1/11 Yosh amps 495 +3 469 +6.5 431

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Stressedcatmom, Jan 11, 2020.

1. Stressedcatmom

Stressedcatmom Well-Known Member

Hmmm. Switched to Lev last night. Maybe 5.25 was a little small. I gave a fatter (probably 5.5 this am). Should I stick with 5.5? Can I increase sooner than 6 cycles? He saw some blues on Lantus recently, I don’t want him to stay high for long.

Home to monitor today and tomo. Back to wk M-Th where I’m gone during am cycle.

He didn’t scream bloody murder when I gave him the shot this am, so that is a plus (knock on wood). Like I said, the Lantus shots were starting to bother him big time. So I feel better about the switch (knock on wood)

Happy caturday!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
  2. Sonia & Leo

Sonia & Leo Well-Known Member

Have a great day Rosa!! Continued good luck vines for the switch to Lev!!!

Stressedcatmom likes this.
  3. Stressedcatmom

You too! Thank you!! I’m Jen, by the way. I probably should put that in my signature!

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I'm tagging our Acro expert - @Wendy&Neko

Remember, that with a switch in insulin, the depot for the Lev needs to form. Every depot type of insulin has it's own individual depot. the Lantus depot is being depleted and the Lev depot needs to form. You might not see a great response until the depot is in place.

Chances are that Wendy will suggest that. you fast track the dose but let's see what she has to say.

5. Stressedcatmom

Okay. Thank you for the explanation. I bother poor Wendy so much!

Sienne and Gabby (GA) likes this.
  6. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Agree there. The lantus needs to drain off. The lev needs to build its depot yet. You might see some high numbers until both things happen. Hold tight with the lev for a few cycles.

Yoshi will be okay, I know it's hard but this is when the patience pants are needed. You want to start off correctly, then adjust when needed. Right now you don't know which one is doing how much.

Hang in.

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  7. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

No you don’t. :bighug: Happy to help, especially the acros. Been out all day on some training, so just seeing this now.

Sienne is right, I am going to suggest a fast track. Typically if kitty is going to respond to respond strongly to the insulin change, it will be in the first couple cycles. You shot 5.25 again tonight, it you don’t see yellow by the AM, I would go up to 6 units. Why 6 you ask? For one, it’s on the line. :p Second, over 5 units we go up by 1/2 unit, even if seeing blue. Under 5 units we go up by .5 units if just over 300 nadirs. So, I think going up 0.75 would be safe, and easier to measure. Plus you have a couple cycles to monitor before going back to work. I don’t want Yoshi him lingering high.

One caveat, he is probably still bouncing from Thursday night, might come down tomorrow night. Only increase if you can monitor.

8. Crista & Ming

Crista & Ming Well-Known Member

Good luck with the increase, Yoshi and Jennifer!

9. Stressedcatmom

Of course I saw this after his am shot today. He’s been in the pinks. Im thinking I should increase to 5.5 or 5.75 tonight since I start wk tomo? Or should I do 6 @Wendy&Neko? I wish I didn’t have to work so I could just stare at him all day. I’ll have a long weekend next weekend because of MLK next Monday (off fri-mon).

10. Stressedcatmom

Thanks. I totally missed Wendy’s message though. :banghead:

11. Wendy&Neko

I think 6 is still safe, he was getting over that on Lantus and most kitties end up close to the same dose of Levemir. In other words, I think 6 is still not enough, but a good jumping off point.

12. Wendy&Neko

Sorry, west coaster didn’t get on boards until late for you.

13. Stressedcatmom

No problem! I should’ve checked it last night!

BTW, I got in a Fdmb rabbit hole today and was reading up on you and Neko’s journey. Thank you so much for taking the place of queen acro mom. I cried like 3x! What a beautiful life you gave such a sweet babe, and now Neko (and you) are helping acros all over the world :bighug:

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
  14. Stressedcatmom

I might be too chicken to increase to 6 tonight. He’s at 300 +11.5 @Wendy&Neko

I’m going to test in a half hour even though he’s singing the song of his people and knocked over MY tuna salad when I opened the fridge.

Crista & Ming likes this.
  15. Wendy&Neko

Remember, with Lev, you often have nadirs around preshot. A 300 nadir is nothing to write home about. Gotta get used to shooting lower. He'll go up for four hours or so after the shot.

Neko taught me a lot, but I couldn't have done it without the people here. Just paying it back.

16. Stressedcatmom

He was 371 at pmps; I increased. Can they go up that quickly? I’ve never seen that before in a half hour.

He was growling. I hope he gets over this catitude with his shot. I think he has ptsd from the Lantus burning. I never had a needle problem w him before. I keep telling him “momma paid a lot of money to make it not burn”

Yes, I noticed he’s been nadaring later...but maybe he was lower earlier in between my spot checks and nadared earlier. Who knows.

I’m acro’ed out today. You should see the email I sent my vet with questions and the board’s findings on acros and the use of cab o_O

So with levimir, they go up for four hours after the shot? Should I even bother testing until +4?

17. Crista & Ming

Crista & Ming Well-Known Member

I would love to lol!

They sure can! Once back in the day, Ming took a large, diarrhea poop and his number went from pink to BLACK. Then went down again in an hour. Meters also have a larger variance in higher numbers so it might essentially be the same number.

18. Wendy&Neko

Depends on the cat and the cycle. If he is going up until preshot, you are good to wait. Neko’s onset was +5. It might be +4 for Yoshi, maybe a little early to say for sure. Neko sometimes nadired as late as +15, and would be going down into Preshot so I had to test earlier. But that was when she was on a dose getting better numbers and duration.

19. Sonia & Leo

Sonia & Leo Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry Jen!! I must have read Rosa's condo right before yours and still had her on my mind!! :rolleyes:

20. Stressedcatmom

No worries!!!