1/1 Rocket +6 90 and gave half dose

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Rocket & his Mom, Jan 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rocket & his Mom

Rocket & his Mom Well-Known Member

i won't have time to post his amps....

taking Rocket to the ER

waiting for his amps and feeding him....phenobarbital will have to wait til we get home....not liking what i'm seeing....please pray all goes well.....

will report later

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Re: 1/1 Rocket +11 122 --taking him to ER after amps

Sending snowflakes and vines.

3. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Ann & Maggie11 (GA) Well-Known Member

Prayers for Rocket and you; we'll be waiting for an update. Hugs.

4. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Prayers and vines and snowflakes being sent.

5. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Lisa and Do Lou (GA) Well-Known Member

[​IMG]sending snowflakes and healing vines update when you can (((((((Claudia)))))))

6. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

:YMHUG: thinking of you both & sending healing blessings to Rocket

7. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

oh no... thinking of you this morning. I hope Rocket will be ok. Please update when you can. (((((Claudia))))) (((((Rocket)))))

8. Georgia and Simon (GA)

Georgia and Simon (GA) Well-Known Member

Lots of hugs and healing prayers for you and Rocket. Hope all goes well.

9. Karrie and Maverick

Karrie and Maverick Well-Known Member

((((((((((Rocket))))))))))))) I'll keep you both in my thoughts today.

10. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending good vetty vines to Rocket ....good luck at the ER.....thinking of you ...
    (((((Rocket))))) (((((Claudia)))))

Here is your link to yesterday's condo: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=33281

11. Tena and Curry(GA)

Tena and Curry(GA) Well-Known Member

Sending a blanket of healing vines for Rocket.

Attached Files:

12. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

(((Claudia and Rocket))) Thinking of you and praying for good news.

13. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

(((claudia and rocket)))

14. Rocket & his Mom

Re: 1/1 Rocket AMPS 133-sort of update-he is still at ER

he was under the bed when i tested his +11
    he was shivering and rubbing his eyes too much....
    i waited to give insulin and fed him before going to ER
    ER is only about 15 blocks away....
    his bp reading was 156 and 164 (the nurse could only take 2 readings)....he is shaking...since they have so many emergencies...they have kept him there
    they will do bloodwork and urinalysis....they will check his eyes (take a look at the retina)....i asked to check his ears too...
    the ER vet doesn't think for now that his bp is high considering he is at the vet....i gave her the info on the previous readings i did at home...they have the complete list of all his meds...i showed the bp monitor and she sort of didn't wanna do a comparison....
    they will call me when results are in for me to pick him up and to get full report on what needs to be done...
    i'm concerned he got the insulin and he had his first breffis...no phenobarbital and other meds as of yet....also he has no food...i guess with his stress level his BG will be high....his ears were warm to touch which i mentioned to vet....

anything i should be asking vet when i go back?

as you can imagine i'm pretty upset...vet says i'm doing a good job with him....

15. mybuddybinks

mybuddybinks Well-Known Member

we're thinking of you and hoping for the best...

celi & binks

16. Linda and Bear Man

(((Claudia))) You are doing a good job with him. Will they do just a urinalysis, or will they take a sterile urine specimen and send it out for a culture and sensitivity test? This would test for a urinary tract infection. I have no idea if this is part of what is going on with him or not, but just find out which test they did. What do they think causes the shivering? Is his temperature normal? Ask if they think he needs any medication for pain, or an injection for nausea (Cerenia). Discuss whether he needs medication for his blood pressure. Will they be monitoring his BG there? (((Rocket))) please feel better soon.

17. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

I would make sure they rule out any thyroid-related issues.

18. Michelle and Mannie (GA)

Michelle and Mannie (GA) Well-Known Member

You will be in our thoughts - be better Rocket!

19. Rocket & his Mom

the nurse couldn't take his temp only the two bp readings....i will ask if they took his temp when i get back...
    he takes ondansetron for his nausea....vet was already saying that unless something is wrong with his eyes (retina) that she hesitates giving norvasc as it can cause further kidney problems or something like that....i'm trying to remember...they never said anything about monitoring his BG at all....they sort of dismiss the fact that he is on a LOW insulin dose and he was ONLY 7.4 mmol (133) this morning....he will need his fluids when i bring him home....she never said anything on the shivering until she could examine him...he was sort of put in a cage until they get to him...that was my understanding...i sort of hesitated but left him there....this is what i hate about ER places.....i could hear a dog crying in the back...i know they have their more urgent cases....but in the 2 hrs we were there no one else showed up just us....they said that me staying there would not speed things up for him as they needed to tend to their more urgent patients...

