07/16 Blackie AMPS 358

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Angela & Blackie & 3 Others, Jul 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Angela & Blackie & 3 Others Well-Known Member

Started new dose this morning at 1.6.

2. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

Hope it goes great! :D

3. Rob & Harley (GA)

Rob & Harley (GA) Well-Known Member

Good luck on the new dose today.

Robin

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hi Angela, sorry I've been MIA on Blackie's threads for awhile.
    I was just looking over that SS...trying to remember why he ever got that 8u. Had he spent some time at the vets getting a curve. it is so odd that was the ONLY time we've seen green(not suggesting 8u PLEASE!) I was just wondering how that began.
    I like that your doing the slow and go...just praying that Blackie finds a dose he likes soon and throws you a green. Then we celebrate! BLACKIE HAS A GREEN!
    Lori
    and tomtom too!

5. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Lori, the 8u was per the vet's request, and she was on a high carb diet at the time (she was eating Hill's Prescription W/D BID). The day we brought Blackie to the vet's on June 12th, their machine was broken. After they got the machine fixed, the vet called us at home and told us to raise her dose not 1u, but 2u, making it 8u BID. The next weekend, I told another of the vets (female vet this time) that I wanted to put Blackie on a low carb wet food diet. The vet agreed on the wet food diet, and still wanted her on the W/D crap. I told her that we'd try it for a week, and if it didn't work for her, I want to try the FF diet. Blackie never gave me a week. She hypo'd on the Tuesday after that last vet visit, and that's when I dropped her dosage right to 1u BID. I called the vet on Wednesday, and told her what was going on. Even gave her the #'s from the day before (Mary had come over the day before that and provided me with a hometesting kit, thank goodness). I asked the vet what we should do next, and she simply told me, "I would've dropped her dosage by 1/2. Just keep doing what you're doing, and bring in or fax the #'s to us when you get them." So far, I have only given them a set of #'s for a week and a few days. Our printer needs ink, and when we get some, I'll print out the SS and show them.

That's how she came to get 8u BID back then. Pretty much each weekend, we'd take Blackie in and pretty much each time we did, the insulin got increased by a unit. We were using the U-40 needles at the time, too. Between Blackie's hypo and after that last vet visit is when I started to do some searching on my own. Hence, I came across this message board, and I'm glad that I did.

6. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

So she was still on W/D wet on that last 8u dose right? I'm not sure what the carb is on that but I think it's pretty high.

Hopefully you will see some action on this dose in the next couple days. If not, no shame in needing a little more insulin!!! I think 1.8u was the magic # for Bix, and a number of cats seem to need to get in the 2 - 3u range to get good results, and of course some do need more than that. Her #s aren't terrible though, so hopefully you will see some better results pretty soon.

I suspect you'll get a breakthrough fairly soon followed by some quick dose reductions (since you've seen some nice blues on lower doses), but that's just a guess. A lot of times it seems like they need a higher dose to get to the good #s consistently, and then once they are there they don't need as much insulin to stay there. But they seem to need that extra push to get going.

7. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Joanna, I'm not going to hold you to that, but I hope you're right. LOL :) She's doing the water bowl thing again today. I'm guessing it's due to the 300 #'s again. I'm going to get a scale today to see where her weight's at. I need to start monitoring her weight more, and I need a digital scale. Don't have that here.

I've posted this morning her AMPS, and have added to the post, since.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.