1/13 Tess AMPS 361

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Ann & Tess GA, Jan 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

We had a quite a low reading last night at +5 86 and I didn't know if it was even lower earlier so I gave her a few higher carb treats and tested again for the next 2 hours, at +6 __ 162 and at +7 --- 230. After last night I got up a little late so I am going to test at +1.5 and the hopefully at +2.5 when she will be at the vet.

I'm trying to get all the info I've downloaded together to take along. Can you use the SS links in the signature if you are not a registered user? That way the vet could come to the forum and see Tess's number if there is a problem. Or she could become a member, but I don't know if she will do that.

2. Spacey & Ella

Spacey & Ella Member

My hubby is also not a member.
    I just send him the link of the google sheet (you get that when you share) in an e-mail. And now he can look whenever he like's. He doesn't need to be a member here.

So, just send her/him the link to the sheet in an e-mail.

3. Ann & Tess GA

Just got back from the vet and she said everything we wanted to hear. :razz: She said right off the bat that she wanted me to switch to Lantus. Script for Lantus "Just show me what you need." Very much in favor of home testing. While things are changing she'd like to see PS, +1 and +6 on a regular basis for comparison.

I can stop feeding the Hills dry. We'll just have to see how Tess reacts to an empty food dish throughout the day. But she's eating only 1/8 cup anyway, so maybe no problem. This morning she actually ignored the dry and went over to the empty dish for the wet and started licking it to see if there was any more.

Now I've got to order the Lantus and new syringes. I was wondering if we order on the internet is there a problem with shipping in the cold weather we've been having all over the country?

I'm so relieved.

4. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

Woohooo :mrgreen:

Music to your ears.

As for cold weather I would hope it means a greater chance of it being ok, though you may have opposite problem and it gets too cold, afraid I really don't know. Maybe you can ask the question when you order it?

Here's a link about syringes and suggestions of where to get them from the old board.
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/phorum5/r ... 22,1959486

One question I have-why will Tess have an empty food bowl through the day?
    May need to leave food out sometimes in case kitty gets low numbers and can recognise this and bring back up by eating (like us getting a sugar low and going for a choccy bar in the afternoon)

It will also be useful to get +2's and 4's depending where Tess is at on her dose-don't worry about this, you'll have lots of data for your vet :mrgreen: (have a look at our ss and you'll see what I mean. Lev almost identical to Lantus)

Good Job-Yay :RAHCAT

be seeing you in LL

5. Ann & Tess GA

Tess will free feed with dry food and only eat when she is hungry. But she is a piglet with wet food and eats all of whatever I put out. All the advice I'm getting here is to get rid of dry, apparently even a very low carb one like EVO with 6% to 9% carbs. I know it is ideal for cats to get most of their water through wet food, but I don't understand why a small amount of dry low carb left out as a snack is so bad.

I'm still still learning about food and will have to do some experimenting with what she likes. The EVO is good and she likes it but it nearly as pricey as the prescription foods. I want to try some others for variety as well.

6. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA Well-Known Member

Ann, you will learn what works for Tess and what doesn't. Some kitties are more sensitive to carbs than others, some do ok on a little dry, others don't, etc.

There are three drys that are lower carb (low enough for consideration). Evo, Wellness Core, and .... gosh I can never rember the third because it is newish. Might be by Nature's Valley?

Yes, all low-carb wet food is best because it makes food much less of a factor in causing higher BGs. All you can do is gather data and track if dry causes spikes. You may find down the road a bit, that she will eat until she is full (of the wet food) and walk away for a while. Or you can put down frozen "pucks" of wet food and she will eat it when it thaws. Or get a timed feeder so it goes off after you leave and she gets food 2-3 hours after her shot.

I did find that leaving even a tablespoon of dry down caused higer numbers for Beau. He went from 400s-500s (at preshot) and a dose of 2.5u of vetsulin bid to 200s-300s and a dose of 1u bid over the month that I phased out dry food. I keep Evo around for treats after testing ocassionally. His usual treat is boiled white meat chicken - no carbs!

7. Ann & Tess GA

Thanks Sheila, the EVO was what I was considering as it has the lowest carbs of all the dry foods. I took away the dry today and we'll see how she deals with it. I'm using the EVO Turkey/Chicken treats as a reward after test, just 1 or 2. What dry did you get those results with?

8. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA Well-Known Member

Oh, gosh, let's see....

He ate Iams weight control for years - that's why he became diabetic no doubt - that and a couple of years of pred. Then I started trying to find a lower carb dry and was feeding Purina One or something - Purina something at any rate with white meat chicken as the first ingredients, but it had soy, corn and wheat gluten in it and caused him to have stinky soft stools. Finally, I switched him to Blue Buffalo Wilderness that has a photo of a lynx on the bag. This was before I found this site and Janet and Binky's list. They didn't have the really low carb drys at Pet Smart and I tried a sample of Core but no one liked it.

I think he was eating Friskies canned and Wilderness that last month he got dry food. At the very end, I was pushing 6-8 kibbles into the top of the wet food so it just showed and he could smell it and had to eat down to get it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.