? 1/11 Rusty AMPS 388(!), +5.5 258, +9 291, PMPS 312, +4.5 201; my 8th Anniversary(!!)

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA), Jan 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Yesterday

Good Morning L&LL,

Today is a milestone, of sorts: Rusty has the highest number he's ever had; and today is my 8th anniversary on the FDMB. I have made so many good friends here. I have received so much help. I have learned so much. I am still in awe of this place. Thank you all, and thank your kitties, too!

AMPS is steroid-influenced, of course, but it is still hard to look at that number! This is the 4th Levemir shot of the 6-shots (3 days) on this dose (0.25U). I'm considering upping the dose tonight to 0.5U and not waiting any longer for the present dose to "settle in". Comments and advice would be welcome. Rusty's sinuses are so much better, so it is all worth it. But I don't want him stuck in the high numbers and above renal threshold.

Rain here and 43 degrees F. this morning. It's a mess outside. On top of the rain, which is supposed to last through tomorrow, we are going to have lots of snow this weekend. The x-c ski scheduled for tomorrow has been postponed.

Wishing everyone a good day and sending vines to all kitties and beans in need.

2. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Happy 8th anniversary!!!:bighug::bighug::bighug:

Glad the steroids are making a real difference for Rusty, even if it means he needs a bit more insulin.:)

3. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

Alicia & Maggie (GA) Well-Known Member

Happy 8th! That is an alarming BG, but glad the steroid is helping Rusty.

4. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

Glad the steroids are helping Rusty breath better. He’s a new cat with the steroids on board and will likely have very different cycles then your use to. I would not try to chase the high numbers as he’s been hitting blue. If it were me I’d give this dose the 6 cycles before increasing. Hang in there Ella.

5. Anne & Zener GA

Anne & Zener GA Well-Known Member

Happy Anniversary! We are glad to have met you and so many other wonderful crazy cat people here, too. :bighug: :bighug: :bighug: UGH on that AMPS but like you said, the steroids are worth it. When we started Zener on steroids, his dose doubled from about 1.25 to 2.5. UGH on your weather, too.
    Liz

6. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Thanks, Karen. This is what I needed to hear!

7. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

Myagi (GA) and Heidi Well-Known Member

8 years is inspirational! Thank you for sharing your heart and your journey. :bighug::bighug: I'm glad the steroids are helping Rusty - remember the patience you all teach us newbies. :bighug:
    0411761b5fa0b07427abbfb8f78ab34e--white-cats-white-fur.jpg

8. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

9. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

I don't have any FD/steroid experience, but as ugly as that number is, it is so great to hear he is breathing better! You'll get the dose figured out. Is his appy better? Between the steroid and being able to breath, maybe he'll chow down more.

Happy Anniversary! I know it's bittersweet, but this place really is something special.

10. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Appetite is pretty good, but he's still losing weight. Thanks, Amy, for keeping tabs on the boy!

11. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Happy Anniversary. I know it's hard to see those high numbers, but at least you know what is causing them. You'll find a good dose soon. :bighug:

12. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

Happy 8th Anniversary!
    I would hold the dose for a couple more cycles.
    It's a shot every 5-6 weeks? Does that mean that his BG will come down as the steroid shot wears off closer to the 5/6 weeks?

13. Kako & Tux

Kako & Tux Well-Known Member

:bighug:Happy 8th Anniversary Ella and Chef Rusty! :bighug:
    We are praying for you. :):cat:

14. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Happy Annifursary Ella and Edward! :bighug::bighug: You've been a great teacher to many of us here.

The AMPS is rather unbecoming, but he is seeing blues most cycles. I wonder if he's bouncing from the drop from high numbes. Not that you could "feed the curve" with Mr. Grazer.:rolleyes:

15. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

Happy annifursary, Ella and Edward!

It is very strange to see pink, and even yellow, on Rusty's spreadsheet. But that's what steroids do. I'm glad it's helping him so much. That makes it all worth it. Sounds like it's helping his appetite, too.

I think I would wait for the six cycles to play out before raising the dose, but that's just me. Certainly, you've been at this long enough to know what you're doing.

16. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

That's what I've decided to do. Tomorrow PM I'll raise the dose. And I'm afraid I don't really know what I'm doing! Rusty has always had good cycles (until recently). We had dosing "adventures" with Stu, but he had numerous health issues and that was a long time ago.

17. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

I guess throwing steroids into the mix does put you into uncharted territory. Also, remember that Rusty is not used to high numbers, either, so they may affect the way he feels. I'm sure you'll find the right dose, even if it takes a little experimenting.

18. Susan&Felix(GA)

Susan&Felix(GA) Well-Known Member

So glad Rusty is feeling more comfortable. Hope the numbers start looking better so you can feel more comfortable, too!

19. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

Happy Anniversary, Ella!

The community is lucky to have you, I will never forget your kindness and generosity to me when I first joined. :bighug:

You and Rusty put a smile on people's faces with all of your parties and fancy menus and lagoon tending. ;)

The steroid adventure will sort out and Rusty will be back tending to the lagoon, I have no doubt. :bighug:

20. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Thanks, everyone, for the words of encouragement and advice. Tomorrow morning we'll finish out the cycle on this dose and probably increase in the evening (or hold the dose until Sat. morning, since I can monitor better in the daytime).

Poor Rusty got stuck in our "mud" room tonight. Edward took some recyclables out there and did not notice that Rusty followed him. About an hour later I came downstairs to hold Rusty's bowl and heard this distant meow. Rusty dove into his food and we all watched TV while he finished everything in his bowl.

His sinuses continue to be good. We are about to turn in. Rusty is curled up in his little bed in my study, waiting for me to finish this report.

Wishing all a good night.

21. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

@Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Happy Annifursary to you and Edward! You’ve been such a wonderful help to all, especially us! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

FBAE3ECB-A0E3-485A-BB6C-AAB254485EBA.jpeg

22. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Oh, Tobey, thank you for this beautiful card. You are such a handsome guy, my Other Best Boy!

Marje and Gracie likes this.
  23. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

Happy anniversary!! It's been great knowing you, thank you very much for your friendship and help

24. AZJenks

AZJenks Well-Known Member

Happy Anniversary!

Sending get better soon wishes so Rusty can get off those stinky steroids and get back to doing what he does best, patrolling the lagoon!

25. Kathy and TiTi

Kathy and TiTi Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.