1/17 Nelson AMPS 175

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Bridget & Lord Nelson, Jan 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bridget & Lord Nelson

Bridget & Lord Nelson Member

yesterday's condo: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2794

Woo hoo!

I woke up in the middle of the night scared because Nelson's BG before bedtime was a 106... certainly much lower than I'd seen so far, and especially surprised because I think the True2Go meter was reading low and I switched to the ReliOn yesterday expecting more realistic numbers. Other than the 251 at +10 yesterday afternoon they are consistent with the old meter and continuing to trend downward. Maybe Nelson was blue at 3:30 AM but otherwise fine and I went to bed without taking a BG, b/c if I'm gone from bed too long it disturbs DH b/c he thinks there's something wrong with me! Certainly if he saw me up at 3:30 AM doing a BG on Nelson he'd think there's something wrong with me. @-)

Erred on the side of caution though and shot under 1, esp. since his lowest numbers may be while we are gone to church. Maybe should have shot less than that. Will test again though before we leave and as soon as we get back. I have shot below 200 before so I'm pretty sure he won't drop dangerously low but want to monitor him closely in case his pancreas decides to kick in, especially since his shed is apparently full.

He ate really well this morning but definitely expressing a preference for one food over another rather than just eating everything in sight like he was pre dx. Had a can of cheapie 9 Lives Super Supper hanging around from when my stepdaughter's cat was here--gave some of that to him yesterday just to see if he'd eat it and now the Wellness just isn't good enough, and totally forget the Authority. This morning he readily ate the Wellness chicken and turkey over the CORE wet which is probably ok. Wouldn't it be the strangest thing though if when I 100% transition the rest of our cats away from dry I go from the really expensive Wellness to cheapie stuff like 9 Lives? Not ready to go there yet but also not sure I can afford to feed 13 cats a 100% wet super premium diet. We make good money but there's a limit that we've just about reached as it is. Maybe I can mix. That I could probably do. I'm still having a hard time with the "any old cheapie wet food is better than the super expensive Wellness I've been spending a small fortune on" concept. All but 1 civvy cat (the k/d girl I've been struggling with) ate more wet than dry today... only fed a token amount of kibble and the rest wet. They ate it all. Good kitties. :D

Otherwise, Nelson is back to his old Lord Nelson self. He's not our alpha kitty any more with the addition of so many other cats over the last couple of years but is the most sure of himself, and still has a bit of mischief in him even at his advancing age.

2. Brenda and Morris

Brenda and Morris Member

"Had a can of cheapie 9 Lives Super Supper hanging around from when my stepdaughter's cat was here--gave some of that to him yesterday just to see if he'd eat it and now the Wellness just isn't good enough, and totally forget the Authority. This morning he readily ate the Wellness chicken and turkey over the CORE wet which is probably ok. Wouldn't it be the strangest thing though if when I 100% transition the rest of our cats away from dry I go from the really expensive Wellness to cheapie stuff like 9 Lives? Not ready to go there yet but also not sure I can afford to feed 13 cats a 100% wet super premium diet. We make good money but there's a limit that we've just about reached as it is. Maybe I can mix. That I could probably do. I'm still having a hard time with the "any old cheapie wet food is better than the super expensive Wellness I've been spending a small fortune on" concept. All but 1 civvy cat (the k/d girl I've been struggling with) ate more wet than dry today... only fed a token amount of kibble and the rest wet. They ate it all. Good kitties."

Great number for starters today!

As for the food, ANY foods on the Binky list with carbs under 10% will suffice for Nelson and certainly for the civvies as well. As a matter of fact, most seem to prefer brands other than Wellness. I know Morris seemed to like Wellness better but after a few days he wanted to go back to Fancy Feast....I'd say that FF is the most popular brand here on the board, especially the beef with gravy for bringing up lower numbers. Not that FF is "cheap" but if you buy it by the case in the larger cans it's definitely a lot cheaper than Wellness.

I can't even imagine taking care of 13 cats!!!! :dizcat

3. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

I agree with Brenda that the FF seems to be well liked by kitties ...the Wellness has to be spiced
    up all the time with freeze-dried chicken in this house. But I only have the two kitties....the way I see it, it might
    be cheaper in the long run if you feed them the food that is best for felines.

Dry food might fill them up, but then if they end up getting sick because you are not meeting their nutritional needs, it might be more expensive in the end with the vet bills and who knows what else...it's something to ponder. They all seemed to like the wet this morning (except the one) right? So maybe you can find a low carb food for all 13 that will meet your budget.....

I've set my alarm for 4:30am for the longest time now...just told DH that this is what I have to do... Some nights, I know that I am having a pajama party with Shadow in the living room.... :D I have put a lot of time into this and staying up during the wee hours is part of the deal. sigh. It might not be forever. As long as you assure him that YOU are ok maybe that will rest his mind.
    Ya gots ta DO what ya gots ta do!!!

But Lord Nelson is doing SO well....look at those AMPS...nice job!!! :thumbup

4. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

Morning Lord Nelson...You are doing really well so far, in such a short time. There is no reason why , unless medical, that all cats shouldnt be eating fancy feast, also friskies special diet, or any food on janet & binky's food lists(look on the old list also)--It is very tasty, low carb, and my cats all eat it..
    It is actually better for them than others because of the low carb content..
    You are really doing well..
    We do try to shoot one dose consistantly as that works here with the lantus--Patience & consistancy that's what works--Have a good Sunday!!

5. Judith and Thomas

Judith and Thomas Member

Welcome Bridgett and Lord Nelson! Boy, he is doing great so far! Whooo Whooo!

I am struck by his name...my Thomas' full name was 'Sir Thomas Nelson'....'His Honor' for short. So I think our boys have a bit in common. Of course they both deserve such lofty titles, no? :D

Keep up the good work, Lord Nelson, you handsome boy!

Judith and Thomas (GA)

6. Bridget & Lord Nelson

Well, won't be messing around with the Lantus again. PMPS was pink. Gave full dose. Also wondering if the cheapie 9 Lives Super Supper Nelson had last night helped contribute to the nice BGs... and the Wellness which is in his normal rotation helped contribute to the spike. I got some other foods on Janet and Binky's list this evening including a few cans of the gluten-free FF as well as the grain free Sophisticat. Turkey and Giblets looks really low in carbs. I put together a spreadsheet this afternoon and if I put them all on FF I'd only be paying marginally more than I am now, and that's not factoring in cost by the case. It's just so many darn cans for 13 cats. I'd rather find something in larger cans that will work. This is such a learning process and still having a tough time with the fact that a wet by product based food is better than a muscle based protein dry, but I really do want to get them all off the dry once and for all, and it looks like it won't be too hard for most of them. Especially to save me from paying $40 a 12 lb bag which is what I pay for the CORE!

7. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

come on down from the pink, Nelson!

8. Bridget & Lord Nelson

Back in the yellow, good boy! :smile:

9. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I think some time ago there was a thread on Health about food -- specifically what came in the big cans and was low carb. You might want to ask about this issue over in Health. I can't imagine that you wouldn't end up with carpal tunnel opening enough cans of FF to feed 13 kitties.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.