07/18 Blackie AMPS 465

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Angela & Blackie & 3 Others, Jul 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Angela & Blackie & 3 Others Well-Known Member

Are we bouncing now...? I'm guessing we're still trying to train her liver, right? Don't forget, I think this is going to be the 3rd day she's been on this increased dose, and I understand that it takes a while for a little body to get used to it (about 5-7 or 8 days...). I'm curious to see where she goes with this dose. I'll check her at +3.

2. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

316 @ +3; 8:52 a.m. Neg. ketones. She's going down, at least. :) Will test again @ +5.

3. Rob & Harley (GA)

Rob & Harley (GA) Well-Known Member

Sorry I don't have any answers for you, I just wanted to say hi and keep up the good work.

We just did a dose increase too so I have all the same questions you do. Harley and I will be cheering for you.

Robin

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

no carolyn, this is no longer liver training, at the moment anyway. that would show up for a day or two after an unusually low # (for your cat) the more i look at your chart the more i see that these doses are a bit weak for blackie. would you mind starting a second post and asking beans to take a good look at your ss and figure out why blackie has'nt seen any blues or greens for so long...with so few exceptional days. these #'s don't have to go on and on and i am wondering if you might go higher still (dose) as this is clearly not enough.
    just my thoughts.

5. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

Hmmm, she is a bit of a puzzle. I wish I had some good answers for you. The #s aren't clicking for me, but since the lower doses weren't working consistently and I don't see signs this dose is too high (like inverse curves), sticking with the plan of small increases every few days is all I can think of as a reasonable game plan.

When things were like this with Bix, just frustrating and no consistent progress, and #s that I couldn't make sense of, after much putzing around with different approaches I ended up just gutting it out with the small dose increases every few days. Then with him I got a dramatic breakthrough one day, and then he was on a super-quick dose reduction path. So I guess that's the only thing I can relate it to right now - to keep with the dose increases, and be ready if you do see good #s to reduce quickly if needed. It might not be needed, but seems like there is a liver-training factor with her, she's reacted before when she got blue #s, so if you can get her into good #s then once she gets past that I would think her dose will come down.

6. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

7. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

404 PMPS Not sure what I'm doing wrong (I don't think I'm doing anything wrong. She's negative for ketones (thank goodness).

8. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

You're not doing anything wrong!!! Sometimes it's just confusing. Sometimes they will get good #s almost no matter what you do, and sometimes it seems like no matter what you do, you can't get the good #s. My best advice would be not to stress about it too much - just stick with a plan and keep taking each step as needed. Their insulin needs can also change, so sometimes what worked at one point won't work at another point. Just hang in there! You are seeing U-curves, which is what you want, so that is good news! She may just need a little more insulin to stay in better #s.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hi Angela, sorry I called you Carolyn in my last post...was still crying over latte.
    And no, no, no, you are not doing anything wrong at all, as a matter of fact you are giving blackie the 5 star treatment. I was just thinking we could be less conservative about waiting 7 days for dose increases, maybe 5 cycles (each shot being a cycle) becuase honey I really don't think these high #'s are good for blackie and the chance of a hypo now after him surviving 8u...well they are pretty small.
    I really don't mean to startle you at all, just think more dose creases at these unhealthy #'s. remember we are not dealing with lantus here. I would think the # that works would show up THAT day or at the very least the next. and by a # that works I mean a nadir in the green.
    IMHO

10. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

If I have to increase her insulin dosage every few days, then I will. Tomorrow, I'll increase it to 1.8, and stay with that for a few days to see if anything improves. May have to switch her food, too... Don't know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.