BJM, Mar 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

2. marygracemom

marygracemom Member

Wow, BJM thanks!!! I use these myself with the meter being built into my insulin pump. This is alarming. I just got off the phone with ABBott. I cannot believe I was not notified by the makers of my pump, Omnipod or Abbot which also had me on file.
    Thanks so much!

3. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

We were aware they were reading lower than actual values in cats; we did not know they were reading that way in humans, too!

4. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

Information from Abbott

Note that this is just for certain older Freestyle and Freestyle Flash meters manufactured prior to 2010 (and yes, some that are built into human OmniPod systems). Freestyle Freedom and Freestyle Lite are not included. The newer meters use different technology than the older ones.

5. cjleo

cjleo Member

I am on the OmniPod Pump and received a FedEx mailing last week regarding the Abbott strip recall. My meter was initially purchased in 2010, and it was replaced with the upgraded model in August of 2013. So the meter built in to the pump must be the older technology.

Thankfully, I have never used the meter built into the pump. I like my AccuChek Nano. Insurance will cover either. Allows me to boycott Abbott for their marketing practices to vets with the Alpha Trak.

Claudia

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.