04/23/18 Texas Gizmo PMPS=325, +2=347, Ket-0.1 (neg), +4=271, +11=213

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by LizzieInTexas, Apr 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

04/22 +11=188

AMPS=228

Happy Monday (yuk) :rolleyes:

2. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

Happy Monday.:coffee::coffee::coffee:

As you know I've not been about much lately. So forgive me if you've already discussed/discounted this approach for Giz.

As he is longterm diabetic (over a year) have you thought about holding on to the dose for 3 drops below 50?? Technically on TR a long term diabetic would earn a reduction with 3 drops under 50 or a single drop under 40. I know it may be problematic with you having to be away from work during the week.
    Looking at the ss and yesterdays condo (nice Gizmo station BTW) I wasn't sure why you had taken him down to 1.25??

(I probably would not combine this approach with skinny dose reductions/ at least not at first)

LizzieInTexas likes this.
  3. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I hope Gizmo slides down and surfs for you today.

4. LizzieInTexas

I just can't with work. He got down to 49 Friday PM shot but I held the dose through last night (and there was a partial fur shot combine with the bounce Saturday AM :banghead:. I reduced last night going into the work week. I just can't stress about him going too low while at work.

5. MyTitan (GA)

MyTitan (GA) Well-Known Member

Gizmo, back down to the beach for momma bean, no more stress for you or her :cool:

6. Gill & George

I thought that was probably the case, sorry for stating the obvious, but as I haven't been round much just wanted to be sure.
    Who knows he may like this new dose.

Work it Giz!!

Beth 73 and LizzieInTexas like this.
  7. LizzieInTexas

I appreciate it. :bighug:

I also had to shoot in the saddle this morning and I am not sure if that is impacting his numbers (higher) but I suspect that is the case. I tried to do the scruff and he jerked about the time I was going to push the plunger (not used to shooting the scruff) so I pulled back and shot the side. Better to get the insulin in with less effective absorption than risk another fur shot.

8. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

Hang in there, Giz and Lizzie :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

9. LizzieInTexas

B12 injectable - how often can it be given and for how long?

We are back to not eating too enthusiastically. It started over the weekend and is declining pretty rapidly. I gave Cerenia last night and a bit of pain meds this morning (not sure if it may be the start of a panc flare). I am going to give fluids tonight but am going to order B12 injectable (vet already said she would approve it). I am almost in tears as this starts up again. He was doing so, so much better this past month. I am taking him for a B12 shot tonight after tfs.

10. Beth 73

11. Sean & Rufus

Sean & Rufus Well-Known Member

For b12 one of my vets said .25ml once a week, other vet said .25 2 times a week. Any excess will be urinated out.

12. Juliet

Juliet Guest

The injectable kind is cyanocobalamin and Dora not work well if at all. I gave it to Silver for a while. Did not work. You want methylcobalamin form of B12. Yes @Sean & Rufus any excess will be excreted out but you don't want to make the kidneys work any harder than they have to.

13. Nicole Z

Nicole Z Well-Known Member

I give the b12 weekly, I fill up an insulin syringe to almost full to the 25 mark - I give it 1x a week to Mulan for previous soft poop issues. Now I just keep it up for maintenance.

14. Gill & George

15. HWright

HWright Well-Known Member

My vet determined dosage amount and frequency and it varied from cat to cat and the conditions. Initially, vet did it but then I mostly administered at home, with or without fluids, it depended and timing changed by working with vets. Bo, who was a big old Maine coon, was on I think .50cc 1-3x a week depending on how he was doing. Teeny tiny Azalea was on
    .25cc first once a month, then bi-monthly, then weekly. However, I think we bumped it to .50cc during her eye injury. Both were also on Zobaline, too., as was Sootie who was on .50cc b12, as was her sister Guernsey earlier after her thyroidectomy, if I’m remembering correctly. It really depends on lots of factors.
    I think it gave them a boost.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  16. LizzieInTexas

They are given for two different applications.
    https://www.felinecrf.org/vitamin_b.htm#methylcobalamin_dosage

Gizmo does get methylcobalamin (oral) already and the B12 injectable (cobalamin) we just started a month or so ago (for appy and general energy and nausea).

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  17. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Jones started out at .25ml per week for 6 weeks, then .25ml every 2 weeks for 2 months then .25ml 1 a month. His B12 was in the tanker when he was first dx with IBD.

The once a month seems to keep his levels just right...

HWright likes this.
  18. Sean & Rufus

Did you use it for nausea & appetite? There are many many that will disagree with your assessment, if you say it does't work those. Many IBD kitties use it on a regular basis.

