04/03 J.D. AMPS 215, PMPS 425, +2 401 Fluids Experience

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Dyana, Apr 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Good Morning!!

No Aliens! :mrgreen:

J.D. is fine. He just ate his breakfast, and is in his favorite place. He was 290 at +10, so has been dropping all night from his PMPS of 417 last night. He's so strange. But he's a good kitty!

Yesterday

Btb for awhile

2. JaniceandSpike

JaniceandSpike Well-Known Member

Re: 04/03 J.D. AMPS 215

Nice to see a low yellow this morning. Maybe hes going to show his green later.

3. Amy and Six

Amy and Six Well-Known Member

Yay J.D.! Nice AMPS after yesterday's PMPS.

Dyana...you must be relieved the aliens stayed away this morning though I'm sure they dropped by some other condo. :lol:

4. carolynandlatte

carolynandlatte Well-Known Member

I am sooooo glad you woke up in time!
    It was very cold in my room this a.m. cause I left a window open. So cold even Latte was snuggled next to me. I hit snooze when the alarm went off (Never do that...just asking for trouble), and a minute later realized it was the aliens trying to take over. I was not to be defeated! So I got up. *sigh* Right away I had to check and make sure they did not make a stop at your house!

Great way to start the day for JD. New cart, ya? I hope it continues to be good...maybe a little more outside time?

Enjoy your caturday!

5. Nina and KB

Nina and KB Well-Known Member

Nice recovery, JD. I hope both our guys see some blue today. LOTS of blue today.

6. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Re: 04/03 J.D. +3 87

My neighbor just woke me up, wanting to borrow my cat carrier. J.D. was a little freaked when I picked up the cat carrier and went and hid. I started some coffee and found the cat, and tested and got an 87 :mrgreen:

I was up at my neighbors house last night helping him. His cat, Mr. Man, is 15 and has been loosing weight for many months, and last night was stumbling and wobbely and wasn't eating and was dehydrated. I showed him how to slowly syringe pureed watery food into him. He wouldn't take him to a vet, because he says he has no money. And I get the impression that they don't believe in vet visits or something. Anyway, I convinced him to call his aunt who is a vet tech, and he is on the way to her house with Mr. Man, right now. Mr. Man does look a little better this morning. I hope his aunt can help him to feel better. Good thoughts and snowflakes appreciated.

7. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Re: 04/03 J.D. AMPS 215, +3 87

Decent AMPS for J.D. But look at that +3====WOW!! NICE!!!
    Hope you have a wonderful day! :razz:

8. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Lisa and Do Lou (GA) Well-Known Member

Wow nice numbers for starting our today :YMHUG: :RAHCAT

9. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Looks like J.D. was having some highs before a low. It was very considerate of him to plan this for your day off!

I'm glad Mr. Man's bean is doing something to help the kitty!

10. OptOut

OptOut Well-Known Member

J.D. is such a bouncy boy! But he's a good boy. :mrgreen:

11. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Re: 04/03 J.D. AMPS 215, +3 87, +4 98, +5 102

Eating his 3rd 1/4 can breakfast. I need to go out for awhile.
    I haven't heard from my neighbor. I hope Mr. Man is okay.

I have an appointment on Monday to get the brakes fixed (AGAIN!) on my car. Hopefully, it will stop just fine today.

See you later. I hope everyone is getting some sunshine!

12. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Mr. Man is back - QUESTION - need to learn to give fluids

My neighbor just came back. Mr. Man looks better. He got fluids. And he brought fluids home. And, I have to learn how to give them. Any links to videos would be appreciated.

My neighbor is lending me his truck to go out, so I'm safe.

My fingers are still glued crossed (I slept with them like that, and they keep crossing all by themselves now :lol: )

13. Marvie and Tugger

Marvie and Tugger Well-Known Member

Re: 04/03 J.D. AMPS 215, +3 87, +4 98, +5 102 QUESTION

No help here but I just wanted to say you are an awesome neighbor.

14. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

I'm glad Mr. Man is doing better. Good for you, for helping out.

I like Lynette's video on subQ fluids: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmaNe1YaUrk

If you go on youtube and search subcutaneous fluids cat, there are quite a few more.

15. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

You could also PM some of the folks who give squids - Carolyn/Latte and WCF/Meowzi come to mind.

16. carolynandlatte

carolynandlatte Well-Known Member

That is a wonderful video! Glad to know I have been doing it right all these years! :lol:
    Seriously, i was waiting for a 'duh' moment. But she was spot on.

Note on positioning for first time: It is trial and error! You may have to try a few positions.

first week or so I tried sitting Latte on a table, like at the vet. Uhhhh...no. Not gonna happen. Many tears shed that week.

I then put her in my lap, often times with a blanket draped over my lap and losely wrapped around her. Eventually we took off the blanket.

Now, she is so good, and I know that picking her up, being in my lap,and having to jump down is probably uncomfortable - maybe painful, I just do it on her throne. She just lays there, while I skritch her ears and she purrs. its much more relaxing. Tho I really miss holding her.

Hopefully you have 20g needles, and can then adjust speed with the little roller. I alternate btwn 19/20's. I think to initially start, 20's will be more comfortable. If you have 18's be prepared for a potential greater reaction as you poke.

If you see blood, its okay. Sometimes you nick a blood vessel. latte usually tells me this before I pull the needle out and see the blood. It's okay. Just have a towel handy, or cotton balls in case. You may also get a little leakage. You can just put your hand or finger over the area until it stops...Latte used to just run away, sometimes looking like a water fountain. Hahaha! not really, but...

Oh yes, depending on how much you give, you may see 'football shoulders', or a pouch hanging in a certain area. Thats where the water is sitting until, or as it disperses. Make sure not to give the next round of fluids if that pouch is still there.

You will do great! It is so kind of you to help this neighbor. :mrgreen:

17. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

Nice start to JD's day.
    So nice of you to help your neighbor. When I was giving Cleo (GA) fluids I found that she got used to it quickly, just like FD cats do w/ testing. I also found that warming the fluids made her much more comfortable w/ it and less fidgety. Rewards after are a must too.

18. jan and Hep and sara (GA)

jan and Hep and sara (GA) Well-Known Member

Dyana,

Great #'s for J.D.! Hope it continues.

Also sending snowflakes to Mr. Man and I hope he feels better soon. I'm sure the fluids will help. It was so very nice of you to help him. :smile:

Enjoy the weekend!

jan and sara

19. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

04/03 J.D. +7.5 206 - and a few more Questions (long)

And there he goes...
    J.D. is sitting next to me, waiting for treats I think.

I watched the video once and will watch it a couple of more times, later. Thanks Linda and Carolyn, and everyone who chimed in. Right now Mr. Man is sleeping and resting comfortably. I looked in the bag my neighbor brought home, and I saw a small bag of fluids, and some line. I asked him how many needles he got and he said 2 or 3. That's all I know, right now, as my neighbor left to go do some work. He kept getting the cat up and setting him down to watch him walk (still wobbely), I said let him rest. He was up with him all night, and both are probably exhausted. So my neighbor's out of the house now, and Mr. Man can sleep for a while. Mr. Man did have a sac? of fluids running down his front shoulder when he came home. John, my neighbor, was told to give him some more fluids, tonight (and then, asked me to do it). I'm sure he hasn't a clue as to how much to give, and neither do I, if I can get through this procedure successfully.
    Will he have to take the cat to a vet to get more needles, lines, and fluids? Are they prescription only? It's just that I don't think he'll take Mr. Man to a vet (because of financial reasons, I guess). His wife is a nurse and he thinks she can bring home what's necessary, but she's in Florida until next Saturday, and that small bag of fluids, and 2 or 3 needles won't last until then, right? Should I be putting this on health instead?

Anyway, I'm going to put it out of my mind for awhile, and take my kitties outside and enjoy some sun and a good book.

20. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

Re: 04/03 J.D. AMPS 215, +7.5 206 (a couple more fluid questions

Ringer's usually comes in 1 litre bags. How much depends on the cat. He'll need new needles w/ every injection, just like syringes they get dull and hurt more. It looks like you need a rx for the solution. I found one source on line here http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail....roogle&utm_medium=free&utm_content=170RX#tabs

He really should see a vet to know what exactly needs to be treated. The Ringer's may make Mr. Man feel better, but doesn't necessarily deal w/ the underlying problem.

