08/01- Spooky Threw Up After Morning Shot

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by koala kim, Aug 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. koala kim

koala kim Member

Spooky ate some food (FF turkey) and all seemed well. I gave him his shot (1u). A few minutes later, he decided to go back and eat some more of his food. After that, he promptly threw up.

After about 15 minutes, we managed to get some re-hydrated Stella & Chewy's in him ( he loves that stuff).

Is there a chance he will go hypoglycemic? Should we call the vet? Am I overreacting?

Oh- his AMPS was 261.

Thanks in advance.

ETA- He is on Lantus. Forgot to say that up there ^

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

As long as he has something in his tummy, a hypo is much less likely, especially with a long lasting insulin like Lantus. Will you be around so you can get a test in an hour or so, just to see how the cycle is looking? And you might try feeding a different flavor -just a few tablespoons at a time - to see if he will eat again.

3. koala kim

koala kim Member

Thank you for answering <3

I already told my husband I would go in late to work so we can test again.
    We gave him his shot @ 10, and he threw up about 15 minutes later. So test @ 11:15?

4. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

That soon will probably just reflect a food rise, but might reassure you that he is doing a normal cycle. If you will worry today, is there someone who could just come in and look at him around +6? He should be fine. Lantus is mild and eating less than usual shouldn't make a big change to the cycle.

5. koala kim

koala kim Member

Thank you Sue. He tested 272, so that makes me feel better. He is not interested in any food right now, but is *very* upset with us over the extra testing. LOL

The problem with a +6 test is it still takes both of us to test him, and we work opposite schedules. That's why we did his curve on Sunday. It's the only day of the week we're both off and can test regularly.

Thank you again for the reassurance. I believe he will be okay. And I have been leaving food out (wet and/or frozen) for all the cats during the day/overnight, so if he decides to eat again, it will be there for him.

6. Ry & Scooter

Ry & Scooter Member

A good way to test by yourself is to do the kitty burrito. Place kitty in a towel, wrap it around him tightly, under the neck so his front legs are secure, and wedge him between you and the arm of a couch, pile of pillows, or whatever so he can't move. I had to do the burrito for about a week before Scooter realized that sitting still made it SO much easier.

BTW - Lantus is very gentle and while food does helps stop a harsh drop, it is nowhere near as harsh as something like Humulin N or Caninsulin. As long as he's got something in his tummy he should be OK. I would recommend feeding more frequently in smaller portions if you aren't already - Scooter will puke if he eats more than about 2tb of food at a time because he is a glutton and scarfs it down so fast he throws it up and then meows for more. ohmygod_smile

7. koala kim

koala kim Member

We do the burrito, but it still takes both of us. My husband tried tonight for a hot second, by himself. Spooky was like "I'm breaking out! Yay!!!" :lol: So we had to go back real fast to him holding and me testing.

Spooky is getting better with at least finding him for the tests. He will jump up on the couch or coffee table about 10-15 minutes before his morning test, and he did it tonight before the evening test.

Now to convince him it would be a lot easier if only one of us could test him...

I am so glad to know Lantus is more gentle for Spooky. :smile:
    Spooky used to scarf and barf at the drop of a hat. Since we've made the switch to wet, he hasn't thrown up near as often. Thank goodness! I cannot think of too many things worse than cleaning up wet cat vomit :shock:

The first week, I was so stressed about a feeding schedule, insulin, testing- poor thing. He would be so hungry when I got home from work or got up in the morning. :cry:

Thanks to the forum, I'm more relaxed about not picking up the bowls after 15 minutes, and leave a nice frozen chunk of semi-raw chicken/EVO 95% mix for everyone overnight. All 3 cats snack on it. If there's anything left around 5am (some days there is, some days there isn't) I toss it so he isn't eating too close to his 10am dosage time.

Following this eating schedule, he doesn't act like he's starving. I realize it may affect his BG a little, but at least I know he's not hungry. :smile:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.