07/26 Spitzer did it to me again

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by BJM, Jul 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

I tested him pre-shot last night and he was only a 45! No apparent signs of hypo, and not bugging me about being fed, either. Food was left on plates on all floors, so he wasn't eating. Obviously, I didn't give insulin. I opened up fresh cans of food all around - Purina Poultry Platter mixed w/ Special Kitty Turkey and Giblets. Gave him a bit of Pepcid (1/4 of 10 mg tablet) He ate some, but not a lot. I re-checked him an hour later and he'd made it up to 60. Only a desultory attempt at eating, so no insulin last night.

I checked him this morning and he'd made it up to 212. Again, put out fresh food, this time doing the Friskies and the Special Kitty separately. He & everyone else attacked the Friskies (about 7% carb calories) and when I put down the Special Kitty (about 5% carb calories), also ate that, so not sure what the heck is happening. I gave him some metaclopramide (from the vet), too. I reduced the insulin dose down to 1.5 units from 2 units and will go home at +6 to check on him in case his inappetance continues. While I'd like to think he earned the reduction, I believe it is more likely he has an upset GI system. I reduced the dose because if he doesn't eat enough to match the circulating insulin, he'll hypo. This is when I don't like the rigidity of Lantus dosing - you can't make adjustments on the fly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.