05-09 DENTIST DAY FOR MOM-MOM

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mom-Mom, May 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mom-Mom

Mom-Mom Member

Thank God mom-mom's dental appointment was today. The day started out with her AMPS at 132 so no shot. At +2 she was 113 and +4 she was 49 :? . I went crazy to bring her to a normal range. Her appointment was at 4:30, so I went early at 4pm, hoping he would see her early, and he did. When he opened her mouth, it was bloody. The bottom long tooth towards the back was split in half. Every time she moved her mouth it would wiggle.And Im sure it was very painful. The vet KNEW that keeping her overnight was NOT an option. I would have brang her back in the morning if I had to. He pried open her mouth and with this tool, broke the loose piece free. She scratched the hell out of him. Then he took blood to test her red & white cells and gave her a 2 week antibiotic shot. I could tell immediately on the way home she felt 100%. For the past month she could'nt even close her mouth all the way because of that tooth, now she can. Besides that little incident in the beginning with the vet, she was an angel there. She is like a new cat. The vet thinks that her sugars had alot to do with the bad tooth too. Maybe we will be saying goodbye to the diabetes stuff for a while (maybe). Anyway, all went very well for her and I am so overjoyed for her. Thanks all for the support thru this time for mom-mom and I.

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I'm so happy for you. Yanking that tooth must have hurt. I would have scratched him as well.

3. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

No pain meds? WTF was he thinking???

He could have given her a quick sedative to take the edge off.

Her glucose could be low because she wasn't eating much due to pain.

That 2 week antibiotic was probably Convenia.

4. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Please read this piece from Dr. Lisa regarding convenia - while it's already been given, nothing you can do about that - however, you can be informed for the future ..... http://catinfo.org/?link=convenia

And seriously, who just pulls a tooth without numbing the area first - when you go to the dentist and get a filling or something other than a cleaning - doesn't your dentist numb the area before proceeding? I know mine does. Why is it different because the patient is a cat and not a human and can't tell you that something hurts!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.