07/17 Mowgli AMPS 340 PMPS 250 +2 65 +2.5 45 +3 54 +3.5 63 +4.5 112 +5.5 209

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by AmandaE, Jul 17, 2019.

1. AmandaE

AmandaE Well-Known Member

07/16 Condo

Mowg and I had a slumber party last night! My favourite on a work night! He stayed safe the whole time, but of course today he is bouncing :rolleyes::rolleyes: He earned a reduction back to 1u so I hope he does better with it this time.

I had set an alarm last night for +8 but I foolishly left my phone in the bed between myself and my SO and I think he turned the alarm off before I woke up :eek: Mowgli’s fine today anyway so fortunately it worked out :)

Hope everyone has a great day :)

2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Congrats on the reducie. I hope Mowgli slides down and surfs on the new dose.

AmandaE likes this.
  3. Jerry dutchboy

Jerry dutchboy Well-Known Member

Don't you hate bounces? Glad Mowgli earned a reduction and stayed safe, congrats. :bighug:

AmandaE likes this.
  4. Sonia & Leo

Sonia & Leo Well-Known Member

Wow, what a night you had Amanda! Hope Mowgli continues to surf down after the boing this morning! :D:D:D:p
    I hope you're not too exhausted to have a wonderful day! :):coffee::)

AmandaE likes this.
  5. Margie and Jackson

Margie and Jackson Member

How low can Mowgli go! Stay safe and good luck on the reduction!

AmandaE likes this.
  6. Debra and Yoyo

Debra and Yoyo Well-Known Member

Yay for the reduction:)....good job Mowgli.

I hope you stop bouncing soon and bring your Mommy some more green numbers:D:D

AmandaE likes this.
  7. learjetta

learjetta Member

Mowgli just wanted your company last night... silly cat!

AmandaE likes this.
  8. AmandaE

Thanks Carla, hopefully he is actually ready for the 1u dose now :) I hope it helps him clear his bounce quickly.

9. AmandaE

Yes, they're SO annoying! He eats decently after PMPS too... maybe I should try a small amount of higher carb LC at the front of his cycle to try and eliminate his tendency to bungee jump! LOL seriously Mowg!

10. Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA)

Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA) Well-Known Member

Good morning little bouncer!!
    What a busy night you had Amanda !! Nice for the reduction, we'll see if he likes it!
    Have a great day !

AmandaE likes this.
  11. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

Yay for a reduction for Mowgli. Paws crossed it sticks. Way to go.
    No bouncing Mowg!!!

CandyH & Catcat and AmandaE like this.
  12. AmandaE

YES!! thanks for the reminder!! :coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee:

I'm glad that Mowgli stayed safe last night, I need to have a chat with him to let him know there are better ways to get my attention ;)

How the day will go for me remains to be seen, I am definitely exhausted BUT with some Coffee fuel on board I think I can manage :D

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  13. AmandaE

Thanks Margie! I'm glad he didn't feel like showing me how much lower he can go :p If he did, today I think he would be on a sky rocket to the moon!!!

14. AmandaE

Thanks Debra! I hope he clears the bounce quickly too! I find he usually does in these situations *knocks on wood* I hope he does do better on 1u than he had previously.

15. AmandaE

BAahahaha!! Mowgli needs to learn the concept of "positive attention" LOL he could easily have gotten tons of snuggles from me with purring... no need to plummet his BG and subject himself to so many pokes :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I'm glad he stayed safe :)

16. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

I think that is how I've avoided bounces...food! T has an open food policy so he seems to be managing his own curve for the most part!

17. AmandaE

I hope he love Love LOVES the reduction! he doesn't have a strong history at 1u, but hopefully this time will be different :)

I hope you have a great day today too!

18. AmandaE

Thanks Randi! I'm going to let Mowgli know you and Chloe are cheering him on! hopefully that will encourage him to work the new dose :D

Randi & Max (GA) likes this.
  19. AmandaE

I feed the same way! but I'm wondering if i just need a little higher carb % LC food at the front... who knows? Mowgli likes to keep me guessing ;)

20. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

Worth a try! I have some of the dry that he eats out & its interesting that the only time he touches it, if he touches it, is over the early morning hours which is exactly when his BG drops!

