03/23/2011 General question: If you did a fur shot and have proof

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by BJM, Mar 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

ie, mid cycle testing (say +3 to +6 ) confirms it (the numbers are going way, way up, like over 400), can you use a very small dose of R to get the glucose down a bit until you are back on schedule?

If so, what are the dose, dosing, and timing constraints? ie, how much would you use and how often (with testing of course) and how close to the next long-acting insulin dose?

No, not a current situation!

Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
  2. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

Re: If you did a fur shot and have proof

Hi BJ, and, of course, you too, sweet Spitzer,

Before you even consider using R, which I'm not suggesting, please answer a couple of questions, okay?

1. What was Spitzer's pre-shot, as well as the +3 and +6? Sorry, didn't take the time to read his spreadsheet...

2. Is Spitzer prone to ketones?

Could you answer quickly?

Thanks,
    Deb

3. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Its not a current situation, I was just wondering.

When I see someone reporting a fur shot, especially when the cat has had ketones, waiting for the next shot time has them on pins and needles. When they are able to do follow-up testing during the day and are seeing the glucose levels continue to rise, I'm sure they are very concerned about the potential for DKA.

Other than waiting, what is reasonable to do? It seemed like a teeny tiny dose of a regular, somewhat short acting insulin could be useful - but is it?

Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
  4. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

Dearest BJ, and, of course, you too, sweet Spitzer,

Sorry I was abrupt. I thought this was a real situation. Something like this topic might be better suited to Think Tank so as to not confuse newbies into taking radical action...

That said, I did use R on Giz years ago, so have some experience with it. It is not something I would encourage using. Why? Because, while initially it did seem to do the trick (0.5 U) and bring her numbers down, it's such a short acting insulin, she'd immediately (usually within an hour or two) be right back up where she was.

So, basically, what did using R accomplish? It dropped her like a bomb and shot her right back up like a rocket. Couldn't have been pleasant...

There's a reason why R should only be used by vets. In an emergency. And, in a controlled setting, usually accompanied by IV fluids.

The day I was going to do my first curve on Giz, I was pretty sure I got a fur shot. Her reading at +2 of 500 on the nose confirmed it. Skipped the curve, put a couple of drops of Rescue Remedy on her ears because she was cranky, and rode it out. Can't remember her next PS, but seem to recall 480s...

Well, that's my humble experience and thoughts...

Love and please don't give me/us a speculative heart gasp again kind of hugs,
    Deb and Nikki -- and, Giz, forever dancing in my heart...

PS: Or just somehow put it in your title, okay?

5. Girlcat

Girlcat Member

every cat is different with their response etc. Because of that,using R is ,as well. onset duration etc.it can differ depending on the cat. those of us who use R have a scale for each cat as well. R works very well provided one knows their cat and the dose to use. as far as using R for a furshot for someone not using R? it would be better off to just wait till shot time and resume your basal dose and forget about using R in that scenario.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.