GA 1/16 Saying goodbye to Willie, Cat of Legend.

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Christie & Willie (GA), Jan 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Christie & Willie (GA)

Christie & Willie (GA) Well-Known Member

Thanks to Cheryl for sharing on FB earlier today. It's with a most heavy heart that I share with our LL family that Willie went to the bridge yesterday afternoon. I'm absolutely heartbroken.

For those who didn't know of him, Willie was an old man. He was 20-21 years old and had blessed my life for the past 19 after taking advantage of an open front door on a cold night in November 1997 and announcing that he was now part of my family.

He was diagnosed with diabetes in December of 2010, which brought us here. We lost our dear Miss Jezebelle a week later, and for many months Willie struggled with grief, diabetes, and pemphigus, an auto-immune skin disorder. Through 30 long months of treatment with the support of the amazing family we made here, Willie went OTJ from both insulin and his pemphigus meds (which is apparently quite rare) and had only a couple very brief relapses. He was a CKD kitty for years and years and had a heart murmur, which made giving fluids something of a last resort for us as the vets were concerned they would overtax his heart.

Over the past several months, his kidneys had been in steady decline. We'd tried phosphorus binders, which helped a little. We tried fluids, though we never got to the point where the benefits really outweighed his agitation in getting the treatment. He was losing weight. While I was away for the holidays, he started eating even less. I was home ill for several days last week and got the chance to really spend time with him...and see how his quality of life had declined. I'd given him one more week to turn a corner, having purchased every food he might like. He tried hard, but by this past weekend, it was clear that it was time.

We had a most wonderful vet come to our home and my sweet boy left his earthly body cradled in a heated blanket in my arms after having spent the morning snuggled there with Herbie and I. I hope that his passing afforded him the dignity and honor that he so richly deserved.

You see, while every pet is special there are some that just touch you in ways you could never imagine. Willie was one of those pets. There was not a person that did not like him....no matter how much they proclaimed to not like cats. He had a personality like no other and a sweet gentle spirit that touched so many.

During his final minutes, he responded to the sedative so quickly and was sleeping so soundly that the vet remarked about how much he clearly had been fighting for his mama. Those words hit me like a ton of bricks today. You see, Willie had been giving me signs. Last week, when I called the vet to schedule his goodbye, they were short staffed and I broke down and said I'd have to call back later. He came, sat on me, purred for the first time in many months and then went to the litter box to show me he would use it (we'd been having issues with that). He then gobbled down greedily the food that I gave him for dinner.
    Even yesterday, I had to set him up with his blanket on the sofa and then call the vet from the other room because every time I'd tried, he'd gotten in my lap and blocked the phone.

The vet's kind words made me realize that my sweet, sweet boy wasn't trying to tell me that he wanted to stay so much as he was telling me he would stay if that is what I needed. He didn't want his mama to be sad. I know someday I will be grateful for knowing this, but today? Today I would give anything in the world for just two more minutes to hold my boy and tell him just how much his unwavering and unconditional love has meant to me these past 19 years and that I'm so sorry for any pain he might have suffered because I'd waited to be sure.

So tonight, I ask that our Lantus Land family light a candle to pave his way and raise a glass to my sweet boy and keep Herbie and I in your thoughts as we figure out how to live our lives without his presence. I find tremendous comfort in knowing that all of his LL family will be there to welcome him to his new life, with his sweet Miss Jezebelle by his side. The party will epic. A neverending pile of sausages on the grill, the niptinis flowing freely and our angels all living free of worry and pain, having adventures and engaging in all kinds of shenanigans.

Thank you friends for reading. For being the kind of pet parents that understand how this feels. And for creating a place that has given me memories that will get me through the difficult days. Words cannot express my gratitude for this space and the family I will always have here.

Christie

2. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

Christie I don't know when I have ever been so moved - the story of Willie made me fall in love with this remarkable kitty
    My glass is raised for him - on my way to light the candle
    what he has to guide him is your everlasting love which shines so brightly
    I am so sorry for this tragic lose - you are very brave
    My heart goes out :bighug::bighug:to you, Christie

Anne & Zener GA likes this.
  3. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Raising a glass to both of you. I'm sorry for your loss.

4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I will bring out Neko's candle. A light to a legend. What a beautiful tribute.

Fly free free Willie. cat_wings>o There are a host of our sugar cat GA's out there to greet you at the Bridge.

5. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Candle has been lit, and glass raised to Willie, a very special kitty:bighug:
    Fly Free sweet Willie:rb_icon:

6. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Your words made me smile through my tears. It reminded me of my George -- a male calico who lived with me for 20+ years. I don't think he wanted me to be sad. It is so hard to lose a friend that is so much a part of your life for that long. Those of us who had the privilege of getting to know Willie keep his memory tucked away in our hearts.

He is flying free and joining those kitties of Lantus/Lev Land who have begun their new adventure at the Bridge. They are well loved and greatly missed.