AmandaE likes this.
  21. CandyH & Catcat

CandyH & Catcat Well-Known Member

:coffee::coffee::coffee: :bighug::bighug:

thanks for the invitation to the pj party -- yes, I could've taken the shot, it was all loaded and sitting there -- well, I was there with you in spirit anyway

Catcat was sticking his tongue out at me this morning :p -- and as usual begging for food

cheers to Mowgli -- you can tell him I said SETTLE DOWN and enjoy 1u

Sonia & Leo, Tomlin and AmandaE like this.
  22. AmandaE

I will relay the message!! Do you hear Candy, Mowgli?! she's telling you to simmer down!

I could sense you there in spirit with me... but also you were actually present for quite a bit :D

I have 20oz of coffee locked and loaded but I may need more :cat::cat::coffee::cat::cat:

Tomlin and CandyH & Catcat like this.
  23. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

If he's hungry, why not feed him? I find frequent small meals help level things out - plus the persistent begging eases off too...many people here free feed - you can leave FF wet - low carb food out - unless he needs to lose weight - just curious why not feed him?

Hope you get some rest - sounds like an interesting night. Nice work on the reducie!

Tomlin and AmandaE like this.
  24. AmandaE

I actually do free feed Mowgli... I'm talking more about kind of spiking his food when he first chows down at AMPS/PMPS with a higher % LC food. Usually for AM he gets 1.5 cans FF or 3/4 can friskies and PMPS 1 can FF or 3/4 can Friskies. He isn't the type to gorge himself so I feel comfortable doing that :)

One thing I have considered though is taking his food up to our bathroom in the evening as I think he kind of gets Lazy and won't go downstairs to eat at night :rolleyes: That could be dangerous if he ever plummets at sometime after my night time tests.

It was definitely an interesting night, but I am thankful that *so far* Mowgli has been fairly consistent and predictable in these events.
    • Bungee from Yellow to Blue around +2
    • Free fall to Green +3/4
    • Nadir +4-6
    • on the way up by +7
    I hope he keeps this pattern if he stays a stunt man with crazy drops... I would prefer his cycle flatten out though. :)

For today... I am at work... no rest for me! hopefully Mowgli wont have any antics tonight on 1u and we will get a good sleep in :D

25. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Ah, I see what you mean. Luci is a drama queen too - does the same thing - sometimes she's high and then takes off and does a high-dive into the middle of the lagoon - surprises the heck out of me!!! I've had many wranglings with her food - trying to get her to eat a little more of something if i suspect she's going to do a header - but that's backfired on me many times and her next number would be higher - she never tells me when she's throwing off the parachute and is roaring away to the lagoon.

That's one of the reasons I switched to Levemir. It's supposed to help level things off and hopefully will prevent some of these super high dive routines of hers.

It's a tricky game - just be persistent and keep doing what you've been doing...one thing for sure about these FD cats - they're unpredictable as all get out.

Hope you can stay awake at work - be safe and enjoy your day! :bighug:

AmandaE likes this.
  26. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

I hope the coffee keeps you going :)! I like your descriptions of bungee & free fall----boy, do those words describe some of the falls PERFECTLY:p! I do move food into my master bedroom at night & that does make a difference with re: to him eating more during the night.

AmandaE and Krystina & Nelli like this.
  27. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Good luck with the reduction! Hope Mowg comes down nice and easy like.

AmandaE likes this.
  28. CandyH & Catcat

I've been adding extra virgin olive oil to Catcat's main meals at shot time, also probiotics (I take them, share the capsule with him), that slight extra calorie load seems to keep him a bit more satisfied (except this morning when he was influenced by the no-shot night), sometimes also a dried sardine, extra omegas 3 & 6, has cleared up that awful dandruff problem too

AmandaE likes this.
  29. AmandaE

Thanks for routing for him Tracey!!

30. AmandaE

Interesting! how much Olive oil do you use? What pro-biotic? where do you get dried sardines?