20. Rocket & his Mom

will they have to sedate him to check his eyes (retina)? Rocket's vet always takes him to the back so i never see what they do to him....they never let me be there...and at the ER i obviously won't be present while they examine him....so just wondering....

21. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

I just had Gizmo in for his annual check up. The vet checked his eyes with an opthalmascope with me standing there. Unless they have to do something far more complicated, I doubt that it will require sedation.

22. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

wishing Rocket the best more healing vines his way and Do Lou has had his eyes looked at more then once since he is almost blind and they have never sedated him for this

23. Linda and Bear Man

They shouldn't have to sedate him to look in the back of his eyes, but if he will not sit still at all, maybe they will. I would ask about the risk of sedation vs the benefit of the test.

Ondansetron is good for nausea. When my CP litties have been in flares they needed more, and it is OK to give a Cerenia injection in addition to the ondansetron. If they give it, ask if they will send you home with one or two other syringes for him. It can only be given for a max of 5 days, is given once daily, and usually is done by a vet (here in Canada). It does sting quite badly.

The care you are describing is part of the upsetting thing about being at the ER. I had the same experience with waiting, and the cat being in a cage. They give good care, but not much nurturing.

Do they have him on IV fluids? That might be helpful for a kidney cat.

I don't know about the norvasc issue. I have to leave that one to the judgement of the vet. As WCF said the other day, there is danger in BP going too low as well.

24. Rocket & his Mom

i only ask about sedation cause he is very DIFFICULT to handle at the vet's....the nurse at the ER could not even take his heart rate as he wouldn't let her near him....that was after his bp reading....so not sure how they examine him when they take him to the back....his reg vet does the same thing...i never see what they do to him....they never let me be there....i have asked but i always get the same reply "he will do better without you there and we will be able to check him more thorough"

25. Linda and Bear Man

The vet probably has an assistant scruff him or hold him very securely. It doesn't harm the cat or cause any pain, but owners hate to see that. My vet lets me see a lot of stuff being done, but is also more comfortable taking the cat in the back where they can restrain him without me cringing. If they can hold his head still, they will be able to see into his eyes.

26. Rocket & his Mom

they said it would be roughly 2 hrs....never mentioned he would be on iv fluids at all....no BG checks either....no food....nothing...just blood work, urine test and them checking him....had i known it was gonna take this long (i left with him shortly after 5:30 am, now 8:30 am)...i would have given him his subq before going to the ER....

they see him cranky....and walking normal....alert....shivering a bit (probably cause he is nervous...i told them he is like that at the vet's).....so he will not be a priority....

will ask regarding his thyroid....i know his last lab report showed high cholesterol but not his thyroid....

will ask on the Cerenia too....

his appetite was good....what's prompted me to take him in is the constant rubbing (and by rubbing i mean hard rubbing) of his eyes, the shivering, the hiding, the bp readings at home.....

getting more anxious as time goes by

27. Frip&Grip

Frip&Grip Member

(((Claudia and Rocket))) Lots of hugs and healing vines and prayers for you and Rocket. :YMHUG:

28. Karrie and Maverick

[​IMG]

29. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

Laurie and Mr Tinkles Well-Known Member

(((Claudia)))
    I'm sorry Rocket isn't feeling well. I hope they examine him soon and can give you some answers.

30. Barb and Tori

Barb and Tori Well-Known Member

Sending many prayers for Rocket and you. I know how scared you must feel . Hang in there.

31. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Claudia: we are so sorry Rocket has not improved and that you had to take him to the ER. Our thoughts are with you....wish we could all be there to give you a personal hug instead of a virtual one. We will all be anxious to hear how he is doing. Sending snowflakes and healing vines.

Attached Files:

32. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

Oh (((((((Claudia-Rocket))))))) Sending Giant Green Healing Vines to our sweet Rocket Man and Prayers for his quick recovery!
    I will be thinking of you & Rocket All Day--Please update when you can--Giant HUgs from us-Our hearts are with you--Hope Rocket will be home by tonite!!

33. WCF and Meowzi

WCF and Meowzi Well-Known Member

shivering - he hasn't had a history of anemia before, has he? i'm on laptop, having difficulty opening your labs link.

34. mybuddybinks

hang in there, kiddo!!

35. Perry and Sooty

Perry and Sooty Well-Known Member

Thinking of you - be strong - whatever comes to pass, take comfort that you are doing all that you can for Rocket... everyone here is rooting for you guys...

36. Ele & Blackie (GA)

Ele & Blackie (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm sending healing vines, snowflakes and many prayers for you and Rocket this morning. I hope you'll find out soon what's going on and that you can treat it quickly. (((((Claudia))))

37. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

Re: 1/1 Rocket AMPS 133-he is HOME!

