05/29 - Small Kitty amps 553 +5 365 - pmps 432 new dose in action

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Photorecon, May 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Photorecon

Photorecon Well-Known Member

Good morning dear friends,

Yesterday curve post :

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...7-7-5-470-10-536-pmps-25u-5-268-6-336.158539/

As I was expecting, this morning, Small Kitty went high and I'm not sure it's he's just bouncing.

Something else that might be happening is that my 90 days old Lantus vial is still doing the same job
    but for haft the duration of the cycle. I'm no chemist or researcher but there is a reason for this 30 days scrapping time. It's probably planned on purpose by the company.

One thing is sure, I had some good time yesterday away from the cat diabetes business, I never tough
    about it a single time. I took a good meal, beer while reading about a P-51 WWII plane found in a garage
    in 1990 and restored. AMAZING !! Not only it was a P-51 but it was the F-6 Photo recon version. There is none left, it took 10 years to restore it and it's now flying.

Hope it's not gonna take 10 years to restore Small Kitty to flying condition :)

I will now have to be SUPER conservative on strips. I have 5 left. I hope new ones will
    come early next week or there will be some empty field in his SS.

Will see.

Have a good day all.

Last edited: May 29, 2016
  2. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

yikes, 5 strips isn't very many, especially when one has just raised the dose. That would make me very nervous.

Just a tip on managing your strips, if it looks like SK is in a bounce, only check every several hours. There is nothing to be learned from hourly tests when the cat is in a bounce. It's far more important to know when the cat is getting into their lowest numbers than it is to measure the high ones.

It's not uncommon for cats to experience "New Dose Wonkiness" with a dose increase. For no known reason, blood sugar can go higher for a day or so before the cat begins to respond to the dose increase.

People here have had their Lantus last as long as 6 months. The 30 days from the manufacturer assumes that the insulin isn't refrigerated. As long as you've taken care of it, it's probably fine. There is more on this on the sticky about handling your insulin. Please click that link to read more, but here is an excerpt:
    HOW DO YOU KNOW WHEN YOUR INSULIN IS NO LONGER GOOD?:
    • When you lose regulation for no reason.
    • If you see any hint of "floaties"/"tiny particles"... discard the insulin.
    • If insulin is cloudy or discolored, or if rubber stopper is cracked... replace insulin immediately.
    • If the insulin has frozen, it's no longer good.

HOW LONG WILL MY INSULIN LAST?:
    • The manufacturer of Lantus recommends discarding the insulin after 28 days of use (in-use, unrefrigerated, for humans). However, with proper handling and refrigeration, many Lantus users have been able to use a vial/cartridge/pen for as long as six months. Some have used to the last drop.
    • The manufacturer of Levemir recommends discarding the insulin after 42 days of use (in-use, unrefrigerated, for humans). However, with proper handling and refrigeration, many Levemir users have been able to use a vial/pen for four to six months. Some have used to the last drop.
    • Unopened Lantus or Levemir are good until the expiration date stamped on the box if refrigerated and handled properly.

3. Photorecon

Thanks for the information Julie,

The insulin is cloudy, I was not able to read through it sitting on a magazine.
    What's confusing is that it brought some good nadir yesterday night.

In regards of Strips, delivery is for next week, probably Monday. I will limit my
    test to regular 3 days test. I did a +5 to compare amps with pmps hoping to
    catch a new nadir. Not the case.

Whenever I have the funds I will buy a new 5 units Lantus box. That will resolve
    the enigma in regards of my current vial having to be discarded or if it's still good.

4. julie & punkin (ga)

ah, if it's cloudy, then it might not be good. This is an expensive disease, isn't it? Be glad you're buying insulin in Canada instead of the US - it's incredibly expensive here, more than twice as much as in Canada, which is why many people order from Canada instead.

5. Photorecon

In the link in your post regarding handling of insulin, there is a mention that is confusing me :

''Never shake or roll''

Shake ok but roll, this is now what I've been told and doing since I started injection.

I was told to roll the vial between my hands for 20sec before injection, never turning it up side down.

Is it what they mean by ''roll'' ?

6. Photorecon

Right next door at the drug store the 5X 3ml cartridge is 100$. Think this is reasonable.

7. julie & punkin (ga)

To me, that looks like an unbelievably great buy! I resorted to buying Punkin's insulin on Craigslist to get it cheaper - as a high dose kitty he was going through a lot of insulin. I found someone whose diabetic dad had just passed away and she sold me several boxes of pens for $200. They were fine and lasted me for a long time, but you can't always trust what you see on Craigslist, of course.

8. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Yes, that's "rolling" and it is NOT recommended Sebastien....Lantus doesn't need to be shaken, stirred, rolled, jostled, mixed, or twirled.

On your question about the blood drop, don't worry about it...It happens....Usually it just means you nicked a capillary and it's no big deal. Happens to everyone once in awhile

9. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

If your vet told you to roll the vial that is further proof that he does not have a good understanding of feline diabetes and the types of insulins that are used :eek:

10. Photorecon

Yes, this what he told me and put to practice by the technician as demonstration, right in front of me.

11. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

Very sad..a GOOD vet and GOOD technician and would know that you do not need to mix Lantus...( or Levemir) Some of the earlier forms of insulin you do need to roll gently but not L or L :blackeye:

12. Photorecon

Has they are the ones starting this up I should come see them and ask for a 100$ refund for scrapping it up.

100$ is what the Vet charged me for a 3ml vial. I was told he's riding a Mercedes of the year.

13. Photorecon

On another set of subject, more positive, it sounds that Small Kitty is responding well to it's new dose.
    No magic numbers but still, red is better then black and it's a transit dose.

Sadly no more testing tonight, just have what's needed till next delivery. This week-end curve
    was hard on supplies :)

14. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Hey Sebastien! Glad you were able to get out last night and enjoy yourself last night. I think the ketone strips I sent should arrive tomorrow or the next day. They told me 5-7 days. Glad to see SK in reds instead of blacks. :)

15. Photorecon

That's kind of appreciated, thanks. Don't think is ketonic, urine volume is kind a normal and I ''feel'' he's right.

While I was preparing dinner he was looking at me from the top of the fridge telling me
    ''I know, I can't touch that, but doesn't cost anything to watch'' :)

16. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Poor SK!!...that's funny Sebastien!!
    [​IMG]

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.