31. CandyH & Catcat

olive oil == a splash into the bowl (don't measure it probably close to a teaspoonful); probiotic == PB8 from Northwest Naturals, intended for human use, I happened to have it on hand for myself; YF&P (local pet/feed store) carries dry sardines from www.tgipt.com The Granville Island Pet Treatery out of Vancouver BC Canada

may be able to get dry sardines/herring/anchovies from a store carrying Oriental food supplies, same place you can get bonito flakes, both are used to make broth as a first step in many dishes -- human grade, cheaper, bigger packages

Krystina & Nelli and AmandaE like this.
  32. AmandaE

I like the idea of working some fats into his diet :D I will have to have a look around ;)

33. CandyH & Catcat

AmandaE likes this.
  34. AmandaE

35. AmandaE

+2 is 65, quite a drop from his PMPS, since it’s such a drastic +2 drop what should my next steps be? MC? I have grilled tuna feast that using guaranteed analysis ( less accurate than the list I know) is 15%

Should I grab +2.5 or +3?

36. AmandaE

Additionally, technically this would qualify Mowgli for a reduction... but it would be a back to back reduction. Thoughts?

37. AmandaE

Fed a tsp of meat and a tsp of gravy from the MC

38. CandyH & Catcat

WOW -- Mowgli's pancreas must be percolating -- I'd expect that sort of drop on Vetsulin, not Lantus

maybe I need to send Blake-the-dog over to chew up that bungee cord Mowgli keeps playing with

no, no, not ANOTHER short night so soon !

AmandaE likes this.
  39. Chubba (GA)

Chubba (GA) Well-Known Member

I’m not sure about the back to back reduction. I would wait and see how this cycle plays out. I would probably test again in 30 min to see if still dropping. Did you get a second test to make sure that was an accurate reading?

40. AmandaE

Please do send Blake, tell Mowgli he’s “cut off”

41. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

Looks like he isn't lingering over the bounce from last night, he's clearing it with some good momentum. I would feed some higher LC to try and flatten him out, if he were Mav, but I don't know how carb sensitive Mowgli is. it might be worth seeing where he is at in 1/2 hour. These early drops can be scary, but he's still in good numbers. He's under your reducie point, so I'd like him to flatten out now ;)

42. AmandaE

I didn’t take a second test but this was a similar pattern to last night. Stand by for the +2.5 :)

Re the back to back: if this cycle goes low, would it be the type of situation that we would skip the AM shot to drain the depot and start back at 1u at tomorrow’s PM shot?

Chubba (GA) likes this.
  43. AmandaE

Ditto!! Flatten out please Mowg! Back to back late nights makes me a poor employee in the morning. o_O

I have had numbers like this at +2 before but I’m a little more concerned tonight because, like you said he’s really clearing the morning bounce with momentum and his drop from PMPS is pretty hard. He’s receptive to carbs and usually I can feed him through his lows fairly successfully.

44. Chubba (GA)

That’s good that he responds to carbs. He surfed last night. So paws crossed that happens again tonight.

45. Christie & Maverick

No, I don't think so. He's just really quick to clear the bounce, but ideally you want to see what 1u can do. Depends on this cycle, but what @Chubba (GA) was referring to is going down to 0.75u right away tomorrow since you just reduced. You might see a bounce again tomorrow am, so no skip would be required.

AmandaE likes this.
  46. AmandaE

+2.5 45, HC gravy?

ETA fed 1tsp HC gravy and meat (couldn’t separate meat)

47. Chubba (GA)

Yes. Retest 20 min. Maybe rub honey on gums?

48. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

You are getting some good advice. Stay with it. The karo got regular use in our house.:bighug::bighug::bighug:

AmandaE likes this.
  49. CandyH & Catcat

at least in spirit, Blake the dog (half Siberian husky, half black Lab) is on his way ... he chews up any and all leashes, car seatbelts, etc

not sure why, I have his pic in Paint but somehow can't get it to copy here

AmandaE likes this.
  50. AmandaE

+3 54 I’m holding him with carbs. How should I proceed? 1tsp HC, MC, or LC?

51. Chubba (GA)

He is back up into safe numbers. I would probably go HC, but MC might be alright also. He is close to 50 and still pretty early in cycle.

ETA - retest 30 min. I might be telling you to test to often, but I was always a worrier.

AmandaE and JeffJ like this.
  52. CandyH & Catcat

remember, I'm still a newbie, what worked for me was LC food with several drops of honey mixed in -- the food to carry him a while, the honey to give him a quick boost but it wears off quickly too

Tomlin, JeffJ and AmandaE like this.
  53. Christie & Maverick

Is his appy good? I'd feed some MC just one more time, then test again in 1/2 hour, past feed of HC can wear off quickly.