We are so HAPPY to hear this News--Hope he is better--Update us later-Just HUG your furbaby & tell Him we are all rooting for him to be Well!! Lubs you Rocket!!!

38. Deb & Spot

Deb & Spot Well-Known Member

Glad he is home. Update us when you get a chance. Sending white lights and healing vines to Rocket (((Claudia)))

39. Rocket & his Mom

we are home!

all that for nothing....i'm mad at them!
    they did NOT take his temp....they said he was too cranky
    this is what the report says (the short version)
    "continued bp readings at home recommended and follow up with reg vet in 5 days or sooner. physical examination revealed normal vital signs, a soft heart murmur, normal breathing sounds no abdominal pain but consistent discomfort over the lower back and hips. eye exam shows normal eye pressures and no evidence of retinal detachment. ear exam is normal. bloodwork shows mild increase in kidney enzymes and a LOW WBC. The significance of the white blood cell count change is uncertain-recheching with daytime clinic in 5-7 days recommended. A trial pain relied medication is recommended"

i'm happy with that but mad that they didn't do everything else i asked the vet over the phone when she called to come pick him up....i was asking questions and she was sort of ignoring me....paying them big bucks for a whole lot of nothing....i'm not happy with that part....she dismissed so many questions i had for her....i know she is only ER but if i'm paying over $600 i'd expect them to at least give me more answers....and them not taking the temp really pissed me off.....sorry i'm venting...

they wanted me to bring him daily to the hospital for them to inject (until Tuesday when things go back to normal hrs) to give Buprenorphine....as she advised Tramadol (but he has had bad reactions to it in the past)....so i said NO to both...

i'm at peace and ease with the eyes and his bp for now....don't know anything on the Bupre....

lab report

WBC 4.5 (5.5-19.5)
    LYM 0.7 (1-7)
    HCT 34.2 (25-45)...SO NO ANEMIA
    MCV 45.3 (39-50)
    RDWa 36.1 (20-35)....DON'T KNOW WHAT THIS IS
    HGB 12.5 (8-15)
    MCHC 36.5 (31-38.5)
    MCH 16.5 (12.5-17.5)
    RBC 7.55 (5-11)

when i have more time i will update his lab report tab....

K+ 4.4 (3.7-5.8)

i know i need to translate the rest of the lab report...will do when i have some time....

he is really restless....gave the pheno, zantac, ondansetron, subq.....all on board....hopefully he will settle soon....spoke too soon...he is now under the bed....with all meds on board and his eyes being dilated....i will let him be....

not much of an appetite....checked his BG +4.75 was 104.4

his eyes are dilated pretty bad....no sedation required....

will follow up with his reg vet on Tuesday and see what the plan is....

i asked about Adequan...she seemed not to know much on that...so she said NO....they need to send to another lab to check for thyroid...and the pee...i brought them free catch urine and they had to do a cysto....

40. Ele & Blackie (GA)

I'm very glad Rocket is home and that they didn't find anything scary! I'm with you on ER vet's though - they charge a lot and don't do what we want. Do you have a heating pad you could put under a towel for Rocket? It might help with the arthritic pain. They could have given you oral Bup, but I don't know if that is something you should do. I hope Rocket will settle in back home and feel better soon. Sending eating and healing vines to Rocket. Feel better! :YMHUG: :YMHUG:

41. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

RDW is Red cell Distribution Width. It's a test for anemia. It's used in relation to the MCV and MCHC values. It can also be an artifact if the other values are within normal range.

42. Linda and Bear Man

I'm glad he is home, and that he got a pretty good report, all things considered. It is so frustrating dealing with an ER, but in some respects it may have been good, as they may have charged you more for some tests that aren't urgent, and can be done by your vet next week. They are right about the cysto - no way they can use free catch urine for a culture. The main thing is that there is nothing seriously wrong right now, that his BP and retina situation is under control, that there is no anemia, that vital signs are good.

It looks like you may have to look into something for arthritis pain down the road. For now, let him recover from the vet visit, and YOU can relax a bit now, knowing that he is safe. (((Claudia))). Maybe make him a bit of a nest with some warm towels from the dryer. (((Rocket))).

43. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

so happy he is home and sorry they did not do all the things you wanted them too I know that has to be so frustrating sending more healing vines his way to keep getting better ((((Claudia & Rocket))))))

44. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

I'm glad Rocket is home and that they didn't find anything urgent. Linda always has such a helpful way of looking at things. I agree with her that maybe it's good that they didn't do tests that they didn't think were necessary, because you will pay much less for the same tests at your regular vet.

45. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

We're very happy Rocket is back home and his bp is good. I hope you can rest a little easier, Claudia, but you absolutely did the right thing in taking him in. I can't believe a vet that doesn't check the temp....that is standard in any clinic we've been in and always the first thing they do. You wonder about their skills if they can't take the temp of a cat who doesn't feel well.....

