03/21/18 Texas Gizmo PMPS=179, +2=250, +4=225, +11=138

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by LizzieInTexas, Mar 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

03/20 +11=135

AMPS=163

I got him to eat - but it was a struggle. The shot may have been a bit skinny (ok with me with his eating) - I tried to get a small drop out and ended up with a larger drop than I wanted.

We shall see. Gave him Ondan and 1/2 Canna.

Happy Hump day!

Kathy and TiTi likes this.
  2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I hope Gizmo eats good for you today. Sending prayers. :bighug:

LizzieInTexas likes this.
  3. Chubba (GA)

Chubba (GA) Well-Known Member

Please eat, Gizmo! :bighug:

4. LizzieInTexas

What food are your feeding? I am trying to find some different foods but the low phos/low carb is so limited.

5. Chubba (GA)

Chubba (GA) Well-Known Member

That is the million dollar question. :p I have no idea what Gizmo will or will not eat anymore. Right now I am using Friskies Mixed Grill for his shot meals (but he is tiring of it quickly). It has some carbs, and lower phosphorus (not low enough). Both of my cats loved TikiCat Chicken with egg for several months. It is shredded chicken, but recently have started to refuse it also. So I switched to Tikicat Velvet Mousse (same flavor). It is hit and miss. Lately I have been mixing some shreds with the mousse. It is such a frustrating guessing game. :arghh: I am thinking about ordering off of Chewy to try some brands I don’t have access to around my house. I just hate to order a whole case of something they won’t eat.

Girlie's mom and Beth 73 like this.
  6. HWright

HWright Well-Known Member

Hope your Gizmocam today reveals Gizmo being happy appy today.

Eat your fuds, Giz.
    ❤️❤️❤️

7. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

Lizzie , I am feeding Elmo Whole Earth Duck pate ... started my civvies on it too and it has helped my civvie Chris’s stomach upset :bighug::) Happy appy prayers to sweet Gizmo and hugs to you :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

8. MyTitan (GA)

MyTitan (GA) Well-Known Member

Vines for Gizmo's appy. Titan doesn't like the mixed grill either, but the fish, chicken and turkey favors he devoures. All pate.

9. LizzieInTexas

Is this it? Where do you get it?

wholeearth duck.JPG

10. Meeja's Mom

Meeja's Mom New Member

Hi, Lizzie,
    Both my diabetic cat and CKD civvie love Weruva Cats in the Kitchen Fowl Ball and Chicken Frick a Zee. I order them from Chewy.com and they arrive the next day. These flavors are shreds in a "gravy" rather than pate and are low carb/low phos.

Beth 73 and LizzieInTexas like this.
  11. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Hope Gizmo eats today for you. And hope he'll like the whole earth duck.

12. LizzieInTexas

That has been his primary food for over a year - he has decided that he doesn't like it (I guess, but who knows :banghead:). BTW - an immersion blender will turn it into a wonderful loose pate :D

Girlie's mom, Meeja's Mom and Beth 73 like this.
  13. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Just checking in on Gizmo, since I haven't visited your condo in quite a while. I can certainly sympathize with the foods thing. Rusty has never been food-motivated, is allergic to beef and fish, and only has 5 teeth, so needs patés. He is still liking RAWZ (96% chicken & chicken liver and 96% turkey & turkey liver), but it is not easy to find, since it is only sold in independent pet food stores. I don't know the phos. in these foods.

Sending eat yer fuds vines to Gizmo.

14. LizzieInTexas

I check on RAWZ a while ago and (if memory serves) there was none to be found for over 500 miles - lol.

15. Osha

Osha Well-Known Member

Please eat your fuds, Gizmo!

16. LizzieInTexas

I just did that. :banghead::banghead: I did chat with Chewy's customer service and they will accept returns of partial cases (free return shipping too). In the past I have just donated the food to a no-kill shelter (and may still do that) but good to know that they will accept partial cases.

This is what I ordered:
    CANIDAE - PURE - Grain Free Chicken Pate
    Holistic Select Grain Free Chicken Liver & Lamb Pâté Recipe
    Whole Earth Farms Grain Free Real Duck Recipe Pate

And last weekend I ordered (arriving today).
    Hound & Gatos Chicken & Chicken Liver Formula Grain-Free

I attached my research paper for you. I am going to look for some of the others locally at PetSmart/Petco (etc.) this weekend.

Attached Files:

17. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

Yes and I get it on Chewy .... Elmo’s kidneys are part of our fine line we walk so I go low phos as well as low carb ... civvie boys like it too .

18. Kathy and TiTi

Kathy and TiTi Well-Known Member

-
    I'm not for sure, but I think these foods are too high in phosphorus for a CKD kitty.

