07/23 Sunshine - +3 32!!!!

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by PumpkinsMom, Jul 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PumpkinsMom

PumpkinsMom Member

Sunshine was 112 at +11 and 103 at what *should* have been AMPS. She is apparently determined to not be on a schedule.

I do not appreciate this +3 of 32, even though she is playing and delightful! I opened up 5 cans of food and she ignored all of them, so against my better judgement I opened a can of Sheba gravy food.

2. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

Re: 07/23 Sunshine - Still waiting to shoot

Wow she's got a long hang time with the Lev!! If we had more data on her on Lev and we could trust her to eat she might still be safe to shoot low to stay low. But since she just switched and her eating style I'd sure like to see her rising first. With Autumn I'd have no problem shooting even a still falling 103 because I know her nadir is just about the next preshot and she'll eat anything.

Do you think we might need to cut her dose back to .25?

Mel and The Fur Gang

3. PumpkinsMom

PumpkinsMom Member

If this were PZI, I would have totally shot that. But Lev is new to me AND she is a terrible eater. I never know what she might eat or when. I was surprised that she dropped between +11 and +12 and that was not her nadir at all. She was 73 at 5:30 this morning. We can try 0.25u, especially if I can catch her rising but still low.

Maybe she wants to go home with an OTJ present to Amy???

4. MommaOfMuse

I hear ya! I know Lev and with Autumn or Cassanova would have shot no problem but with either of mine not eating means they're at death's door. Heck I've shot a 37 with Autumn because I knew she'd eat and was on the rise so reduced and shot to nip down the bounce. But with Sunnybear there are just too many variables to make it safe to pull some of the tricks I pull with mine.

Let's see if she can hold a dose reduction down to .25u Rather have her a little high than crash and not eat for you.

Did she eat for you yet today?

Mel and The Fur Gang

5. PumpkinsMom

PumpkinsMom Member

She was 144 so I gave 0.25u. She has nibbled at the food that is down now. Two days ago she ate an entire can of this food..............
    I have to go to the grocery store later so I'll get some more fishy FF flavors which she seems to like (at least she likes them once).

6. matya13

matya13 Member

Whoa! Crazy Sunny! Of course I'd love her to come home OTJ, but those numbers scare me! (Of course, I'm very inexperienced, too.)

Silly thing, still not eating. :sad: Have you tried just plain canned chicken or tuna or chicken/tuna broth?

7. PumpkinsMom

PumpkinsMom Member

So when I got the 32, I opened a few cans of food and in turn, she turned up her nose at all of them. I relented and gave her gravy food and she snarfed that down in literally 20 seconds. I can try canned tuna or chicken but I know that's not life-sustaining for the long term.

I'm not scared of the 32 unless she was symptomatic. Then I'd be much more worried. But a cat playing and being happy at 32 is okay in my opinion. I just wanted her to eat something so she didn't go lower.

8. MommaOfMuse

Holy moly. Sunny you need to eat something on a regular basis if we're gonna get you well. We're trying but you need to work with us.

Wondering if we need to just shoot around the carb load from dry food and try retransistioning her over again. The refusal to eat even when low scares me. Not so much while she's with you Jenna because you're there to test and feed if she'll eat. But when she goes back to Amy its gonna be very difficult to have her shoot any dose 12/12 and not worry about a hypo.

Mel and The Fur Gang

9. matya13

matya13 Member

Silly, silly Sunny - holding out for food you know is bad for you!! (Give her a hug from me, anyway.)

I may have trained her to be bad like this by opening more cans for her every time she refused something. Sigh. Sorry!

10. PumpkinsMom

PumpkinsMom Member

She happily eats wet food, when it's the "right" food that suits her particular mood.

I'd rather shoot around high-carb wet than shoot around high-carb dry. Although I think Amy was using a low-carb dry? I have a friend that has a client that got his kitty OTJ using a no-carb dry. Stand by. I will ask her.

11. MommaOfMuse

I've seen a couple go OTJ on the Young Again Zero Carb dry but OMG it's pricey. Like $50 for a small bag. Would work for an only or a pair not for my 16

I broke my foster off the dry with HC, then MC and finally LC but she was in general just a pill to begin with and slightly psycho.

Mel and The Fur Gang

12. PumpkinsMom

PumpkinsMom Member

Instinct Chicken Meal and Young Again Zero Carb both have diabetic users with no spikes in BG.

13. PumpkinsMom

PumpkinsMom Member

Yikes, $49 for 8 pounds? That's a lot.

There is also Freshpet which has a semi-moist food. I just posted the link on someone's thread on FDMB the other day about it. It's 5 or 6%, my cats go crazy for it. It's not financially sustainable for 16 cats but one sweet little Sunshine, it's not too pricey.

14. MommaOfMuse

Yeah I had sticker shock myself when trying to find something my foster would eat so I could shoot that if my OTJ boy got into wouldn't cost his remission.

Your call you're the one feeding her or trying to. At this point anything she'll eat reliably so she's safe to shoot. Bad part of the L's is you can't just chase numbers depending on if she eats or not or how much. They both want consistency and what you're shooting today isn't what is being used in the cycle its being shot.

Mel and The Fur Gang

15. matya13

matya13 Member

For Sunny, no, she was not getting dry food. I feed my cat Lucky, who is a dry-food addict, Orijen, which isn't terrible. I'd prefer her to stay on wet only, even if it has to be gravy food or other high carb.

I think I tried the Freshpet with her and Jibbit...maybe. Or maybe I just tried it with my Squeaker. In any case, whoever I tried it with hated it!

Thanks for working so hard to get Sunny managed, Jenna! :smile:

16. PumpkinsMom

PumpkinsMom Member

I got some Sheba that didn't look too terrible and some fishy FF so I'll see how that goes. That was just from the grocery store. I need to go to Petsmart and see what they have that might be palatable. She liked the Country Pet Venison but it's 0% carbs and it makes me nervous to switch to that as a complete diet (also it has no taurine added but it does have bones).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.