19. LizzieInTexas

PMPS=325

History:
    AMPS=228, +1.5=292

Shot in scruff

off to vets for a shot

20. LizzieInTexas

When I got home and removed the towel from the carrier to wash it - it looks (to me) like there is blood in his urine. Normal temp at the vet (only saw the tech for the shot). He has gained 1 1/2#'s.

What does it look like to you guys? It doesn't look normal to me. I am scared.

pee1.jpg
    pee2.jpg

21. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I used to see this when Teasel had one of his many bouts of cystitis. Sometimes there were blood and mucus clots in it too.

22. Juliet

Juliet Guest

No I used it for neuropathy. Didnt know it was used for other things. That's good.

23. LizzieInTexas

What does that mean? What do I do?

24. Beth 73

Lizzie , when I have had one of mine do this it’s from inflammation /irritation in urinary tract . Prayers for you to have peace filled heart :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

25. Kris & Teasel

Teasel's bouts were usually sterile cystitis from "feline urinary syndrome" and I learned they were self limiting. Occasionally I had Cerenia for its anti inflammatory effect and prazosin, an urethral antispasmodic. Mostly I watched and waited. When he was diagnosed with FD and started getting tons more attention and extra water in every wet food meal the episodes stopped.

26. LizzieInTexas

Does he need more AB? He just finished 5 weeks of AB a couple of weeks ago.

We were going to give fluids tonight. Should I?

27. LizzieInTexas

Is it painful? I gave Cerenia last night. I can give another dose tonight. This has really shook me. I am literally shaking and crying.

28. Kris & Teasel

I'm sure it's uncomfortable but Teasel was always able to pee even if it was often and in small amounts, sometimes in inappropriate places. He had urine cultures done a couple of times but there was rarely any infection so the majority of his bouts involved no ABs.

His first couple of bouts scared me too and then I got used to it being a thing that flared every so often. Sometimes the flares were close together, sometimes further apart.

29. LizzieInTexas

What is the cause? Should I do anything?

Sorry, I am freaking out.

30. Sean & Rufus

Could it be the b12? I was told by vet that urine could look like that if on b12.

31. LizzieInTexas

That quick? I assume he pee'ed on the way home but IDK for sure. Honestly that was my first thought but I am not sure.

Eta-his last b12 was 3 weeks ago but he gets oral b12 and oral b complex daily.

32. Juliet

Juliet Guest

How is he acting? That's my judgement call. Silver has had sky high ketones the past three weeks that terrified me. But he is perky and acting normally. Eating normally and purring. So my worry wart began to shrink and I watch and wait. Breathe.

33. LizzieInTexas

So-so. Thst is why I took him up for the b12 shot. His appy hasn't been great but he is eating and drinking lots of water. A bit lethargic but not down and out.

Getting ready to test +2, give his BP meds, Cerenia and then fluids.

34. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

Bella had some blood with uti, is he peeing ok, bella walks back and forth to cat boxes

35. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

When was the last time he had a urinaysis? I would be concerned about some sort of bladder/UTI infection. Asia has peed a little blood before with a UTI and I know it can be more of an issue for male cats. Any chance to call the vet and see what they think you should do?

Bellasmom likes this.
  36. Bellasmom

Yeah I’ve never had a girl cat have it

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  37. Stacy & Asia

Well my cat is a girl and she has peed blood. :p But I was thinking more of the stuff that can happen to male cats, blockages and things. I don’t know much about it, but I know enough that I wouldn’t do a wait and see if I had a male cat with urinary problems. Not trying to freak you out, Lizzie, I would just at least talk to your vet on the phone and see what they say about it.

38. LizzieInTexas

Seems to be. All in the LB. He has been peeing more (I assumed because of the higher numbers) but not in appropriate places.

+2=347 (vet stress I am sure, plus he was high to begin with this cycle). Ketones 0.1 on blood meter (neg). Gave him pain meds also.

Fluids are next in a few minutes.

39. Bellasmom

Lol I know shes a girl lol I’ve just never had a girl who had one , just talking that’s all

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  40. Beth 73

Bless your heart, Lizzie :bighug: My experience with UTIs is with my female kitties ... I usually forced fluids ( add to food and /or syringe water ) and watched to see if they kept going to box frequently and if / how much they peed . Is he getting in and out if box without going ?

41. LizzieInTexas

03/30/18

Results are on the labs tab (scroll down to the bottom/underneath the bloodwork reeults)

42. LizzieInTexas

No. He pees when he is in the LB. Of course I am not here all day but he usually goes 5-6 times a day and a significant amount.

