07/17 Blackie AMPS 323

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Angela & Blackie & 3 Others, Jul 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Angela & Blackie & 3 Others Well-Known Member

Not bad. Better than a red #, which is what I kind of expected this morning. So, yes, I'm pleased. :)

2. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Her +3 is 307, which was taken at 8:39 a.m.

At 8:08 a.m., I gave her a small amount of tuna in water (frozen to preserve it). She's been favoring the water bowl a fair amount this morning so far, even before the tuna treat. She was drinking a fair amount earlier this morning, but seems to be taking sips now. I have patience. This is frustrating, though.

She's also negative for ketones (thank goodness). I was able to test her yesterday.

3. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

10:36 a.m. +5 350 I won't be surprised to see a red at PMPS. I can't test any more today until that time.

4. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

Hmmm, that's a bit puzzling.

Could be she saw some blue #s overnight and now her liver is protesting a bit. If she saw good #s overnight though, I would think she would be feeling better, rather than hanging by the water bowl. :(

Could be this dose is actually too high, but since you didn't get good results on the lower doses, not sure that lowering it back down is a good idea either. I suppose you could try 1.5u, but I'm not sure there's any real value in doing that.

If you get a PS tonight that is a drop down into lower #s, my guess would be this dose was too high, and then I might try 1.5u. If the PS is about in line with these #s, I'd probably give this dose a little longer, and try to get maybe a bedtime check in to see if maybe she is hitting blues.

An alternate idea is to go back to a lower dose, like one where you got some blues before, but then plan to regularly shoot earlier than at +12 if needed to head off higher #s. That's a pretty stressful route though, so personally I wouldn't go there for the moment at least.

Sorry not to have better advice - I'm a bit stumped. Hopefully some others will chime in with more insight.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Joanna, i'm thinking if the dose were too high we would have seen a significant drop first than a rise....this almost appears to be a furshot? is the insulin definetly still good stuff? we'll something went wrong this am but let's wait and see what tonight and tomorow brings.
    I think the kind of bounce you're talking about would have shown as a really high amps.
    FWIW :mrgreen:
    Lori

6. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

You're right Lori, if it were bounce it would seem like the PS should have been red. Weird. Bix is throwing weird higher #s too. :( Maybe it's just one of those days...... It's such a pain when the #s are wonky. :twisted: C'mon kitties, let's get with the program!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

....and to add to the strangness tomtom gave me his lowest amps in quite a while...202!
    and now he's riding the greens 6 hours later :mrgreen:

yesterday we started with 305 (horrors!) and 2 whole hours later he was at 299 (bigger horrors!) sometimes...i'll tell ya... but at +4 he was 79 so i know i did'nt fur shoot. :lol:

8. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Blackie seems to be liking the purples today for some reason. I had to not be home this afternoon, and honestly thought I'd see a red # today when we got back. Thankfull, we were just about 5 minutes late getting home today. So, it's not all that bad. Her shot will be given at 6:35 p.m.

It's not a fur shot. I check each time I give her a shot to see if I did give her a fur shot. I'm anal about that. LOL

Tomorrow's another day.

9. Mary & Stormy Blue

Mary & Stormy Blue Member

I am rather stumped as well. Either these slow, small dose increases are just not working for her, or perhaps this ProZinc insulin is not the best for her at these low doses. I am not saying that she needs to be anywhere NEAR where the vet set her dose, (frankly, that was a killing dose), but it may not be that the 1.6 is going to do what needs to be done. Maybe it needs another slight increase to 1.8 to see if she will go down to acceptable numbers on that. If she hits 2u BID before getting "good numbers" I think I will be as upset as you, Angela :-(

~M

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.