AmandaE likes this.
  54. Christie & Maverick

You'll want two hours consecutive without intervention at safe numbers. Since he is above 50 no need for karo or honey.

55. AmandaE

I fed 1tsp meat and gravy MC, his appetite is very good right now! Will test at +3.5 :)

Thanks all!

56. AmandaE

+3.5 63,

should I try switching him to LC to steer him along or stay with the MC? will test again at +4

Tomlin and Christie & Maverick like this.
  57. Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA)

I kept watching you go! So many good advices! Let's go Mowgli, come up and be safe!

AmandaE likes this.
  58. Chubba (GA)

He is heading in the right direction. I would test again around +4.5 or +5 when the HC food wears off.
    I would use LC food at this point.

59. Christie & Maverick

I'd go with the LC, and given he's on his way up, I think you can wait to test in an hour now.

AmandaE and Chubba (GA) like this.
  60. Chubba (GA)

It’s nearing midnight, so I’m going to sign off soon. Remember to test 2 hours after the food wears off just to confirm he is safe before calling it a night.

Christie & Maverick and AmandaE like this.
  61. AmandaE

Thanks Lyane! this is Mowgli's first time in the bright greens! I thought of a little while ago when you started giving Ti his shots in the side, and alll of the sudden: BOOM in the shark tank! I am so thankful that Mowgli reacts to carbs :)

62. Christie & Maverick

@Chubba (GA) nice to see you around, just like the old days :)

JeffJ, AmandaE and Chubba (GA) like this.
  63. AmandaE

Thanks, so much for sticking with me through this, I really appreciate it! Sweet dreams :joyful:
    Ok! I will wait the full hour before another test, poor Mowgli's ears!! Although I have to say... I think hes really getting the impression that pokes = tasty tasty meals ;)

64. Sonia & Leo

Hi Amanda, I see you're going to need a lot of coffee again tomorrow. :)

65. Chubba (GA)

I’ve always been lurking. Never could give it up. Just getting back to posting. Nice to see Mav’s photo again. :)

66. AmandaE

So grateful that You guys could have some nostalgia while helping me out!! I am totally benefiting from the reunion :p

67. Christie & Maverick

When the dust settles, Amanda, don't forget to keep track on your SS of the carbs/timing of snacks, for future reference. It helps so you don't over carb next time, or under carb ;)

68. AmandaE

I will be SUCH a zombie at work tomorrow!!

69. AmandaE

Definitely! I'm picking away at it now :)

Christie & Maverick likes this.
  70. Christie & Maverick

I'll check back in with you one more time, I have to go see what Mav's numbers are doing now :cat:

71. Perry & Jenn

Perry & Jenn Member

Oh my gosh, you and Mowgli are on quite the roller coaster here, Amanda! You're going to need a barrel of coffee tomorrow.

AmandaE and Sonia & Leo like this.
  72. AmandaE

Thanks so much Christie! you've been a total lifesaver :)

Christie & Maverick likes this.
  73. AmandaE

Or you know... an IV drop! :p

This about sums it up:

600AF47C-D78A-47A1-B031-77F62601F02B.jpeg

74. Christie & Maverick

Anytime, glad to help. You were doing pretty awesome, and had it covered ;), but I always found it was nice to have a few friends poke their noses in.

AmandaE and Sonia & Leo like this.
  75. Christie & Maverick

Where is the wine and chocolate? :D

76. Sonia & Leo

Nice! Don't get the chips and the ff mixed up, lol

Tomlin, JeffJ, AmandaE and 1 other person like this.
  77. CandyH & Catcat

see you in the morning -- :coffee::coffee::coffee: -- I'll be up and on for at least another hour, hoping that Catcat doesn't throw me greens ASAP

Tomlin, AmandaE and Sonia & Leo like this.
  78. Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA)

Nice to see everything went well; you had wonderful coaches!
    Too bad it's not Saturday tomorrow....

79. Crista & Ming

Crista & Ming Well-Known Member

Yikes! That's a huge drop!

I'd still test in an hour just to be safe if you can. But that is going to trigger quite the bounce tomorrow.

