1/16 Rusty AMPS 184, +5.5 109, +9 93, PMPS 126, +5 42; please send vines!

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA), Jan 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Yesterday

Hi L&LL,

Rusty had a bad night breathing/sneezing and a bad morning--so bad that I bowed out of the snowshoe climb so that I could be with him or be ready to take him to the vet. He ate none of his nighttime foods, and only nibbled at breakfast. But by lunchtime he was feeling more himself and ate some, sat at the table with us, and drank from his water glass. He's been sleeping this afternoon. I went for a walk in the lovely snow and not-too cold temperature. He was sneezing mightily when I returned, but I didn't see any blood. I'm about to do his +9. Numbers are pretty good today, but, of course, he hasn't been eating much.

@Amy&TrixieCat : I'm going to try to find out if pred is available in transdermal form. If he has to take it, that would be the way. Does anyone else know?

Thanks, guys, for the support yesterday.

bbl

Tracey&Jones (GA) likes this.
  2. Anne & Zener GA

Anne & Zener GA Well-Known Member

Our vet didn't like transdermal meds, thought it was hard to get a consistent dose. We got the prednisolone compounded in a triple fish (Tillie) or chicken (Zener) solution. Zener absolutely hated the fish flavor and Tillie sipped it out of the dropper like it was candy. Lotsa vines to your guy and hugs for you and Edward.
    Liz

3. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Thanks, Liz. Where did you get it compounded? locally? via internet?

4. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm sorry Rusty is still having breathing issues. I'm glad it has improved some today. I hope his appy picks up. Sending prayers.

5. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

Sending some express breathing vines to poor Rusty!

6. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

you should be able to get it locally if there's a compounding pharmacy near you. Most of them are doing pet meds now and offer "pet friendly" flavors

I also remember someone used banana flavor for their cat...I guess some cats like it!!

7. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

Banana flavor may have been us! I used it at my vet's recommendation...not so much because Trix would like it, but actually to prevent aversions to things she did like, like chicken. Apparently kitties don't taste sweet stuff, so banana would mask the meds without making it TOO offensive (at least in theory), and she wouldn't associate her favorite fuds with medicine.

We have a local pharmacy that does pet compounding, but if you don't, Wedgewood is one online pharmacy that does. Back in the day, Drs Foster and Smith did, too, but I don't know if they still do it now.

Appy and breathing vines for sweet Rusty.

8. Chris & China (GA)

Yes it was!!! I remember now the reason why you went with banana, but if I remember right, Trixie did seem to like it (or at least tolerate it)

9. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

Poor Rusty, I hope he’s breathing and eating better soon.

Let me know if you figure out the medicating conundrum, we are in the same boat. I’ve only have luck with the oral bupe because Asia doesn’t need to swallow it for it to work and I’ve already got one battle scar from giving it to her! :joyful:

I don’t know if pred is time release or you can crush it up or what, but so far I’ve had luck with hiding a nasty bitter (because I tasted it myself) B complex in a food she has never had before but seems to like well enough (tiki cat velvet mousse) and I give it to her where she doesn’t normally get food (+9) so she’s hungry. I know Rusty is real picky on foods though and may like it one day and not the next.

10. Amy&TrixieCat

Trixie was an easy patient, so she tolerated it, but I wouldn't say she loved it. Our GA civvie, Petey, though, loved banana flavored meds...he would lick his lips with a "yum" style after taking them. Crazy sweet kitty!

11. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I was just thinking of Rusty. :bighug: I hope he is feeling better. Sending better breathing vines and eating vines.

12. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Online pharacies like BCP, Diamondback, or Roadrunner make chew treats for pred. Apparently BCP will send blanks of different flavours for you to try out first.

Sending breathing vines.

13. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Thank you all for your suggestions. Rusty's condition was really horrible tonight. His eyes are running, his nasal congestion is bad (but no blood), he didn't eat his dinner, and his bg went down to 42 (not unusual for him, but in this case it is because he hasn't eaten well today). I think he has an infection and will take him back to the vet tomorrow to see about another course of antibiotics. Right now (at almost midnight) he has perked up a bit and eaten some food (I put in a drop of Karo). I am so unused to this because Rusty has never really been sick (except for his chronic congestion). Please send vines!

14. Chris & China (GA)

Sending some great big Tarzan swingin' through the jungle vines for Rusty!!
    [​IMG]

15. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending vines you can play with, and loads of love.

[​IMG]

16. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

Sending so many vines for Rusty, hang in there buddy! I hope you can get to the vet and get him sorted quickly. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

17. PussCatPrince - GA

PussCatPrince - GA Well-Known Member

Local fortifying vines from us to you.
    I do hope everything improves and soon.
    xx
    Vines for Rusty.jpg

18. Tiger(GA) and Ruth

Tiger(GA) and Ruth Well-Known Member

(((((Ella and Rusty))))) Sending you tons and tons of healing and breathing and eating vines!!! I hope your vet can come up with something to help your poor guy. Prayers being sent as well!

19. Girlie's mom

Girlie's mom Well-Known Member

I so hope Rusty feels better soon! Sending healing vines...

vines 04.jpg

20. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

I’m sending vines and prayers! Please feel better Rusty!

21. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Poor Rusty, I'm sorry he's having such a tough time right now. I hope things look up for him soon. Sending him some gentle chin scritches, along with tons of appy and get-well vines and prayers, along with (((((hugs))))) for you, Ella. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

22. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Ann & Maggie11 (GA) Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear Rusty is having a hard time. Sending lots of vines, prayers and hugs. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

23. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending more prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

24. Amy&TrixieCat

Vines and prayers

25. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Sending Healing Vines to Rusty.
    [​IMG]

26. Beenie (GA)

Beenie (GA) Well-Known Member

27. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

Alicia & Maggie (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending vetty vines and clear sinuses vines!

28. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

Sending yet more vines for poor Rusty!

29. Tasha & Darwin

Tasha & Darwin Well-Known Member

Sending oodles of healing vines your way - and hoping his appetite and respiratory symptoms get better quickly! :cat::bighug::cat:

30. Anne & Zener GA

Anne & Zener GA Well-Known Member

We got it compounded locally. It was refrigerated and lasted about 4 weeks, I think mostly because the fish base would get rancid. I think the pharmacy charged $30 or $35 per bottle.
    Liz

31. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Thanks, Liz. Stay tuned.

Anne & Zener GA likes this.
  32. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Tons and tons of vines, white light, and snowflakes...even though you have enough of those!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.