1/15 Rusty AMPS 265; vet follow-up visit; +5.5 146, +9 151, PMPS 372, +4.5 132

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA), Jan 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Yesterday

Hi L&LL,

Rusty had his follow-up with the vet early this morning. We told her that he miraculously improved the day after the steroid shot, that by the end of the week he had relapsed a bit, but was still much better than last Monday, when he was a mess. She thought he was breathing through his nose OK, and suggested that we wait another week to see how he continues to do. We agree. The steroids are really messing with his body (whacky and too high bg; too much peeing; constipation). The future options are: another steroid shot; oral steroids (not possible with Rusty!), an inhaler that would be modified so as to cover the nose but not the mouth. I'm not happy with any of them!

Rusty's breathing was good today, but after his "steam" in the late afternoon became worse. Maybe the steam breathing in the bathroom isn't such a good idea. He wanted to get out, so that might have been an indication that he was uncomfortable (he usually just sits there patiently). Appetite is good, but we are waiting for a poop. He is usually very regular. Does anyone know if steroids have the same effect on the intestinal system as antibiotics? Rusty got a pro-biotic in his food tonight, just on a hunch that they might.

Judging from the numbers today (through +9), it looked like the new 0.5U dose was beginning to have an effect. I suspect that the PMPS number is a delayed bounce from the vetty visit. It could also reflect Rusty's increased nasal congestion this late afternoon.

Going downstairs to hold Rusty's dinner bowl. Tomorrow I'll be out on a snowshoe climb, so Edward and Rusty will have a nice day together.

2. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

I’m sorry Rusty is going through all of this. I hope the delayed poop is just due to the upset of another vet visit. Perhaps the increased urination is causing him to be a bit dehydrated, and that is contributing to the problem. Would he tolerate some water added to his food (or a little more if you are already doing that)? I don’t think that steroids affect the intestines as antibiotics do in terms of destroying the natural flora, which is what you might give the probiotic for. But I don’t think probiotics would do any harm if he doesn’t mind them. I hope his breathing settles down soon. He will have a nice quiet day to recover tomorrow.

3. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I hope Rusty starts to do better and doesn’t need any of the options. :bighug:

4. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Thanks, Linda,
    I do put lots of water in his food, and he also drinks lots of water out of his bowls and our glasses (!). His sneezing was so bad tonight that he didn't eat his dinner (yet), but he did have a poop. I put the probiotics into his dinner. When he was on the antibiotic he had some probiotics every day and everything was working well.
    It is distressing to hear his noisy breathing. It was fine this morning. He doesn't normally react to a vet visit (although he doesn't like his vet). We hope he'll be doing better in the morning.

5. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

Barbara & Uncle (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending more healing vines to Rusty. I hope he feels better in the morning. Glad he pooped, one less thing to worry about!
    Enjoy the snowshoeing :bighug:

6. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Yeah for Poop!!

Now Rusty....mama says it's her birthday and that you are ordered to feel better soon!! Yeah, I knows...dez hoomins just thinks dey can tell us what to do....but I guess dez birthdays are sumthing speshul so maybe you could try really hard? ~ LagoonMeisterin China....On duty after a quick trip to da beach

7. Michelle and Mannie (GA)

Michelle and Mannie (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Ella!

Many vines for Rusty. Yupp, those steroids can mess with things... BG's will be up, Vanessa's were elevated some with her last BW, and she receives prednisilone daily. It is my understanding that steroids usually do not have the intestinal affects that AB's can have. We have not had any constipation issues, or increased urination. I hope the probiotics help, maybe with the appetite too. Good luck! I am sorry Rusty is having a few problems. I so hope things will be better in the morning. Be well Rusty!

8. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Sending feel better vines for Rusty. :bighug: Steroids actually did good things for civie Theo's GI system, which is why he was getting them. Like Vanessa, pred daily.

9. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I hope Rusty's breathing is better tomorrow. Sending prayers. :bighug:

10. Patty & Champ

Patty & Champ Well-Known Member

It's quite the dilemma when you have the dual problem of breathing problems and diabetes. What helps one messes up the other. I hope Rusty gets through this quickly. Prayers and hugs to you all!

11. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

Breathing vines once again. I could be wrong, but I think I vaguely remember hearing that you might be able to get pred compounded into a transdermal gel that you would then rub in Rusty's ear. I use transdermal gel for Frankie's hyperT meds, and it does work at least for HyperT. But, I can't remember for sure if it can be done with pred...but it could be something to investigate. Of course it'll still mess with his BG, but as you know you can always adjust his juice.

12. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

Sending lots of feel-better and breathing vines to Rusty! Enjoy your day Ella!

13. Mandarin'sMom

Mandarin'sMom Well-Known Member

I hope Rusty's breathing is better this morning.... and that his BG is starting to come back down.

Enjoy your snowshoe climb - that sounds like fun!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.