07/05 Blackie AMPS 145

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Angela & Blackie & 3 Others, Jul 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Angela & Blackie & 3 Others Well-Known Member

Good # this morning. The last time she had a good # like this, she hypo'ed later that day. This time, though, I don't think she'll do that since she's now eating the FF Classic Turkey & Giblets Feast, plus getting boiled chicken as a treat (not cooked in canola oil this time). I'll test her +4 and she where she's at. Maybe there's a small breakthrough..? One can only hope.

2. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

Laurie and Mr Tinkles Well-Known Member

Angela, 145 is a no shoot #. Don't panic, but next time you get a number under 200, you should wait and test in 15 minutes or a 1/2 hour and make sure the # is rising, and I would wait until the number is over at least 180 before you shoot. Another option is to shoot a token (reduced) dose on a no shoot #. Did Mary talk to you about setting a no shoot #?

If you can, I would test her again now and make sure the # is rising.

3. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Carp, had I known that I wouldn't have given her a dose this morning of 1.2, which is her current dose (as I'm sure you're aware). I just tested her at 7:43 a.m. and got a 179. She got her dose at about 6:23 a.m. I'll test again at +4.

4. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

And no, I don't recall Mary talking to me about a no shoot #. I need to call her today and see where we go from here. We may hold it at the 1.2 dose, or perhaps decrease the dose a smidge -- won't know until I talk to her.

This morning... so far, so good.

5. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

Angela, the insulin has probably not started to affect her numbers yet. It's good that she is rising, but she may go low today. I'll check back later to see how you're doing. Don't panic, you just need to keep an eye on her numbers and *maybe* feed her a snack or two to cushion her drop if she's dropping too fast.

Just FYI, onset is usually at +2. How are you on test strips?

6. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

BTW, here's a perfect example of why I prefer to wait 5 days between dose increases! ;-)

7. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

I've tested her at +2, and she was at 179 at 7:43 a.m. Shot was given at 6:23 a.m.

I've got 3 bottles of strips left, plus 10 strips in this current bottle. I've just given her some boiled chicken after the last test, and hopefully she'll be good until the next test. I've also taken out some more chicken to cook later today.

When she gives me a low # in the morning, do I not shoot at all until the next dosing time? I feed her as close to 5:45 a.m. and 5:45 p.m. as possible (just the way things turned out, and I wake up at around 5:00), and she gets her shot 20 mins after she eats.

8. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Mary and I both agree to wait at least 5 days between increases, too. It makes perfect sense, and it gives the cat's body time to adjust to the insulin dosage, as well as it gives time for the insulin to work it's magic.

Personally, I prefer to wait about 2 more days considering that I've switched her food flavor to the FF T&G Feast, which is 3.9 in carbs. Perhaps that is what's helping to lower her BG's, combined with the 1.2 dosage of insulin?

I'll be watching her today like a hawk. Just in case anything happens.

9. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

I would suggest lowering her dose a smidge (back to a fat 1.0u) based on the low ps# this morning. Mary has been doing a great job guiding you, I know you run everything by her...that's just my suggestion. The general rule is increase slowly, decrease immediately on a low nadir or unshootable ps#.

Since you have plenty of strips, you might want to test at +3, that's what I would do. If she needs a snack to cushion her drop, I would use the Fancy Feast, the Turkey and Giblets is fine. Don't give too much, just a couple spoonfuls..unless she is very low. I wouldn't give any unless she drops a lot between tests.

I know you wait 5 days, many people don't....that was intended for any newbies reading here, not you. ;-) It very well could be a combination of the insulin dose settling in and the lower carb food. Either way, it's GOOD news!

10. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

I've taken another test at +3 and she is at 158. Just gave her a few pieces of boiled chicken as a treat as well as a small amount of the FF T&G flavor, too. Will test again at +4 and see where she's at.

I normally give her a few piece of boiled chicken as a treat after each test that I do. She's doing so much better jumping onto the chair and then onto the table now. She's using her back legs more these past few days whereas just when she was diagnosed, she wasn't jumping onto anything at all. Now, she'll get up there and tell me, "It's time for my treat now, Mom!" LOL Unfortunately though, the treat comes AFTER the test, not before. LOL

I'm still watching her like a hawk today, and have my kit ready... In case.

11. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

When she gives you a low # in the morning, you have a few choices. One is to not shoot at all, but I wouldn't recommend that unless the other two are unmanageable or the number is very low.

Another option is to reduce the dose and shoot on schedule. If you will not be around to test, and staying exactly on schedule is important, this is the best option, IMO.

A third option is to wait 15-30 min and retest. If the number is rising and has reached your no shoot #, then shoot. If not, repeat the wait and test. The problem with this is that it gets you off schedule. If the number is pretty close to your no shoot, this is the best option IMO.

When you get to a good dose, you start to get overlap between the doses. That means that the past dose is still in the system. This is good, it allows you to keep the cat in good #s for longer periods of time, allowing healing to take place. However, it's a balancing act....too much overlap is not good, because then the last dose is still working when the new dose starts kicking in, leading to too much drop. That's what happened to us a couple of weeks ago. That's why you wait and test, make sure the # is rising. As you get more experience, you will lower your no shoot #, but pretty much 150 is the floor for no shoot #s until you are very experienced and the doses are very small. In the beginning, most people have a no shoot # of 200.