7. Anne & Zener GA

Anne & Zener GA Well-Known Member

Oh Christie, we all grieve with you for Willie the gentleman cat, and we grieve all over again our kitties waiting to welcome him at the bridge. He had a very good death, with the dignity and look ve he deserved. I am sure he will send a sign soon that all is well and he will be hoping you and Herbie are too. Sending you love and comfort as you mourn his passing, a special boy indeed.

IMG_2502.JPG

8. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

Christie.... What a heartfelt beautiful tribute to Mr Willie...
    It is funny how even though many of us may not "know" each other we all know the tremendous love we have for our kitty's and it is like a unspoken and invisible wall that we can all see through.
    It does seem that knowing we all have this common bond and we all share in each others loss.

I am so sorry for your pain.
    Willie will always be a special boy....we can learn so much about love by watching our kitty's.
    :rb_icon::rb_icon::rb_icon:

Carol & Murphy (GA) likes this.
  9. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm glad he was at home with you at the end. Fly free sweet Willie. Sending prayers.

sarahtee likes this.
  10. Dallas

Dallas Member

I'm so very sorry. What a beautiful tribute to your sweet cat. It is clear that not only was he so very loved, but he loved greatly as well. Sending prayers of comfort your way.

11. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Christie, so sorry it was time for Willie to leave. He is with you always. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

12. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry for your loss. From your description it's obvious that he was a very special kitty. :bighug:

13. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Dear (((Christie))),
    We are treasuring Willie's memory and will light Stu's candle for him tonight. What a wonderful kitty he was, and how much he loved his mamabean. I know that the GAs are having a fine welcome party for Willie at the Two Chefs' Bridge Kitchen. He is in good paws with so many of his old friends and Miss Jezebelle. May your beautiful memories comfort you in your grief.

Fly free, sweet Willie cat_wings>o You are much loved.

In loving remembrance,

Ella and Edward, Rusty, and Stu (GA)

HWright likes this.
  14. sarahtee

sarahtee Member

I'm very sorry for your loss, and also happy you were able to have the vet come to your home. Fly free, Willie :rb_icon:
    :bighug:

15. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

My face is filled with huge tears. I am so sorry for your loss. I am holding you and Herbie close in my heart.
    I have lit my candle for Willie to find his way to his sweet Miss Jezebelle and for them to be snuggling right now, in love.
    :bighug::bighug:

16. Lincolns Mom

Lincolns Mom Well-Known Member

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:fly free and land softly Willie:rb_icon:cat_wings>o... i pray you find comfort and remember the great times with your little guy :bighug::bighug::bighug:

17. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

I did not have the pleasure of knowing you or Willie but your story is one of a special kitty and a very special bean. You touched my heart and I am raising a glass to Willie, you and Herbie. Willie's longevity is a testament to the love you shared. You were his guardian angel and now he is yours and he will live in your heart forever.:bighug::bighug::bighug: Rest in peace sweet Willie! cat_wings>o

18. Donna and Flame

Donna and Flame Well-Known Member

My tears are flowing with yours Christie. I was so moved by your words and the obvious love the two of you shared. Love never dies... it is everlasting. I will light my Hobbes's candle tonite and ask him to find Willie and welcome him. My heart hurts for you and I pray for your strength and comfort as you go thru the difficult days ahead. Fly with the Angels now sweet Willie cat_wings>o

19. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

I didn't know Willie but after reading your loving tribute, I feel like I do. My heart is breaking and tears are flowing for your loss of such a very special friend. I am glad he passed so peacefully and surrounded by so much love. He will live on in your heart until the day you are reunited at the Rainbow Bridge.

Fly free, beloved Willie, and send your Mamabean a sign that you have traveled safely on your journey to your new life at the Bridge cat_wings>o

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

20. AZJenks

AZJenks Well-Known Member

Cheers to your beautiful life Willie. Fly free sweet boy!

21. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

(((Christie))) I feel we are old friends and we share a love for each others' babies....and they are together st the Bridge, happy and dancing but also missing us because of the incredible bond we had with them.

Willie....I will always and forever remember this sweet old man who was so happy to have Miss Herbie come join him and share his life. I remember when precious Jezebelle crossed and your strength amid your heartbreak.

I wish that we could all be saved this kind of heartbreak and I wish I could tell you that it gets easier as time goes on, but it doesn't. We miss them all but especially these very, very special ones.

A candle for Willie

IMG_1388.JPG

22. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Ozzy Pawzbourne Well-Known Member

Your tribute to Willie touched my heart. I am so glad you were able to spend so many wonderful years with him. I hope you find peace in the coming days and know he was loved and loved you as much the same.

