05/22/2020 - Gideon's GB slowly decreasing today

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Shiloh567, May 22, 2020.

1. Shiloh567

Shiloh567 Member

My Gideon has recently had a decrease in his lantus dose from 1 unit twice daily to 0.75 units twice daily. He hasn't gone into the black lately, but every morning and night (7A & 7P) he is in the red. Today his decrease was a bit later in the day than it has been. BG at 0330 was 115. Plan to test again in 1.5 hours at 5p, then again at 7p. I suspect at 5p he will be around 300. It just seems to me that his BGs on both ends at 7A & 7P will be in the red for a while. He has only been on Lantus for 10 days. I think I have to be patient. He became a diabetic overnight (literally), so not sure if there is an underlying reason. He seems to be doing well otherwise. Give all your kitties an extra hug!

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I’d hold this dose for 10 cycles since you gave had nadirs in the 100’s. Today’s was the best.

3. Shiloh567

Shiloh567 Member

Yes, but every day is so different

I do agree this dose is good at the moment.
    Thanks!

4. tiffmaxee

Yes. Every day can be different as well as day vs night. Many cats drop at night. Max was one of those. Waking up to a 50 or 60 didn’t require coffee to give me a jolt.

5. tiffmaxee

Hi. Try to get a+3 or before bed test at night to see what he’s doing at night.

6. Shiloh567

Shiloh567 Member

This morning I held his insulin. His GB was 166. I thought anything under 200, I should hold it. Yes, if we can get a BG right before bed, that would be good, but not tonight, since I am working overnight. I might ask my husband if he and our son can take the BG before they go to sleep. Thanks for checking on us.

7. Shiloh567

Shiloh567 Member

I wonder how low he got during the night, if at 0700 he was 166, 12 hours post Lantus. This is a bit scary. He gets fed pretty much the same food...Nulo, Wellness, Organix and Fussy Cat. He will lick the Fancy Feast and Friskies, but he likes the other brands much better. The Nulo is shredded, but yet, on the cat food chart, it is low carb. Looks like it has a small amount of gravy. I hiope the chart is correct. I guess I could calculate it myself. I hope my glucometer is correct. I did order another Alphatrak2. I am going to stick with it for the time being.

8. tiffmaxee

Next time stall, don’t feed and test again in 20-30 minutes. If his BG goes up it would then have been safe to shoot. Helen updated her CRF food chart recently and she has the carb % for many when you have a chance to look. Must be so hard with your schedule.

9. Shiloh567

Shiloh567 Member

I wish I had done this. Now he is 600. Should I give 0.5 unit?

10. tiffmaxee

I answered on your new thread.