Hopefully others will chime in and correct anything I got wrong (please)! I'm not as good at explaining as some other people here, so hopefully that made sense.

I would just watch and feed as you normally do. It's important to not change anything unless you have to in order to get data. That +3 number is fine, slight drop, no need to intervene yet.

12. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

I don't know if I'll ever get experienced at this, or as experienced as you and the others. LOL I'm going to test her at +4 to see where she's at still. May do that until +6, and then do it every 2 hours afterwards.

So far, she's doing pretty well. So far.

13. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Tested her at +4 - 122. Will do another test at +5. Am keeping SS updated each testing.

14. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

You will get there! You're doing great! There's still plenty for me to learn too, but I know enough to help you with this.

I would plan to test every hour until you see her rising. So far, she's just fine. This is a good thing, really!

15. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Laurie, I'm ahead of you on the idea of testing her each hr today until she starts rising. Her nadir is from about +4 to +6. I'm just now having breakfast after being awake since 5 this morning. LOL

Today's an interesting day, and is a good # day. Crossing fingers that it doesn't end up being another hypo day (I don't think it will, but am watching her just the same). Good thing I don't work right now, otherwise I'd be panicking at work.

16. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

It looks like the chicken and FF snack cushioned her nicely, kept the drop to 36. You still have a nice margin. If you are worried, you could give her another similar amount of FF.

Her nadir could be later today than it has been. If the dose is high, the nadir is typically later. Also, one of the quirks of ProZinc in the first 45 days, the nadir can move around unpredictably.

Yes, it's a good thing you are home! I'm having breakfast also, I'm late today too. :smile:

Edited for clarity.

17. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

I don't have a cat anymore.. I have a little carnivore. LOL I have to be careful when feeding her the chicken... I MAY lose a fingertip or 2 ('lil piranha!!! LOL)

I'm still watching her, and the next update will be at about 10:40ish. Thank you for watching alongside myself and Mary (she'll be checking throughout the day, too).

18. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

If she's unusually hungry, that is often a sign of dropping fast.....you might want to give her more FF (a similar amount).

You're quite welcome, glad I'm around. I'm also glad Mary is watching, more eyes are always good! :smile:

19. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

She's risen 10 points within the past hour (between +4 and +5). I've just posted another (+5) #. Will do 1 more at +6, and perhaps won't test until PMPS (providing the +6 # has risen higher than the +5 #). I think she's doing pretty good today. :) I'll be calling Mary PMPS to see what she suggests on the dosage. I think we may drop it a bit tonight. *shrug*

20. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

Looks good Angela. She may zoom up because of the low (for her) #s...liver training if that happens, no reason to worry. If not and she stays in the blues, that's awesome! Love those blue #s. :smile:

21. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

I love those blues, too. :) Blue's my favorite color.. really. :) hehehe

Thanks, Laurie. :)

22. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

Blue is my favorite color too. :) Looking really good! You are welcome, glad I could help. :smile:

23. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Blackie and her human momma take a bow, and say in their worst Elvis impressions, "Thank ya... Thank ya very much!"

24. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

HOLY CANNOLLI! That amps was surprise enough...that she did'nt drop lower as i was biting my nails as i read thru the thread was another shocker. and just when i was thinking time to lift the dose a bit.
    Angela, shooting into that low of a number could easily have been your hypo or near hypo experience again. if you must shoot it, shoot token dose, .3 or so.
    Thank God you were right on top of that with laura's help.
    Whew! what a nice morning number tho' after all those pinks.
    YAY Blackie!
    Should we all sit down and discuss no shoot #'s and that it's ok to dramatically lower dose but not ok to dramatically raise dose...just a brush up course.
    :coffee: Lori

25. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Lori, I called Mary this morning at about 9:15 a.m. and we discussed that. She suggests 140-130 = normal #'s, no shoot. 180-200 shoot 1/2 dosage; test to see if rising. I'll be discussing this with her when that time comes. It'll be interesting to see what Blackie's PMPS looks like today.

We just had a stressful early afternoon so far... The washer's leaked, and am not sure if hubby's fixed it or not. I'm afraid to do laundry now. The washer's 25+ years old. The dryer's been replaced last year.

26. Mary & Stormy Blue

Mary & Stormy Blue Member

Her numbers look good so far. And it seems that she is starting to rise as well. I will check again later on the ss to see where you are.
    Plumber is here replacing hot water heater now. First the AC, now this. The joys of home ownership :-/

~M

27. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

I wish you luck on the heater, Mary. I feel your pain, though. 2nd load of laundry produced a leaking washer. Went to the laundrymat to do 4 loads. $4.00 later, the wash is washed, but didn't dry them there. Am drying them here. It's only temporary.

28. Mary & Stormy Blue

Mary & Stormy Blue Member

COMPLETELY off topic on diabetes - but check CL. I have seen many times where people are giving away older, working washing machines because they bought a new set. That is how a friend of mine got one a few months ago - FREE> The people just gave away the old washer because it no longer matched the dryer. She had to go pick it up, of course. But free and working? Can't beat that with a stick.

~M

29. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Will check it out. Thank you. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.