1/05 Jan and Buddy AMPS 330

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Jan and Buddy, Jan 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jan and Buddy

Jan and Buddy Member

2. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

How's Buddy doing today? Maybe he will try on a new yellow suit huh? :cool: cool and suave in yellow

Have a great day Jan!

3. Jan and Buddy

Jan and Buddy Member

Re: 1/05 Jan and Buddy PMPS 413 Need some general input.

I would like some suggestions/input please: :dizcat :dizcat :dizcat

Don't have the numbers in front of me, but via phone call was told Buddy was inconclusive on Acro testing! (Will get paper results in a day or so with numbers.)

They say that because he has "never been regulated" or had the "basics" done at the vet hospital, that they think he should be left there for the 2-3 days to get him "REGULATED". Of course I came back with the things I keep hearing here, BG will be high because of stress etc. Said I felt that I could do the same thing here (curve) and not cost me alot of money. But they said everything is precise when there doing this. They said that they have "regulated" alot of cats and dogs, and sent them on there way with a consistant dose, eating schedule etc and bring the animal back in every week or so to check BG. So I'm thinking well I have tried to do it myself and really haven'y had any luck so maybe there right???????? My mind is spinning.

So what I would like to do as best I can is start a strict schedule and diet and try and keep Buddy on it for a week as best I can, to see if anything were to change.

Buddy is about 16+lbs, he seems to like everything I put in front of him, he has no other problems going on that I know of, he lets me test him with no problem, don't even have to give a treat everytime.

So what input I would like is: how much food Ounces, cans whatever) should I give per meal, how many meals in a day (5am-5pm)

I don't know, I guess now I'm trying to second guess EVERYTHING!!!!

Whatever anyone would like to suggest, I'm open to. Anything would be appreciated.

4. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

The acro test result should come back with a number, ask for the number and the reference range and the gals here can help determine whether or not that number points to acro. But my understanding (and somebody PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong!) is that the acro test result has nothing to do with what his current blood glucose readings or regulation are. It's a measurement of a DIFFERENT hormone present in the body.

We have seen cats with "borderline" acro results here, and we have also seen cats on higher doses (higher than Buddy's) who are not acro. Buddy is actually responding pretty well to the Lantus now, it took him a higher dose than some cats to get there, and he still needs to do some hard work in Liver Training School, but he is doing well. I'll be back later to look at his spreadsheet but I wanted to jump in and ask if you had the number from the acro test.

5. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

hi jan! did they give you a test result number?
    you might want to read through this thread on the "old" board. it contains other kitties test results and some of the comments.

Acrocats, what were your IGF-1 results?: http://www.felinediabetes.com/phorum5/r ... sg-1055552

in the US a result > 100 is considered positive for acromegaly.

6. D and Noisy

D and Noisy Well-Known Member

I think you need to wait for the acro test number.
    Like Libby said you are getting a decent response to the insulin.
    Paws crossed for not going to the vet to get regulated. ;-)

7. Patti and Merlin

Patti and Merlin Member

Hi Jan,
    So sorry I couldn't talk to you when you called. It's hopping here at work.

Yes - please get that number. Like I said - anything >100 for the IGF1 is + for acro no matter what your vet says!

Also did you say your IAA result was 72? Am I wrong? I'm so sorry - my mind was going in about 20 directions when you called. Anything >20 is + for having IAA. I will check back when I get home. I don't know if you will see this yet tonight tho.

I so vote tho for not going to vet to get regulated. You can certainly see how everyone else here feels but I really don't think it's going to help you any more than everyone here in LL has helped you. You are doing a great job thus far - and it's just going to take some more time yet.

8. Jan and Buddy

Jan and Buddy Member

Patti,
    Yes the IAA was a 72, Im pretty sure that is what I was told.
    I'm not going to panic or get excited until I see the numbers tho, which I will post.
    Thanks
    Jan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.