However, 30 years ago, I read a book by Adelle Davis, a licensed nutritionist, who treated humans with failing kidneys. She decided that a sick human needed more protein , rather than less, no matter what the scientists said. She treated her people accordingly, and they did better than those on the kidney failure diets.
    This what they call anecdotal information. Still, I decided to test her theory. After having treated 2 CKD kitties traditionally, I decided to apply her method to my new CKD kitties. As per her CKD humans, a sick kitty needs a high protein diet in order to repair the damaged cells and stay as healthy as possible.
    I found some recipes for home-made food for cats, stopped with all the advised foods, and went straight to the best quality food I could prepare for them at home.
    I found that my high protein, home-made diets caused my 3 CKD kitties to live no longer, nor shorter than had my former 2 kitties on the recommended CKD diets. Also, on the new diet, their fur was smoother and glossier, and their attitudes/behavior happier on the "forbidden" foods.

ECID, of course. And all this is anecdotal - not scientific data.

19. LizzieInTexas

I am giving phos binder so I am hoping that will be enough to help. Don't have much choice. He has to eat.

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  20. Kathy and TiTi

That sounds like a good compromise. In my experiment, I also used binders -should have mentioned that.

21. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

Thanks so much, there are many there I haven't tried to add to the arsenal...

22. LizzieInTexas

PMPS=179

History:
    AMPS=163, +1.5=215

23. Bobbie And Bubba

I hope there is something that you ordered that he likes. :bighug:

24. Bobbie And Bubba

Kathy, while I was waiting for Forrest's BW results and anticipating that he could be in the beginning stages of CKD ( he is not) I found research to support exactly what you are saying about humans, but the research was for cats and it said the same thing. Cats need protein and giving them an all protein diet did not impact CKD/ They are obligate carnivores and if they are CKD then feed high quality proteins. Some proteins have more phos than others. Poultry is lower than pork and duck is lower than poultry. I had decided if Forrest had begun CKD that I would not change his raw diet, but to be mindful of the proteins he was getting. Sometimes I think that a lot of the research out their for feline diets are so slanted by the cat food companies. JMHO.

While visiting Tanya site for CKD she said over and over: The bottom line is that your cat needs to eat. If that means giving them higher phos food, then so be it. They just need to eat.

25. Kathy and TiTi

That's so heartening to hear! And chicken is exactly what I did use, chicken breasts skinless, boneless. Used calcium supplements or bone meal. I also used chicken livers, when they started to refuse food - worked every time.
    Adelle Davis was way far ahead of her time. Her books are out of print now, but I still have some threadbare pocketbooks of hers. I like her because she was a true nutritionist - BS from an accredited university , with 20 years post grad experience. I'm leery of nutritionists who go to California (or wherever) for a 12 week crash course, emerging with, what to me seems a questionable license to practice as a nutritionists.

26. Bobbie And Bubba

Yes, I took a nutrition class in college and was told by the instructor that there is NO degree for a nutritionist. Like you said, it's a 12 week course. What we need to pay attention to is Dietician with a degree.

My research said that chicken breast is higher than chicken thigh meat. Chicken breast 3 oz is 190 mg phos and chicken thighs 3 oz is 150.

ETA: sorry Lizzie for the highjack. :rolleyes:

27. Kathy and TiTi

That's Adelle Davis' degree from Berkeley. She had an amazing amount of training: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adelle_Davis
    Berkeley offered the first degree in nutrition, which I never before knew.
    I did trust her advice. and raised a few under sized kittens, basically using her advice for newborn humans, and a wonderful vet who showed me how to tube feed. Every 2 hours for 2 weeks, until they were able to suckle. Lost a lot of weight. lol.

I've never tried chicken thighs -dunno if they'll eat it, but I'll certainly try them.

As to the 12 week course? I know a woman who took one in Cal. My God, she sometimes sounds so stupid, and she really is very bright. She has decided that all disease is related to sugar, and everyone, yes, EVERYONE is diabetic. She's the now age version of the sometimes silly, sometimes dangerous "old" new age medicine.

28. Girlie's mom

Girlie's mom Well-Known Member

Adelle Davis is PHENOMENAL! Love her books...my mom had those. Great stuff. :bighug:

Kathy and TiTi and LizzieInTexas like this.
  29. Girlie's mom

Girlie's mom Well-Known Member

I'll be curious to hear how Gizmo responds to the new foods. It's so horrible when they won't eat! Or when they'll eat, but the food they want isn't the food that's best for them as diabetics or otherwise. So frustrating! :arghh:

30. Kathy and TiTi

I'm so glad her work is still respected.

Girlie's mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.