1/10 +6 56, +10 44. More reductions.

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Meya14, Jan 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Meya14

Meya14 Well-Known Member

So we've reduced Max from 7 units to 5.5 units in the past couple weeks due to low BS. I've been doing a lot of extra feedings as well cause I get nervous, so that is going to stop soon, and it looks like he'll need even less. I'm wondering if this happens to others who started high and flat, then reach a dose that actually lowers the BS, then suddenly need much less after a week or two - almost like there is a hump to get over.

Of course, I still think fixing his teeth is to thank. I'm actually now holding out a small sliver of hope a remission is possible.

Ann

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

All of a sudden, something snaps into place and the numbers turn green! I would urge you to follow the protocol and reduce the dose by 0.25u. Given Max's moving into lower numbers, getting tests during the PM cycle is even more important..

3. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Sometimes the trip down the dosing scale can be intense. It is possible that the dental is contributing to the numbers coming down.

4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Wow - Max is really stepping down quickly. :D Some people have noticed a big difference after dentals.

For night time checks, even getting a test before you go to bed or when you get up in the morning if it's an hour or so before shot time, will help fill in the picture of what is happening at night.

Here's a link to your last post. We like to include those so people can see what happened previously.

5. Meya14

Meya14 Well-Known Member

Sienne, I have very low vision, and with the current syringes I have I'm not going to be able to accurately dose at .25 increments. They are BD 30g 1/2" 0.3ml and do not have hash marks with 0.5 increments. Max runs away from me and squirms (lots of fur shots) if I use 29g or larger needles, so I gotta find something 30g that has easier marks to see. If anyone knows something that would work, and maybe a source (I already have to pull nails for the pharmacies around here to special order) it would be appreciated.

6. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I use the BD UltraFine II syringes with half unit marks. They are 31g. Take a look here and scroll down to the second set of images - I get the purple and yellow box ones. I prefer the 8mm length needles. The Ultrafine (not II) have shorter needles and also have the 1/2 unit marks.

7. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

You might want to check out some of the magnifiers that are available at craft stores. FWIW, sometimes, it's easier to not have glasses or a contact in when you're measuring a dose. You can get the syringe closer to your eye without the distortion of a corrective lens. If you do the latter, a digital caliper will help with consistent dosing.

8. Meya14

Meya14 Well-Known Member

Wendy, Thanks, I'm gonna see if they can get those rather than the BD I currently have been using. I like the shorter needles too. I also looked on amazon and they have some magnifying clips for syringes. Might order one of those as well. I feel like I'm too young to be carrying around magnifying glasses! Jeeze.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.