1/12 Tess AMPS

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Ann & Tess GA, Jan 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

OK, I'm getting the hang of this i think. Tess had 299 for her preshot this morning. :RAHCAT I'm getting the hang of testing too. How often and when is it best to test during the day? And when should I consider doing a complete curve? I'm guessing that her diet needs to be stabilized first and then settle in. For a week? 2 weeks? I've set up a separate log to track food and water.

We have an appointment with the new vet tomorrow morning, too. My assignment for today is to study up on Lantus so I know what's what when I talk to the vet. last week I was sort of blind sided with the diagnosis and accepted the old vets recommendations. They've already told me they don't have Lantus in stock, but can order it. What angered me with the other vet was that he wasn't up front about Vetsulin, that, and he didn't know what he was talking about for diet. We actually asked about it and he said Hills was a great food.

Do you know where I can find out the meaning of the topic icons above the composition window? I saw the info on the first 4, but what do the others mean and when is it appropriate to use them?

Thanks again fore all the care and help.

2. Ann & Tess GA

Hmmm.... I've updated Tess's spreadsheet for today's AMPS, but the changes aren't showing up when I click the link. If I go to the bookmark for Google Docs in my browser they are there, just not when I click the link in my signature. Need to figure this one out. I'm going to ask about this in the Tech forum.

3. Ann & Tess GA

Now they are there, just tried to check too soon I guess.

4. Spacey & Ella

Spacey & Ella Member

Hi Ann,

I think that you should do a curve once a week as long as Tess isn't regulated. As I understood it's possible to do a curve on different day's.
    For instance:
    Monday: check @ +3, +7, +11
    Tuesday: check @ +4, +6, +8
    Just to give you an idea.

I myself check as often as I can and do couples of curves. That's because Spacey is not regulated yet and has an infection and acts very intense on little changes.
    The day after tomorrow I'm going to change her to Lantus (I hope) and then I'm goin to do curve's again. To figure out her nadir, onset and so on. I'm guessing that changes with the new insulin as well and everything starts all over again.

I certainly would check if you feel your cat is acting other than normal.
    You know.. it really depends on your cat, her behavior and reaction on the insulin and so on.

5. Ann & Tess GA

I've been trying to do at least 1 maybe 2 tests between the preshot tests, varying when i do them. she's actually just about due for one now.

Originally she had been scheduled for a curve test at the vet after 2 weeks. I just don't know if it is too soon in her treatment to see accurate results. I'll see whst the new vet has to say tomorrow.

I've been following all the posts here, good luck on the dental work tomorrow.

6. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA Well-Known Member

Note to Ella - with apologies to Ann for interrupting her thread -

Ella, have you read up on lantus and gotten some guidance on a starting dose? I would suggest a half unit because of her changing health as you start up (dental) things will be in flux for a while. I just know that Beau started at .5u of lev and dropped like a rock on the 3rd shot. If you are testing, getting spot checks, after about 2-3 cycles you can increase the dose if she is not getting better numbers. I just a bit more cautious with starting doses. You should know that others have criticized me for that.

Things to be concerned about after the dental are infection and not eating combined with high BGs. It is a tooth extraction, right? I am assuming they will give antibiotics (ABs) after that, which will help, but can effect the BG. You will just need to be on your toes because of everything changing: new insulin, ABs, clearing infection, less pain, etc.

Paws crossed for everything to go well.

7. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA Well-Known Member

Ann, have you changed her diet? She is getting better numbers now. You may be looking at a good chance of diet control with a change to all low carb wet food - and a short course of insulin. (knock wood, anti jinx).

I think you can stick with spot checks for now and I would get a few more on either side of where she went to 144 - from +4 to +7 - sort of a mini curve. As long as doses are settling, diets are changing, it really works better to be getting spot checks.

As for the icons, hmmm, I thought their labels popped up when you moused over them, but they aren't. My guesses are:
    OTJ = Off the juice
    candle = prayers requested or memorial
    rainbow = crossing over
    911 = emergency
    star = exciting
    flames = hot news
    star = important (not sure what the difference in stars is)
    reel = video or is that the radioactive sign... ?
    heart = thanks, love,
    clouds = I have an idea
    exclamation = exclamation
    "i" = info (?)
    red face = embarrassed
    grin = funny or sarcasm (?)

8. Ann & Tess GA

Thanks Sheila, that's what I'm hoping for. Since she was put on insulin before her diet was changed I've been moving slowly. Right now she is about half and half, but as I give her more wet she has been leaving more of the dry in the bowl.

Thanks for the info on the icons too.

9. Yolanda and Goo (GA)

Yolanda and Goo (GA) Member

Hi Ann

the vet will need to write you a script for the Lantus, to fill at a pharmacy. I'd suggest getting the cartridges rather than a vial (you don't need the pen to go with the cartridges, you just use a syringe same as normal). The cartridges are smaller volume (3ml vs 10ml for the vial), so you will get more use out of them. Most people find the insulin gets 'floaties' well before they would get through a whole 10mls!

Check in the Lantus forum what exactly to ask your vet to write the script for, as I'm not sure it's the same in the US as here in New Zealand.

10. Sweetgrass & the Furries

Sweetgrass & the Furries Member

Agreeing, those are nice shallow days you are having :)
    Well done, you have absorbed so much, so very quickly.

11. Ann & Tess GA

I did a test at +5 and it was 86, not dangerously low, but unnerving for me. I did another at +6 162, and am about to do another at *7.

I guess I end for full emersion (a polite way of saying obsessive / compulsive) I think I've beenaveraging 14 hours a day for the last several days reading everything I can find. Tess has to come in and remind me I should get off the #%***@ computer and give her a lap. got ot go and do the test and the sleep. We see the new vet tomorrow morning.

12. Spacey & Ella

Spacey & Ella Member

Good luck tomorrow with the new vet. :mrgreen:

13. Spacey & Ella

Spacey & Ella Member

No AB's, no clearing infection (there was none after all), less pain still possible, new insulin yes...
    considering everything from today and that I'm NOT able to check tomorrow (oh, eum. today) morning I think I consider 0.5 tomorrow morning...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.