46. Frip&Grip

Frip&Grip Member

I'm glad Rocket is home and they didn't find anything bad or urgent... and his bp and eyes are OK (that is what you were worried about) :smile: Looks like he may need something for arthritis pain.

Hope Rocket can relax now and you too.. :YMHUG:

47. Mowgli and Keri

Mowgli and Keri Member

Hi Claudia,
    I just got your message, as I worked till 8am...I am so sorry to read all that has been happening with you and poor baby rocket! I will pray for Tuesday to come quickly because I like you and the others get so FRUSTRATED with ER vets where we pay an arm and a leg, and don't get much help..
    I am sending MANY HUGS and THOUGHTS to you two and will pray that all is relatively calm around there for you both..
    NOT an ideal way to bring in the new year, BUT I am VERY happy Rocket is at home with you!!

48. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Claudia & Rocket. We are so glad to hear that Rocket is home and that the conditions you were most worried about are not present. Now you just have to try to relax and let Rocket rest in a nice, warm nest (Linda's suggestion of towels hot from the dryer is a good one), surrounded by your love. I am really sorry that the day was such a trauma for you. But it is over now. On Tuesday you will be able to get more answers to your questions. Until then, it's a good time for Rocket (and you) to rest.

Many hugs,

Ella & Rusty

49. Rocket & his Mom

Re: 1/1 Rocket AMPS 133-NOT EATING

he hasn't eaten really all day...nibbled here and there but nothing worth noting...been opening cans like crazy and nothing....he is still shaky...ER vet said the shakiness could mean pain...but not having been sent home with any meds...i'm at a loss

1/2 hr before pmps

don't know what to do

perhaps if not eating still i may have to skip shot

tried feeding at +10.5 nothing....licked twice then was not interested....not sure if it's cause the zantac was given late and so was the ondansetron...hard to say...usually when we get back from vet he is really hungry and happy to be home then settles in and sleeps it off....

not so this time around....still worried sick....

50. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Give the meds some time to really kick in. Have you tried baby food? I would just keep offering food.

If you need to skip the shot or give a small, token dose, that's OK.

51. Rocket & his Mom

i may have to give him food with gravy and even if i skip the dose tonight....he is not interested in anything....if need be i will syringe feed him some Clinicare....

meds were late by 3 hrs almost....soon after we got home meds were given.... :sad:

52. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

(((Claudia))) (((Rocket))) my heart & head are with you :YMSIGH:
    I dunno if this will help.. try these ideas Not Eating

53. Rocket & his Mom

Re: 1/1 Rocket PMPS 108-ate tiny bit

since he is not reliable he will eat much tonight i opted to give him less than 0.25u...not sure how much it was but closer to the zero mark....
    ate only 2 tsp of baby food....
    the concern i have is that he is constantly shaking...almost parkinsons like symptoms....ER vet said it could be from pain....so this sucks cause i tried rubbing rescue remedy to sooth him....not working....tried catnip....not working....the feliway disufer does not work on him....makes him howl....

warming up food...not working....tuna water...no longer working....chicken broth....has never worked....bonito flakes...don't work on him...never have....parmesan cheese...licks it but leaves the food behind....actual chicken...doesn't really work....trust me....i know him and when he does go thru the not eating spells with his CRF....i've tried every trick out there....

so last thing to do...is mix reg food and clinicare and syringe feed....

even not adding the aluminum hydroxide to his food today as he has not been eating........

as i know he will go soon under the bed...i put his heated bed there with some of his blankets.....

i'm increasingly concerned....main goal..to get him to eat....disturbing...the constant shaking....i'm sooooo upset....this is toooo much to take.....and have to put brave face to my folks (who are here until Tues afternoon) and DH.....sooooo hard to do....i feel like CRYING..............soooo tired and overwhelmed....been up since 4 am (went to bed at 2 am) so 2 hr sleep and not straight thru.....no nap this aft as we had to go to the in-laws...........oh soooooooo overwhelmed..............

please keep me and Rocket in your prayers....i feel like i'm falling apart.........short of collapsing..... :sad: :cry:

54. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Re: 1/1 Rocket PMPS 108-ate tiny bit-prayers much appreciate

Calming prayers for you Claudia (((Claudia))), and eating [​IMG] vines being sent to Rocket.

