? 05/28/15 Ratface: 95 PMPS, Went lower, 97 AMPS Skipping shot, when are best times to test BG?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Ron, May 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ron

Ron Member

Morning everyone!

The trials and tribulations of regulating my cat continue. You can find the previous threads here:

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/5-24-15-ratface-need-some-advice-on-dosage.138399/

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...anic-and-what-do-i-do-for-the-pm-shot.138186/

Couple of updates. I finally got the blood results back from the vet (and have added them to the spreadsheet). I'm still trying to decipher some of the results but the spec fPL shows pancreatitis (which would probably explain the nausea my poor cat has been experiencing).

Yesterday he ate minimal amounts after stuffing his face the day before. I continued his dose at 1 unit, but couldn't take morning reads, when I got home he was very low but rising so I gave him his PM shot, but tested regularly. As you can see from the sheet, he really dropped and I spent the night feeding him high carb foods and a little honey until the numbers started to rise again.

This morning his AMPS is still low so I plan on skipping his shot as I have to work today and can't be here to keep an eye on him. I can sneak home and do some tests during the day. Based on the really low numbers yesterday what times would be most useful to have documented to get a better idea for what to do tonight for his PM shot?

Thanks again everyone!

2. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about the pancreatitis! How are you treating it?

Lantus likes consistency. Every time you skip a shot the shed need to refill and it can throw numbers off for a few cycles while it does. Going below 50 earns a newly diagnosed cat a reduction. The 41 in the AM cycle shows that he should have had one last night. Ratface may still have gone low w/ the carry over last night, but you would have been able to shoot this morning. If you are going to be around to monitor you could still shoot the reduced dose this morning if you aren't too far past the shot time.

BTW w/ a name like Ratface, we nee to see pictures!;)

3. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

4. Ron

Ron Member

Thanks for the info on pancreatitis. It's been printed out and I will look at it today.

I'd like to shoot him up with a reduced dose but since I can't be here to monitor during the day (or babysit if it goes too low) how much should I reduce the dose? I'm not sure if a 0.25 unit reduction would keep his glucose high enough. I'm currently a half-hour past his usual shot time.

I'll try to get a picture today, the name came from the family's inability to settle on one when we got him. My brother walked in and said "aww, look at the cute little rat face" and it just kinda stuck :)

5. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

My Max has been struggling with chronic pancreatitis for over 5 1/2 years. For him and most with this, inappetence means nausea. Most of us use cerenia daily, ondansetron twice a day or a combo of the two. I generally give Max ondanserton, a human drug very effective for nausea. Others have better luck with cerenia, a pet med you would get from your vet or a pharmacy that sells pet meds. Costco is a great place to get both. Sometimes sub-q fluids help and often pain medication, buprenex used the most. It's really important to get him eating small amounts as often as possible and if unsuccessful you will need to syringe or finger feed. When Max gets inappetent and until the meds kick in he will often eat Gerbers stage 2 all meat baby food. If you can get some try all the flavors because turning down one doesn't mean he won't like another. It's kitty crack for many cats. Beechnut all meat baby food us another option but if Max doesn't feel well he won't eat it. Again it needs to be meat only without any onion or garlic.

As for testing mist nadir some point between +4-7 so testing at some point at theses times is a good idea. Getting a +1 or 2 will let you know usually if it will be a more active cycle.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. I hope this helps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.