03/18 381 AMPS, saw our first blue today at +8 187

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Amanda & Shmee, Mar 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amanda & Shmee

Amanda & Shmee Well-Known Member

Hello, let me start out by saying thank you all so much for any advice or comments you have given, and for sharing your stories with me.

I went from 1 to 2 units per the recommendation of my vet, and then after my second curve she wanted me to go up to 3. I decided on Friday to start following TR instead, and I told my vet I felt more comfortable moving him up to 2.25 instead of the 3 she suggested. Here is that thread if needed: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...ions-on-what-i-should-do.192715/#post-2152090
    I wish I had done this from the beginning. I had so much going on at the time of his Dx and I regret not fully immersing myself with all of this information and this group sooner.

Back to today: I started the 2.25U in the AM and we saw his first blue (187) at +8, and two hours later he was back at 339.. I am happy to see a blue number, but he didn't seem all that interested in his food today. He did eat, but maybe two cans total compared to his normal three. He is also losing weight. He was on an appetite stimulant (Mirtzapine) from the time of Dx because he wasn't eating much, but he has been gradually eating more and hasn't needed it as much. He also has a slightly enlarged liver (on Denamarin), which is also why I want to be really sure he is eating as much as he can. The last time we had a blood test his levels went down though, and that was before he even started on the Denamarin.

I am mainly hoping that jumping from the 1 to 2 units will not cause a problem in the long run... Any comments or advice is welcome. I just wanted to give an update and thank you for helping me get through this time.

Oh also, side note, I am leaving for four days toward the end of April to visit my sick grandma.. and my boyfriend is very scared about taking care of Shmee while I am gone. Seeing how he suddenly went from such high numbers to a 187 today also has me starting to be more concerned for his low numbers that are (hopefully) coming... I really hope Shmee's numbers are ok while my boyfriend is taking care of him... I would feel absolutely terrible if something went wrong while I am away.

JeffJ likes this.
  2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Great news on the first blue. :cool: Looks like he might see more of same tonight. When the +2 is a lot lower that the preshot, it's typically the indicator of an active cycle that might need more monitoring.

As for your trip, we can suggest a reduced vacation dose for your BF to shoot that will keep Shmee safe. Just post and ask a few days before you leave. Better he be a bit higher while you are gone.

Amanda & Shmee likes this.
  3. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

The end of April is a long ways away in cat time, and a lot can change by then. We'll definitely help you figure out what to tell your DBF to do, but let's cross that bridge when it's a little closer. Meanwhile, it does look like progress is being made. I'm glad you went with your gut vs what the vet said. Remember, you can get advice from anyone and everyone, but you hold the syringe and it is your cat, so you have to be comfortable with what you do.

When a diabetic cat's numbers are high, he feels like he is starving (and he is), but as they come down, he often will eat less. You might want to consider giving a higher calorie food if his appetite is not as good and he needs to gain weight. If you haven't already seen Dr. Lisa's food chart, it's worth a look. Hill's a/d is 12% carbs, which is MD, but it's 180 calories per 5.5 oz can. Royal Canin's Recovery is 7% carbs and 183 calories. By contrast, Fancy Feast's Classics are from 81-95 calories per 5.5 oz (and their cans are only 3 oz).

Amanda & Shmee likes this.
  4. Amanda & Shmee

Amanda & Shmee Well-Known Member

Thank you Wendy this is a good idea.

Thanks Tricia, I have seen Dr. Lisa's chart (love that she went through all that work for us!). The FF classics and chunkys he's eating are between 90-96 calories per 3 oz can not 5.5 oz, I just looked at the can and Chewy to double check. I will look into a higher calorie food though just in case to get him to gain weight. I bought Young Again Zero for him as well since it's high calorie (I was only going to give a small amount at night) but have not given it to him since I realized TR is strictly wet food only :/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.