55. Rocket & his Mom

+0.5 phenobarbital and zantac have been given
    fed him 1 tsp baby food mixed in some liver dust...then gave 1/2 tsp of his reg food....assist feeding him a lil bit at a time....like feeding a baby....i will try to give more a lil later........he won't eat out of his bowl for now....so spoon feeding is ok with me....so long as he eats....

i'm drained....will take a half hr nap....will try

56. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

(((Claudia & Rocket))) I agree with everyone about it being good that there wasn't any big issue that came out of this ER visit. I hope that gives you a little peace of mind for tonight.....I hope that Rocket settles down and that both of you will have a restful night. Good results on the reports are so great to see.....hopefully, your regular vet will look into things too for you....

57. Ele & Blackie (GA)

I'm so sorry, ((((Claudia)))). I tried Forti-flora tonight with Blackie and he ate all his food with a little sprinkled on it. But I also know that when they don't want to eat it doesn't matter what you try. So keep assist feeding and see how he is in the morning. Is there anyway you can call the ER vet in the morning and pick up some pain meds? Buprenex can be given orally. Sending many healing vines and prayers for Rocket and you. ((((Claudia)))) & ((((Rocket))))

58. mybuddybinks

just checking in to let you know our thoughts and hearts are still with you and the Rocket-Man.

celi & binks

59. Karrie and Maverick

I wouldn't use fortiflora with a possibly sick cat from what I've read recently.

Claudia I'm sending hugs and keeping you two in my thoughts. I did just google more on shivering and pain. Is he peeing normally? Of the sites where I looked up shivering and pain kidney stones seemed to pop up a lot. I know you have the bases covered for fever/CRF/Hypo's and blood pressure.

You are an amazing mom to Rocket and are doing everything you can. I can't believe that ER place sent you home without pain meds or checking his temp. Can you call them back for some buprenorphine until the holiday is over?

Hang in there.

60. Perry and Sooty

Perry and Sooty Well-Known Member

Sending you all our best thoughts - hang in there for Rocket - it is a good thing you are getting him to eat something and the Clinicare must be helping w/ hydration. Saw the suggestion to try and get some pain meds just in case - so I hope that is possible to try tonight.

Hope you will feel a little better after a nap - Rocket needs his bean on her feet, to help him through this! Strength to you, Claudia!

61. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Positive thoughts and many prayers for a good night tonight and a better day tomorrow. (((((((Claudia & Rocket)))))))

Ella & Rusty

62. Rocket & his Mom

ER vet said she would not send me home to administer the buprenorphine....she only had injection form and being a morphine type drug she is NOT lisenced to give me the stuff to do at home...she said it has to be given every 8 hrs so meaning i would have to bring Rocket every 8 hrs to the ER to get the shot....stupid....Tramadol was the other pain med....he does not do well on that...from past experience....so no meds to help him....peeing fine....nothing showed up in the urine test (no infection)....stones have crossed my mind....all he seems to be in pain right now seems the arthritis....does not sleep hunched over....stretched to the side....relaxed but shivering like....

i'm more stressed out than ever.....he is now under the bed.....now +1.5....have not tested....will try assist feeding in 15 mins....trying for him to sleep off the pheno.....at least i know that under the bed he is now warm....his heated bed is there....and so are his other blankies....

i'm sooo upset....the stupid ER vet did not have a clue that cats can go on remission from diabetes...she seemed shocked when i told her.....where the F do they go to school i wonder?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! grr_red

63. carolynandlatte

carolynandlatte Well-Known Member

Hi Claudia,
    Im sorry to hear you needed to bring Rocket to the ER today. I hope you will soon be able to see your regular vet and get some answers about the shaking. If I read correctly (read earlier in the day), they did offer to administer some bupe for pain if you brought him in. If you think this is pain related, would you consider doing this?

Im glad you are skilled with syringe feeding and know when to use it. It got Latte over more humps than I can count. I hope it will help Rocket. If you have not tried to open some food and feed Rocket directly from the can, that might be an option. I have no idea why, but for some reason that would sometimes work with Latte. I moved the can around because I was always scared of her cutting her mouth, but that never happened.

I understand how exhausted you are. I hope you can get some rest. You need it to care for Rocket, right!
    IMHO, I wouldnt worry so much about the insulin. Its most important to get food in Rocket, keep him comfortable, and for both of you to rest.
    :YMHUG:

64. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

I'm thinking of you and Rocket and sending positive thoughts.

65. Rocket & his Mom

she didn't even guarantee it would work...useless vet....she rushed the consult over the phone only to tell me he was ready for pick up....told me of that injection and said could be every 6 to 8 hrs to bring him in the entire weekend and Monday.....she told me there are lots of side effects....what stopped me from doing that is the stress of taking him every 6 to 8 hrs.....and financially....

now i'm really in tears....i don't know what to do....

Comet had Tramadol a lil while back and i have some left overs....not sure if i should try to give him that or even call the vet to get the Rx for that.....i don't know....he stopped eating when he was given the Tramadol and it was an awful experience....

i don't know.........don't know anymore.........

