05/30 J.D. PMPS 252, +3 264

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Dyana, May 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Yesterday's Condo

Last Night:
    286 PMPS
    338 +3
    258 +8.75
    279 +11.25

Hopefully, this is still bounce :roll: .

J.D. ate most of his 1st Breffis. He didn't seem to like the texture. He ate some more of a different flavor, although not the whole 1/4 can, and he ate some boiled chicken afterwards. He does seem to be favoring his right back leg, this morning. Right now, he is laying in his little kitty bed.

I hope everyone has a good day.

2. dian and wheezer

dian and wheezer Well-Known Member

Re: 05/30 AMPS 296

hopefully!! time will tell but another great # to start out on

3. tortie58

tortie58 Well-Known Member

Hope JD comes out from the bounce soon!

4. Melissa & Tarragon

Melissa & Tarragon Well-Known Member

Clear the bounce JD. Poor guy and his leg. Hope you have a great day Dyana!

5. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

Hi guys .. poor J.D. .. I sure hope his leg isn't bothering him much .. poor little guy :sad:

6. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Re: 05/30 J.D. PMPS 252 - J.D. worries me

J.D. is worrying me. His appetite has just been off. I gave him some cypro this morning, but when I came home from work, most of the left out food was not eaten. He's drinking a lot of water and peeing a lot. And, he just seems to be walking slower. I don't know. I was able to get a vet appointment for Saturday (which is hard to get), and the receptionist asked me why I was bringing him in, and I said because he's drinking and peeing a lot. My vet has said to me before when I've relayed these concerns, that it's probably just because of the diabetes. It just seems like more than before. Maybe it's just the new fountain. It seems like he's been drinking more water ever since I bought it in Dec.
    Are there any specific tests that I should ask my vet to run? His bloodwork from March 19th, doesn't really show anything out of the ordinary. And his T4 was fine in March. He also got bloodwork in February and last November. So, nothing is standing out to my vet. I guess I should have him do another Spec fPL. His last ones were 7.4 on 03/20 and 6.5 on 04/16. I just wish he would eat more. And, as I say that, he's eating the leftovers from this afternoon.

7. tpr

tpr Well-Known Member

((((Dyana)))) I'm sorry to hear that JD is not eating the same as he usually does. I think you made the right decision to make an appt for him. I hope they can figure out what's going on. Thinking of you and sending eating vines for your hansome boy:)

8. Anne & Zener GA

Anne & Zener GA Well-Known Member

Zener has appy issues too and it's more stressful for us than high BG. We have him on ondansetron and Cerenia (pill form). They seem to help quite a bit. We have cypro that we use every couple of weeks or so. I think he gets stomach/intestinal cramps because tummy massage seems to help too. He likes to have his tummy rubbed so the massages are just a little more firm. We noticed that he would always eat well after a vetty visit and we think it's because of the abdominal palpitations. I hope you figure out something for J.D. I know what you mean about him seeming a bit off.
    Liz

9. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Dyana --

Is J.D.'s leg bothering him? He's at an age when he could have arthritis. If so, maybe Cosequin (it is over the counter and mixes into food) or a course of Adequan shots might heip.

10. Munchkin's Reagan

Munchkin's Reagan Member

Hi Dyana & J.D.! We're sorry to hear Mister J.D. isn't eating and his leg is bothering him. Big hugs and kitty nudges from our family to yours. I hope the vet has some info/answers on Saturday.

11. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

how were his renal values at his last vet visit? Drinking and peeing could have to do with kidneys too. So can loss of appetite. I'm sure there are lots of things it could be, but for an older cat that comes to mind.

This page from the Feline CRF is a good starting point for figuring out what various symptoms mean (although it can make you paranoid too).

12. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

The pancreatitis results are bothersome; they remind me of Shadoe as she had frequent problems until I started giving her weekly B12 shots, which helped with her inflammation. If you are not giving B12 shots now, discuss it with your vet. I believe that cats 10yrs and older, maybe ones that are younger but have ptitis issues often, should get B12.

Also, I kept pain meds on hand always, gave pepcid BID, and also kept fluids on hand at home. For ptitis, you need pepcid for the upset stomach, bupe or something for the pain, and fluids for flushing.

The repeated tests are expensive and if you already know what is needed to treat, then if you have it on hand, and none of it is harmful, try it.

I gave Shadoe pepcid 1/4 tab BID - I tried stopping it before the B12 shots, but she would have problems again. If she still seemed 'off' and not enthusiastic about her food, I would try patting the sides of her abdomen, and I got some grumbles, I knew she was having issues and she would get some bupe and maybe 25cc or 50cc fluids. She always perked up and I continued with the fluids, pepcid and bupe for a day or so.

After starting the B12 shots at home, she had only one minor issue.

For the leg, I would check it. Maybe while laying down, try moving the joints and see if some cringing happens, and you can also try pressing on some spots? See if you can locate some tender spots before seeing the vet, and if you find something really bad, maybe call the vet back and tell them what you have learned. There may be something you can do at home till the vet appt.