Vet that he sees won't be in the office till Friday. But I will send email with the pictures.

43. Beth 73

Good plan . Giving fluids is good too .Sending prayers to you both :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

44. Stacy & Asia

If he had a cysto, maybe that could explain the blood in his urine? I really don’t know. When the blood shows up in the UA they usually say that’s why. Did the vet comment on why RBCs are high in his urine?

45. Kris & Teasel

46. Tanya and Ducia

Tanya and Ducia Well-Known Member

The picture does not look to me like a fresh blood spot. Was it washed before you took the pic? If not, is there any chance it came from, let say and an IV blood test the vet run? Or from the injection of B12 site?

Maybe try to rely on observing the clinical signs for a day, and if possible try not to freak out ( I know - easier said than done, but still)?
    I hope he'll be fine. You just a super mom with super busy schedule, of course you are worrying.
    :)

47. LizzieInTexas

Yes. Washed in hot water with laundry soap and bleach. He only got shot (b12), weight and temp tonight at the vets. He had also poo'ed in the carrier. It looked a bit pinker in real life but the pink tinge faded after a bit. Could the shot have "leaked"? The did shoot the b12 in the rear end area (hands as far from his mouth as possible :rolleyes:). And I had shot the insulin in the scruff so they didn't want to shoot it there.

48. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

Tanya and Ducia likes this.
  49. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

50. Chubba (GA)

Chubba (GA) Well-Known Member

Gizmo had a b12 injection once and the vet tech didn’t get it all completely into him. There was red liquid on his fur. I’m wondering (hoping) that is all it is. :bighug:

51. Tanya and Ducia

Tanya and Ducia Well-Known Member

I see. ..
    Fingers crossed it is nothing.

Can you call the vet and report it - make them have it on record, so to speak?

Some B12 could have spilled out, or they could have puncture the skin twice and it bled.
    I would just observe the signs, the 5 Ps and the routine behavior (if any change to it) - I think you are safe to just observe for at least the next 18 -24 hours.
    He needs time to recover from the vet visit, and then if he is still off - take him there again.

PS.I suffer from an over reactive imagination and its constant picturing of the worse case scenarios - and I know many ppl suffer from the same when cats are conserved ...Try not to worry right away - it could be someone else's blood gotten onto Gizmo's cover. Observe him after he's taken some time to recover from the vet's visit.
    I truly hope it is nothing.
    Ducia rarely goes to vets, so every trip brings in something new to worry about - and often enough it is nothing.
    :)

52. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Rusty got a B-12 shot from a new vet tech and a lot of it got on his fur. It was red and ran all over the table. Looked like Kool Aid. I, too, hope that's what it is!

53. LizzieInTexas

Thanks all. Got fluids in so he is done being poked and proded except for the +4 test.

I am wondering if it was the b12 leak. His fluids leaked a bit too. No straining that I am away of. His flow seems good (sometimes it pulses but thst isn't new behavior). I clean the LB 3x/day (AM when I get up/after shower, PM after work and before bed). He tends to pee in the same spot in the LB but because it is clumping litter I can usually tell it is multiple goings. To me it looked more like dark pee, like concentrated type dark with maybe a pink tinge. I would have never known it except for the white towel. He isn't prone to UTIs, I think he has only had one which was at the end of a panc flare.

I went and loved on him and he is purring and rubbing his jowls on my hands and corner of the leg of the table. Making eye contact. Ate all of his PS food and all but a bite of his +2.5 food. I just don't want him in pain or to be suffering but I don't think he is right now. He may be a bit uncomfortable but not in a ton of pain.

54. Sean & Rufus

Where did they inject the b12? Was there any on his fur?

55. LizzieInTexas

Shot was sub-q in the flank. Who know if there was any on him when they finished. By that time he is one p!$$ed off kitty and I just open the carrier so he can escape without injuring anyone :D

56. HWright

HWright Well-Known Member

Wow. I hope the crisis has abated. I was going to ask if b12 injection related bc you’d mentioned earlier today that he was going to have a b12 inj later in the day. I see it’s already mentioned.

It happened with Bo once after he had b12 at the vet’s. We got home and he when he peed on his pee pad, it was tinged but I couldn’t quite tell if it was pink or light red. I thought oh no.....
    It was pink (I brought Bo and the pee pad right in to the vet) and vet said it was the cobalamin injection; that sometimes it happens if the b12 excretes quickly or something to that effect. Needless to say, I almost had a heart attack over that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.