66. MJ+Donovan

MJ+Donovan Well-Known Member

I've been away from the PC most of the day, and am now trying to catch up on condos.
    So sorry to hear about your bad experience. Praying for strength for you and comfort for Rocket.

MJ&Donovan

67. Cheryl & Whiskers (GA)

Cheryl & Whiskers (GA) Member

Hi Claudia & Rocket!

I'm so sorry that Rocket is now feeling well. I think Carolyn may have a good suggestion
    "If I read correctly (read earlier in the day), they did offer to administer some bupe for pain if you brought him in. If you think this is pain related, would you consider doing this?"

Also the oral Bupe pain med can be given by you at home, I'm not sure what is the issue there with the ER vet, perhaps you can call and ask again for the oral. I have given Whiskers the oral Bupe on two differant occasions, I'm not sure if the vet filled it or if they called it into the local pharmacy.

Sending prayers and positive thoughts for a speedy recovery!

68. Cheryl & Whiskers (GA)

Hi Claudia,

Just read your most recent post. Checking google it appears that buprenorphine (oral) (byoo pre NOR feen) can be used by humans as well, so the ER vet should be able to call it into the local pharmacy. Do you have walgreens there. They are open on holidays some 24hours. I hope the ER vet would at least consider the oral.

69. WCF and Meowzi

oral buprenex and injectible buprenex are one and the same.

70. carolynandlatte

Claudia,
    The bupe is going to likely make Rocket a little spacey and sleepy. IF it is pain related, it should help. Maybe it would be worth a trip to get the injection so if he is in pain it will be reduced and then both of you can get some rest. Rest is key to healing. It sounds like you could both use it. I know I would under your circumstances. But, I also understand how hard it is ...adrenelin, fear, anger, sadness, etc. If it doesnt do anything, then you know not to go that route anymore.

If you choose to try it, maybe call in advance for a 'good time', so you dont have to wait. I could never get my vet to give me cerenia injections to go home (but they did give me lots of bupe injectible :roll: ), so I had to bring Latte in for those from time to time. By calling ahead we scheduled a time that was as stress free as possible for everyone. I also made it clear she did not need an exam, so we only paid for the medicine (and cost to inject it). Since Rocket was just seen there today, they may not charge you for anything more than the medicine.

BUpe has been hard to come by lately and is very expensive because of it. That may be part of why the ER does not just give it out. It is also a controlled substance. Any other vet than the one that knew Latte and I so well would have never given it to me in injectible form.

I had a great fear of pain meds due to our metacam experience. Though I had a large stash of tramadol, I never used it. I was less fearful of bupe after hearing so many people's experiences with it in their cats.

Here is a link about bupe:
    http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/buprenorphine-buprenex/page1.aspx

And one for Tramadol:
    http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_tramadol.html
    *note- at the bottom of this page it offers a caution of using in animals with a history of seizures* That would be something to discuss further with the vet before giving the tramadol.

71. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

(((Claudia))) Hang in there, breathe......sending prayers for you and Rocket. Please eat for your bean, Rocket.

72. CD and BigMac

CD and BigMac Well-Known Member

Definitely sending you some prayers for Rocket. I hope his appetite will improve and he feels better.
    You are such a good momma bean to him. Sorry about all the trauma and waiting at the ER vet.

For my arthritic elderly civvie I use a warming pad (pet safe) under a cushiony bed for her.
    She seems to really love it and I think it relaxes her.

73. Rocket & his Mom

i typed a whole post to have it disappear

buprenex is different than buprenorphine....
    the one she mentioned was buprenorphine in injection form cause the special pharmacies are closed til Tues so the oral form they don't have on stock and the injection needs to be given by a vet...she is not lisenced to send me home with it...something to do with legal stuff

buprenex she never mentioned....my understanding is they're 2 diff meds

his reg vet said buprenex can be given for his pancreatitis flare ups....but was never Rx to him....reg vet mentioned Adequan....but hesitated to Rx it as the diabetes had come back and told me to deal with one thing at a time....

ER vet said that his belly seemed fine and only the lower back and hind legs seemed sore...she even said something about his kidneys being small....like i don't know that...and how would she know if no ultrasound was done....she prob thinks i'm stupid....that i don't know....who knows

i'm in Canada so no Walgreens

eta: fed him 1 tbsp of reg food and 1 tsp of baby food mixed together with liver dust....took me 1/2 hr to feed him that as he is under the bed....