80. AmandaE

OMG WINE!!! who AM I and what was I thinking!? I spent my time making greek chicken burgers for supper tomorrow :p I should have had the wine locked and loaded... I'll have to put a bottle in my hypo kit LOL

Tomlin and Christie & Maverick like this.
  81. AmandaE

LOL OMG!!! can you IMAGINE!!!!

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  82. AmandaE

It's so true, it really makes a huge difference, just to have a second opinion or to know someone with more experience has their eyes on you :)

Tomlin likes this.
  83. AmandaE

Bright and early eh!? I will be up at least another hour too, I'm going to grab a +4.5 and a +5.5

Tomlin likes this.
  84. CandyH & Catcat

any of you with a little time, check the main forum, there's a newbie there that needs more help than I can offer, she's from Australia

85. AmandaE

Right!? What does Mowgli have to prove anyway?!.
    He was really digging food with gravy... I hope He doesn't realize that this is a method that will guarantee he gets his way :nailbiting:

Crista & Ming and Sonia & Leo like this.
  86. AmandaE

+4.5 = 112, I think the food combined with his typical cycle is showing that he is solidly on the way up, I will grab a +5.5 before I head to bed :)

87. Christie & Maverick

Sheesh...saw your +4.5...don't bother with +5.5, looks like Mowgli is saying good night!

AmandaE likes this.
  88. Christie & Maverick

Ok, if you are still awake, but you can give him a pokie break if you'd like ;)

89. AmandaE

You're so right! It was such a relief to have everyone here, I am so thankful!!

I wish Wish WISH it was Saturday tomorrow... We aren't even CLOSE!!! (to me... tomorrow is close :cool:)

90. AmandaE

I have a couple things to wrap up in the kitchen ... turns out meal prep is not easy to clean as you go along if you are also obsessing over your diabetic cat ;):p

Thanks again to you, such a relief to have you, @Chubba (GA) and @JeffJ here checking in on me, as well as all of the other members who followed along. THANKS EVERYONE!!!! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

91. CandyH & Catcat

suspect we can both relax -- Catcat's +3 = 185 after a preshot at 281 -- he's probably dropped enough that he'll stay in the middle blues

thank goodness for the Lantus depot -- if this were vetsulin I'd be up a while

Sonia & Leo and AmandaE like this.
  92. AmandaE

Awesome! I'm glad you wont have to stay up either! I started with Mowgli on Caninsulin! I found it just so stressful, I had to get up SO early just to make sure he would eat and the possibility of force feeding was always hanging over my head... for my schedule... NOT a fan!

93. CandyH & Catcat

same here, even though I'm retired, I have to remember I'm officially an old lady (don't feel that way except when I'm tired)

do need my sleep, with Catcat getting me up around 5 AM after bedtime around 10:30, I wind up falling asleep inadvertently for a couple of hours in the afternoon

as my former mother in law used to say, I "slept my brain into train oil" ...

94. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

It's nice to have that "barely lime green" for the first hypo. Looking good. I'm not going to stay on after this - I'm "Tucker'ed" out from this morning.:D

Catcat is looking good, no reason to stay up there.:bighug:

For Mowgli, we don't want to get too relaxed. We have seen low value, then blue, then low value - in different cats. The 2 hour rule listed by Chubba - is a very good rule to remember with these lime green situations.

Tomlin, CandyH & Catcat and AmandaE like this.
  95. AmandaE

Thanks for sticking by Jeff!

I am planning to grab the +5.5 which will be 3 hours from our 45, each hour after the 45 went up. So if he's still on the way up (which I would be surprised if he isn't preparing a bounce) then I will head to bed.

Have a great sleep :)

96. AmandaE

LOL I have NEVER heard that one!! I really like it :D

97. CandyH & Catcat

mother in law from Cardross in Scotland -- (near Glasgow) -- ex-DH one of the "Boeing imports". brought over from Hunting Aircraft for wing design on the SST that never got built -- people tell me I still have a burr in my voice, though most would guess I'm from Canada .. NOPE -- strictly west coast USA starting in Oregon, with short unfortunate sojourn in Oklahoma

98. Sonia & Leo

LOL, good one Jeff!

JeffJ and CandyH & Catcat like this.
  99. Sonia & Leo

G'night all, sweet dreams. :bighug:

AmandaE and CandyH & Catcat like this.
  100. AmandaE

Night Sonia!!