09/28/2011 Spitzer doing OK; civvie Farrall not so great

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by BJM, Sep 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Previously

Spitzer needed his insulin increased slightly when I added a 6 oz can of the Friskies Turkey and Giblets (about 7% carb calories) to the 13.2 oz can Sophisticat Turkey and Giblets (about 0% carb calories). I added it because Spitzer and several of the other cats are getting too thin and need more calories. If getting him to eat enough means foods requiring higher insulin doses, thats what I'm going to do. I think Spitzer is going to be on insulin forever and I'm OK with that.

Farrall, my 14 year old cat, is not doing so well. She has lost a good deal of weight. She'll take a lick or two of food, then stop, which puts her at risk of hepatic lipidosis from insufficient calories. When I took her in 2 weeks ago, it seemed like she had a kitty cold. Her bloodwork was fine and her exam didn't find anything suspicious. I'm going to drop her off this afternoon to get x-rayed. I really suspect some kind of cancerous tumor will be found as she seems uncomfortable. I'm seeing evidence of vomiting in the basement, where she often hangs out, especially since some of the younger cats are going after her more (healthy cats may attack a sick cat). She'll still purr if petted and cuddled, but I'm concerned about her being in pain or feeling nauseous. I've been giving her something for nausea, but it doesn't seem to be helping. She isn't a big time cuddle cat, more of a satellite cat. It may be time to let her go. :sad:

Mason is becoming more vocal with the other cats. He still hisses at me when I reach in the crate for anything, even bringing fresh food. As soon as he's had his 2nd round of wormer and Frontline Plus, I'll be able to move him into the lower crate where he can interact with the other cats more. I still need to roof the big kennel where I want to put him so I have enough room to get in there with him and work on socializing him more.

I revamped the food shelter where I'm putting Elf's food so she has a more open space and can get under it to eat when its raining. She's getting bigger, but it doesn't look quite like a pregnancy at this time. I am assuming Elf is female; I haven't been able to see evidence otherwise.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  2. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Julia & Bandit (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm sorry about Farrall. If you need a food to put weight on temporarily, Wellness kitten food is good food for sick cats gaining weight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.