74. Rocket & his Mom

never mind i just read it's the same drug

75. carolynandlatte

Buprenex is the brand name. Buprenorphine is generic. They are the same.
    http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/buprenorphine-buprenex/page1.aspx

Most people are given bupe for their cats in an oral form. THis needs to be compounded.
    Injection is straight . I gave injections to Latte the last few months of her life. As I said, most vets wont give it in that form. Some can and will. Canadian Laws may be differrent and more strict.

76. mybuddybinks

Re: 1/1 Rocket PMPS 108-prayers much appreciated

hey, claudia...my friend Lisa is here...she's a doctor...she just made some calls and found out there are Walmart pharmacies in calgary open tomorrow from 9am to 6pm...and something called "the Real Canadian Superstore" that has a pharmacy open tomorrow also.

does that help at all??

77. Cheryl & Whiskers (GA)

Makes sense now why the shot at the ER. Also understand the cost issue, the ER's are so expensive. Someone suggested no exam ask for just the shot if it is a pain issue. Should cost less.

You are doing the very best you can, just hang in there.

78. Rocket & his Mom

since it is a compounded drug to be given orally she said they use certain pharmacies....and they're closed...the two you menti'on are not compounding pharmacies....i even asked her if she could Rx it to where i get the Calcitriol for Rocket and she said that pharmacy was also closed....i checked and Scrippts is closed tomorrow....

laws in Canada are different....and she stressed the legal aspect of her not being able to send me home to do it myself.....so not sure why his reg vet had suggested the Adequan for me to inject him under the skin not intramascular....as i'm not a nurse...so i can't....but reg vet felt confident since i do insulin and subq at home the Adequan could work...when i asked for that to the ER vet she seemed to know nothing of Adequan....dismissed me asking her....

79. mybuddybinks

dang it! was hoping that might be helpful...

have you eaten anything, girl?

80. Rocket & his Mom

had some chips and coffee....not hungry at all....have not slept either....things are tense here at home me being on the computer....DH and dad watching hockey...mom in her room....so sucks that i can't even visit with them....have ignored them since we got back from the in-laws....

i love my folks but i wished they were back in their home so i can just deal with Rocket and not have that added stress of dealing with other people...i can always ignore DH....he is used to it

81. Cheryl & Whiskers (GA)

Funny! Your sense of humor it still intact. Try to hang in there and get some rest. Rest is important

82. WCF and Meowzi

I've heard of compounded buprenorphine, although I cannot for the life of me see why, unless it's a supply issue.

I'm using both the names buprenorphine and buprenex interchangably. The injectable buprenorphine that comes in a carpuject or ampule can also be given orally. We have used it both ways - same carpuject/ampule, draw out with syringe, either inject with same syringe, or remove the needle and give orally. Oral buprenex (which IS injectable buprenex) is sometimes dispensed in a non-sterile vial, by hospitals, from its original sterile ampule/carpuject. This should not be injected for the very obvious reason that it is no longer sterile.

There is another form of buprenorphine, called buprenorphine SR (sustained release) in the market. I am not familiar with that; my impression that it is fairly new (I could be wrong). What I've read says to inject it SQ, no mention of oral. I believe this can also be compounded. One of Meowzi's vets is not comfortable using SR (as opposed to the conventional buprenex) in cats; he was aware that some veterinarians had resorted to using that during the period when there was a shortage of the conventional buprenex in the market but he doesn't think it's been tested for safety and dosing in cats.

83. mybuddybinks

i don't eat when i'm upset either...

hoping with all my heart this gets resolved quickly...hate seeing you go through this.

84. WCF and Meowzi

she palpated his abdomen and felt them. http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/renal.html

my guess is it's not the injectable aspect, but that buprenex is a controlled substance that can be abused by humans.

85. Rocket & his Mom

Re: 1/1 Rocket PMPS 108-question

i fed another 1 TBSP of reg food with 1 tsp of baby food and liver dust...took me another 1/2 hr to do it...he doesn't want to come out from under the bed....so have not been able to test him for his BG

looking at his lab report...and i still have not translated to US #s...i see his Ca++ is HIGH....range is 2-2.95 mmol and he is 2.99 (sorry it's not translated)....he is getting cosequin....

could high Ca++ cause the shakyness in him? or am i looking at something that's not there?

also the ALB is 45 (high) range 22-44 G/L
    TP is 74 (range 54-82) G/L...this is not high but thought of adding it for you to see

ER vet said he did not seem to be in pain from a flare up of the pancreatitis....all she noted on the report was the arthritis....

would Adequan be better than Bupre?

sorry i asked more questions than just one!

my head is spinning....thinking i'm having a nightmare and will wake up soon...but i know that's not the case....

86. Karrie and Maverick

When I researched adequan for Maverick it wasn't something that worked right away. It isn't for pain. I remember there were five weekly shots and then once a month after if I recall correctly. I think he needs a pain med for the short term (or until you can get another diagnosis) but adequan is something you could consider for arthritis management.