I hope you get some good discussions going with your vet, and JD feels better soon.

13. Complick8d

Complick8d Well-Known Member

Feel better J.D.!!

14. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

I'm sorry that J.D. isn't feeling well.

I believe that you are giving pepcid, ondansetron, cyproheptadine, B12 shots, and adequan injections. I think you have also given Bupe in the past for pain. Adding in the cerenia as suggested above might help. Not only is it used for vomiting, it is also thought to help control visceral pain.

Increased drinking and urination does bring kidney problems to mind, in addition to the thyroid and pancreatitis issues that have been mentioned. When you take him in, the vet should run a full blood panel, and include a T4. He should also do a urinalysis to check urine specific gravity (USG), which will also give you an idea of how the kidneys are functioning.

Abnormal kidney function can cause a cat to feel nauseated, due to the presence of excess toxins in the blood. I have also heard that abdominal pain can cause cats to drink more. Would it be possible to measure how much water J.D. is drinking to see if it various daily? It might be helpful if you can tell the vet how much he is drinking daily. Are his teeth OK? Anything painful in his mouth that would cause him to not eat? Is he constipated? No vomiting? Is he well hydrated? Pinch his scruff between your fingers and twist it 90 degrees. It should snap back in place quite quickly if he is hydrated. You could ask the vet about sub Q fluids.

As far as his painful leg, just run your hand over it gently to feel for any lesions or lumps on the foot or the leg, and note if he reacts with pain if it is touched. I found that Emily did well with some heat pads under her bedding (very well insulated to prevent burns) to help with her arthritis. If his leg is hurting, maybe he does not want to get up to eat. If his tummy is full from drinking, maybe he does not want to eat.

I don't know if your vet would feel that you are dealing with chronic pancreatitis, or if there may be IBD which is causing him to feel uncomfortable. The vet should be able to palp[ate his abdomen and see if anything feels wrong, or if J.D. seems painful. Do you want to consider more diagnostics such as abdominal ultrasound? Maybe start with an abdominal X Ray when you go in? Ask the vet if he thinks it would be worthwhile. I certainly know, after dealing with Bear Man, how stressful it is to have a cat who doesn't want to eat. Add in the PU/PD and the arthritis issues, and he is becoming a complicated kitty. I think you are doing the right thing taking him in to the vet.

15. Natalia & Enana

Natalia & Enana Well-Known Member

{{Dyana}} I hope J.D. feels better soon.

16. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

I know what you mean about that "off" feeling, too....we're all so in tune with our kitties here, we notice "things" that would just go over other people's heads! I'm glad J.D. did go back and eat his leftovers...he knew you were talking about him! I hope his leg feels better by now, and that you get some answers from your vet this weekend.

Feel better, J.D.!!

17. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

He just had an Adequan and a B12 shot on Saturday. He has been on Adequan since last September and started B12 shots on April 15th. He has had 7 weekly B12 shots. The bottle says to give 6 times weekly and then go to 1 or 2 months. So, I should just stop giving he B12, for 1 or 2 months? I don't understand that, too well.

What are renal values?

His last IDEXX Total Health Plus was March 20th and his T4 was normal 1.8 (0.8 - 4.7 ug/dL)
    What is the test for Kidney Function?
    These were the out of range numbers:

CK 58 (64 -440 U/L) Low

BUN 49 (15 - 34 mg/dL) High

Glucose 343 (70 - 150 mg/dL) High

A/G Ratio 0.9 (0.4 - 0.8) High

Everything else was within the normal range.

Thanks everyone who posted with advice and well wishes.

It's way past my bedtime.

18. Linda and Bear Man

I interpret those B12 directions to mean give weekly for 6 weeks, then reduce to one shot every 1 - 2 months. I don't think there is harm in continuing with weekly shots, if you have a good supply, and if you think it helps.

Renal values are kidney values. You are interested in the urine specific gravity in the urine. In the blood you are interested in BUN and creatinine. You also are interested in potassium, phosphorus, calcium.

Cerenia can be given as an injection or a pill. It is usually given one daily for 3 - 5 days, then stopped, to get over a bad flare-up. It can be layered with Ondansetron and the other meds you are giving.

He may not need more bloodwork, except I am would be interested in rechecking the renal values due to his drinking and urinating, and the possibility of kidney toxin affecting his appetite.

If he is a bit constipated, you could con side a bit of miralax with water in his food. Maybe just a tiny bit like 1/8 tsp to start.

Try to have a good sleep, Dyana.

19. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Thanks Linda. As of March his other values except BUN were okay.
    My brain is dead. I was going to say something else. Oh yeah, is CRF treatable, and how? I don't know how much my vet knows about it.

Good Night.

20. Linda and Bear Man

It is manageable with changes to diet, giving fluids, potassium supplements if needed, phosphorus binders if needed, etc. Each kitty may have different needs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.