23. Linda and Scooter & Jack

Linda and Scooter & Jack Well-Known Member

24. Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA)

Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA) Well-Known Member

I didn't know you or Willie but I know he was loved and he loved much. I am so sorry for your loss. :bighug::rb_icon:cat_wings>o

25. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

Christie, I have such good memories of us learning the sugar dance together. Your stories of Willie catching mice and letting them go in the house always cracked me up. I remember the first time I saw you talk about it I was horrified thinking that Willie was gonna eat that poor mousie, and so relieved by the end of your story when I realized that he didn't have teeth and mousie would be fine. Then there was the time that Willie let the mouse go on your bed!

I know what you mean about some cats being "more" . . . punkin was one of those two. Wise old souls in a little furry body. They touch our hearts, make us better people and lift us up. Willie was a gift. :bighug: I feel confident we'll see these little ones again someday, and Willie will know you and be happy to see you.

For your sweet Willie . . . lighting his way tonight.
    [​IMG]

sarahtee and suki & crystal (GA) like this.
  26. suki & crystal (GA)

suki & crystal (GA) Well-Known Member

I am so very sorry for your loss Christie, your loving tribute to you beloved Willie touched my heart profoundly. Fly free sweet Willie, there will be many old friends to welcome you at the Bridge cat_wings>o:bighug::bighug::bighug:

27. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:
    I'm sorry for your loss, what a beautiful tribute to Willie, thanks for sharing.
    Fly Free Willie and land softly
    :rb_icon::rb_icon::rb_icon:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  28. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

I am so sorry, Christie :bighug::bighug::bighug:...you and Willie were some of the first folks to greet Trixie and I when we joined almost 6 years ago. I will never forget his adventures, and he will always be a part of your heart, and a part of hearts all around the world....

29. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

Your tribute to Willie brought me to tears, Christie. What a wonderful life he had with you. My heart breaks to know you have lost your beloved companion of so many years. My thoughts are with you in your time of loss.

30. Kathy and TiTi

Kathy and TiTi Well-Known Member

:bighug: :bighug::bighug:

You've written a beautiful tribute to Willie. Yes, some cats touch us more deeply. I've known a few, very few, who reached out to me and to life in precisely the way you so fully described.
    I've never completely recovered from their loss, but perhaps that is a tribute to them, to those kitties who make a permanent home in our hearts.

:bighug::bighug::bighug:

31. Patty & Champ

Patty & Champ Well-Known Member

Champ's circle of old buddies that remain on earth is now so small. You and Willie were one of our first contacts when we joined FDMB all those years ago and you both became one of our best friends here. Willie was an awesome cat with such a great personality. I, too, loved to hear the stories of the fearless (and completely toothless) mouse catcher. I'll just bet that Stu and Mannie had that grill fired up for his welcoming party with Gracie passing out niptinis. I really feel for you. Having a pet for 19 years and then having to go on without them has got to be hard. I'm thinking about you. I'm glad you and Herbie have each other for comfort.

32. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA) Well-Known Member

I am sorry that I hadn't gotten to meet Willie. There is something fantastic about a kitty that claims you in such bold fashion! He sounds very special and you were lucky to have each other. Our sincerest condolences.

:bighug:

Sandi&Whisper.

33. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry. Prayers for your grieving heart. It's hard to give so much love.

Fly Free Willie.

[​IMG]

34. Jenny and Grady

Jenny and Grady Member

Beautifully written. Thinking of you!

35. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Fly free sweet Willie. You had a long marvelous life, full of wonder and love.:bighug:

36. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Christie, I am so very sorry Willie has gone to the rainbow bridge.......I understand your heartbreak.
    Your tribute was just lovely to read. Your love for each other is so special :bighug::bighug::bighug:

37. Gussie's mom (GA)

Gussie's mom (GA) Well-Known Member

38. Taffysmama

Taffysmama Well-Known Member

What a Beautiful Story & Tribute. So sorry you had to lose your Willie, but how wonderful that he found you and had such a long, love-filled life with you!!! cat_wings>o

39. HWright

HWright Well-Known Member

Wishing you gentle vines in this time of both sorrow and remembrance for your dear Willie. His years together with you and through so many challenges is a testament to your love and care for each other. I know that saying this doesn't make these transitions any easier. But I do know that your love and the wonderful life you shared together is with him always. ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️
    Sina

JeffJ likes this.
  40. Michelle and Mannie (GA)

Michelle and Mannie (GA) Well-Known Member

Christie, what a wonderful tribute and remembrance of our Willie. He was so special, so caring. Just like his mama. I won't forget you Willie, and all those escapades you had in LL with my Mannie. Remembering it all brings such a smile to my face. You were unique. A wonderful unique. I hope all the memories will be of Comfort Christie. it is so hard to say goodbye, to know when it is time. Somehow we always do. Willie thanks for taking such good care of your mama. Hugs to you Christie. Willie's crossing reminds me of Mannie's and Elsa's. They both went to sleep instantly too, a confirmation for me that I had made the right decision for them both. Peaceful crossing Willie. Forever in our hearts.

JeffJ likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.