21. Deb & Spot

Deb & Spot Well-Known Member

Re: 04/03 J.D. AMPS 215, +7.5 206 (a couple more fluid questions

awesome day for JD today, Dyana. Numbers look wonderful.

I must say that you are a great neighbor, helping Mr. Man's bean out and all. I wish I had a neighbor like you years ago....My Token had renal failure and I had to give squids to him...at that time, I didn't know any better, and I guess my vet wasn't very good because they told me that I only needed to change the needle once a week. After my education w/ FD and knowing how dull those needles are after even one shot, I feel so bad....my poor boy must have hurt whenever I put that needle in. My heart breaks just thinking how it must have felt....to live and learn.

Hope you enjoyed your outside time with the kids!! Spot is outside chillaxin in his chair w/ the drooler right next to him :D

22. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

23. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Re: 04/03 J.D. AMPS 215, +10 383

Oh my kitty..

Thanks for the advise about the fluids. The aunt that he took the cat to, who is supposedly a vet tech, told him that he can re-use the needles. I'll check out the links you so generously attached.
    I know he should see a vet. I told John, if he were my cat, he would be hospitalized, but he said he just doesn't have the money. I know we are only treating the symptoms. At least my neighbor said he was up all night worrying (probably stressing the cat out as well) because I told him to try to give Mr. Man a little teeny bit of syringe food about every 20 to 30 minutes. And John did call, to see how he was. So, I think he really cares. Maybe, if I lend him the money, he'll allow me to take him to the vet on Monday, it's just a thought. I don't know if beans can bring in a cat that doesn't belong to them to the vet. Anyway, I syringe fed him about an hour ago, and he is very feisty!

So, back to J.D., are we going to have another red PMPS?

24. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Re: 04/03 J.D. PMPS 425

At least we saw some green today.

25. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Re: 04/03 J.D. PMPS 425, +2 401

The last walk for the evening has been walked. The second (kitty) dinner fed, and I am on my way out to my dinner.
    And, I guess J.D. gets a break from more pokesing tonight. But, his fur is soft :D

26. Amy and Six

Amy and Six Well-Known Member

Re: 04/03 J.D. AMPS 215, PMPS 425, +2 401

Thanks for helping out Mr. Man. It can't be an easy situation, but you are helping him be more comfortable.

J.D. - yuck, yuck, yuck! Maybe you threaten him with an alien abduction? :lol:

27. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Well That Was Fun NOT

First, I had John watch a couple of the videos with me on how to give fluids. When John went to his aunt's house, she gave fluids to 3 cats while he was there, so he could learn how to do it. Apparently she has like 20 cats in her house, and some a very old, like 20, and several of them get fluids. So, John thinks he knows how to do it.
    We get everything set up, and the needle in no problem and the fluids are starting. After less than a minute, John thinks we have enough in, and I think he went to take the needle out and Mr. Man bit him. John starts screaming and jumping around and yelling "that's enough!" and that he doesn't want to do it anymore, that the cat is upset and John's freaking. And the needle has now come out and touched the sofa. I would have been better off, if he had just left the room :-x .
    We now have one sterile needle left, and hopefully, John will let me do it by myself tomorrow morning. Do you think if I asked my vet, he'd just give (or sell) me some needles on Monday? Or, can you buy them without a prescription from WalMart or anything?
    Both John and I have band aids on us from cat bites :roll:

I did give Mr. Man 2 syringes of about 7 ml? of watered down pureed food, every two hours today. He does great when wrapped up in a blanket. But hisses and tries to fight (no front claws only teeth) when not wrapped up.

J.D. just ate his 3rd dinner, and is scratching at my chair as I type, because it's time for bed.

Ni~ni all. Sweet dreams of colored eggs and chocolate ;-)

28. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

I'm sure your vet will give or sell you some needles, if you tell him what it's for. I don't know if you need a prescription for them normally or not, when I was giving squids I just got everything from the vet, but if you'll be doing it for very long then it's a lot cheaper to get the supplies elsewhere.

I'm glad J.D. got to visit green today, even though he bounced. I hope he can have a repeat performance tomorrow. :smile:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.