87. WCF and Meowzi

2.99 mmol/L serum total calcium is 11.96 mg/dL

tanya's site mentions cosequin possibly raising blood pressure, but i do not recall reading any connection between hypercalcemia and cosequin.

i don't know, you may have to look it up. i've been dealing with a really bad headache all day and my head hurts too much to do any research tonight. anyway, from our experience, Meowzi has mild hypercalcemia (confirmed by ionized calcium levels). i'm not happy about that, but she doesn't have 'shakiness.' but that doesn't mean anything, as ECID. if you want to look it up, try animalhealth.msu.edu; under their endocrinology section (may be FAQ, i forget) - there is a section on calcium levels.

correct. there is a loading period. the frequency of shots and duration of loading period may vary by vet.

88. Rocket & his Mom

if he is having a pancreatitis flare up...let's assume that is what it is

can Tramadol get him thru until tuesday?

i am on the phone with the ER clinic to see if Tramadol can be given to me there rather than going to pharmacy

fed Rocket just now and he is shivering too much....and he burped and was gassy.....so perhaps it's a flare up.....but don't know if giving Tramadol will be ok until i take him in on tues to the vet.....

the bupre the quote they've given me it's extremely expensive and means taking him every 6 hrs to the ER to get injection......

89. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

It's most likely that the albumin levels are elevated due to Rocket being somewhat dehydrated. If the TP is fine, I wouldn't be concerned about the albumin levels.

The Ca level is of concern. I suspect the elevated Ca levels are due to the Calcitrol. A side effect of Calcitrol is elevated Ca levels. Symptoms of elevated calcium generally do not include shakiness. (I've not been able to find anything specifically about shaking and Ca levels. Ca is important in muscle contraction but that's as much of a relationship as I can find.) Did they happen to give you a phosphorus level? Calcium and phos usually change in relation to one another. There's info on Tonya's site on hypercalcemia. She mentions the relationship between low Ca and Calcitrol but she doesn't note that elevated Ca is a side effect of Calcitrol. You'd need to search other sites more specific to the side effects of the drug.

90. Rocket & his Mom

Re: 1/1 Rocket PMPS 108-question-HELP

Sienne,
    been busy trying to feed him that i have not translated the lab report to US #s

this is what it is as IS #s

CRE 241 (27-186 umol)
    PHOS 1.70 (1.09-2.74 mmol)
    BUN 25 (4-11 range mmol)

thoughts on the Tramadol?

he had not gotten his fluids when i took him in to the ER

91. Rocket & his Mom

heading off to the ER to pick up the Tramadol

i'm at a loss here.....

92. mybuddybinks

BUMP

93. carolynandlatte

Claudia,
    I posted above about tramadol:
    http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_tramadol.html]
    Considering Rockets history of seizures (which i dont know his history but you have it listed), it would be good to have a good consult with the vet before juts blindly giving it.
    Not trying to scare or confused. Just a big advocate of making informed decisions when it comes to medications

94. WCF and Meowzi

It may. Tramadol worked very well for PJ/Cagney, for pancreatitis I believe. but ECID.

but please ask the prescribing vet to check for interactions with all his other meds.
    http://www.drugs.com/drug-interactions/ ... -1474.html

95. WCF and Meowzi

i agree.

96. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Tramadol is processed primarily through the liver but it is also excreted through the kidneys. As a result, a decreased dose may be needed.

If you're going to talk to a vet, please discuss the elevated Ca level and the Calcitrol. You may need to reduce the Calcitrol dose.

97. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

i'm sorry Claudia, that you're going thru this,
    I know they're several beans watching for you, hang in there,
    and just wanted to say I'm hoping things pick up real soon for Rocket.

98. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

I'm certainly not expert on the medical issues here, but I remember the effect that tramadol had on Mowgli....I would be very cautious about giving insulin while he's on tramadol, as it does affect BG levels.

99. Rocket & his Mom

vet said no interaction with his current meds
    did not get concerned with the seizures
    even told me i could give the tramadol all 10 mgs for one pill at the same time as the other meds....but i won't.....i will give at 11 am/pm
    was only given 6 pills enough to wait to Tuesday
    as per the dose...i have empty gelcaps....wonder how much to give...she Rx 10 mgs which is one capsule

thoughts?

i need to give it here shortly....trying to time all his meds....and i could give it at 11:30.....now 11 pm

100. Rocket & his Mom

Re: 1/1 Rocket PMPS 108-question-HELP-tramadol info

yes Laurie...based on what Keri went thru with Mowgli i would not give insulin while he is on this tramadol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.