? 1/11 Fritz AM 311 Is it safe to give L-Lysine supplement

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by DebG, Jan 11, 2019.

1. DebG

DebG Well-Known Member

Morning L&L,
    Fritz is doing ok! He has black eye and ear drainage and the vets all look and say looks good. I have to admit that some of the time it is less drainage and that it happens to be when he's there.:arghh:
    I don't think it's ear mites I did treat his ears with Zymox seem to clear it up but comes right back.
    I did search the internet but read conflicting news, so I thought what better place to get honest info, so here I am.
    Would appreciate any feed back if it's safe and have you had good results.

Happy surfing kitties and hello to all my FD beans:):bighug:

2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Deb. It's good to hear from you. I know some people do give L-Lysine to their cats, but I'm not sure about the dose information. I hope it helps Fritz. Sending prayers.

DebG likes this.
  3. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

Deb, L-lysine is mostly used to combat/prevent herpes, which is a virus found in virtually every cat - some just never show signs of it. Pure L-lysine is safe to give, but if you are looking at some of the treats that are out there, check the list of ingredients. They are probably not diabetic friendly. Also be careful if you buy it as a supplement - sometimes they add other stuff. I give my cats about 1/5 of a 500 mg capsule a day (I put it in #4 gelcaps) as a preventative. When they had signs of a virus, I gave 1/2 capsule a day. I use these: https://www.amazon.com/Source-Naturals-L-Lysine-Essential-Supplement/dp/B0014H37K8?keywords=L-lysine&qid=1547242073&refinements=p_89:Source Naturals&rnid=2528832011&sr=8-10&ref=sr_1_10

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Hi Deb, good to hear from you. Sorry about Frtuz’s ears. L-lysine is pretty commonly given as an immune booster for cats. The shelter I worked at would add it to everyone’s food at first sign of an URI. 1/2 500 mg capsule AM and PM was the usual dosage. You can also buy just the powder. I gave it to civvie Theo (GA) when he got the sneezes.

DebG likes this.
  5. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

What was the DX for the ears? And how did he get a black eye?

Sounds like you are really busy from your post on my page. Good to see you and hope your world is good. :bighug:

6. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Deb - It is sooooooo nice to hear from you and Fritz. So glad that all is well (except ears) I've had cats with chronic nasal congestion and have tried L Lysine. From my understanding, it is only helpful if herpes virus is the reason

Barbara & Uncle (GA) likes this.
  7. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

Barbara & Uncle (GA) Well-Known Member

I was able to help Uncle's little sister clear up with her Feline herpes of the eye using L-Lysine. Same dose as Wendy mentioned.
    It also seemed to help prevent associated reverse sneezing issues which probably as well.
    Hope all is well with you otherwise :bighug::bighug::bighug: