? 1/17 Rusty AMPS 180, +5.5 41; back from the vet, PMPS 170 (gave a short shot), +4.5 92

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA), Jan 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Yesterday

Good Morning, L&LL,

Rusty had another bad night. He didn't even sleep with us, but preferred his little bed in my study. This morning his congestion was still bad and his eyes are running, too. He doesn't want to eat. We have an appointment with the vet for this afternoon at 3 p.m. EST. I suspect he has an infection and will see about starting antibiotics again. In the meantime I have made notes of all the suggestions I received here on the board about compounding medications/ transdermals, etc. at Wedgewood Pharmacy and BCP Vet pharmacy and will discuss this with the vet.
    I know there is a difference between Prednisone and Prednisolone and I have read here that Prednisolone is preferred for cats. Can someone tell me why? And what is the difference? Many thanks.

bbl

2. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Mandy & Rex (GA) Well-Known Member

Prednisone has to be converted to prednisolone before it can be utilized in the cat's body. By using prednisolone, you skip the "middleman." I don't recall the technical language, but that's the basic idea.

3. MyTitan (GA)

MyTitan (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending Vetty vines to Rusty. Titan is on a three day course of prednisolone.

4. Tasha & Darwin

Tasha & Darwin Well-Known Member

Exactly how I explain it! :cat: Sending lots of positive vetty vines!!

5. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Thank you, Mandy!

6. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

Aw poor Rusty, so sad he felt bad enough to sleep by himself. :(

Lots more vetty vines, breathing vines, eating vines and feel better soon vines to Rusty. Just wanted to add to yesterday's banana flavor conversation, there must be something to that, my vet tech said at Asia's last appointment that a lot of cats they see seem to prefer vanilla flavored meds! Weird, right?

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

7. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Ella

If you get it compounded, please be sure you tell them no sweeteners, including artificial ones like maltodextrin. I had some meds compounded for Gracie and told them no sweeteners and when I got it, it had maltodextrin in it even with the chicken flavor so I had to have them redo it as maltodextrin is not good for diabetics.

Have you steamed up the bathroom and sat in there with him to try and break up the congestion?

Many vines for the vet visit today.

C77EF2BF-6A12-4BEA-B359-FF0748F9195A.gif

8. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

Many more vines from us...

9. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I hope the vet can give you something to help Rusty breathe better quickly. Sending prayers.

10. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Pred can compromise the immune system some. Civie Theo got runny eyes when he first started regular pred, but it went away. Tons of good vetty visit vines. Vines factory is on overtime for Rusty to feel better soon. :bighug:

11. Mandarin'sMom

Mandarin'sMom Well-Known Member

Piling on more vetty vines. Iris was on Prednisolone for 6 weeks after she had her polyps removed and she tolerated it really well. She sure didn't like the taste of it, but I didn't notice any adverse effects.

12. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Thanks, Marje, I had forgotten that "minor detail"! Yes we are steaming up the bathroom, but yesterday he didn't want to stay in it. I am very worried about him.

Marje and Gracie likes this.
  13. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Rusty has runny eyes already--just in the last few days. Thanks for revving up the vines factory.

14. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

Alicia & Maggie (GA) Well-Known Member

Vines for Rusty!

15. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

More vines for Rusty!

16. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending more healing vines to Rusty .

17. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

Oh dear Rusty sure hope you feel better real soon. Have to eat your fuds to stay big and strong. Loads of vines and prayers :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

18. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Hi again, We are back from the vet. The trip to the vet energized Rusty. He was the most active and engaged that he had been all day and even used his car litterbox! The vet listened to his lungs, which were fine. She believes that years of chronic nasal congestion have narrowed and hardened his nasal passages and that the present flare could be another flare-up, or there might be a tumor (a nasal carcinoma; only biopsy and cat scan would show for sure; we don't want to go that route, given Rusty's age). She said that the shot of Depo Medrol (the steroid) that he had on Jan. 8th had obviously worn off already. She said that another shot would mess even more with his diabetes and that if we gave one, it would have to be in a few weeks. But she said that he could take Prednisolone every 3 days and we decided that we would try it in transdermal form, so she ordered some from Wedgewood Pharmacy. And he had a shot of Convenia, for good measure. So that's where we are.

The deer family was in our back woods when we returned. Rusty enjoyed seeing them from the window. He ate a little RAWZ turkey (first time today he has eaten anything other than his freeze-dried chicken treats), and seems much brighter than earlier. I was so worried that today might be his last day. He seemed to be distancing himself from us. But he is more normal now. We'll see what happens this evening and tonight. We know that he probably doesn't have a lot of time left, given his age, his breathing problems, and his weight loss (down to a little under 8 lbs.). But we want to keep that time quality time and we trust him to let us know when his time comes. Last night and today were a "preview", I think.

Now, it's the Happy Hour and we are going to drink a beer and eat some pretzels and Rusty will have his pre-dinner snack, too (as usual; obviously I don't follow the 2-hour before test rule! It's more important that the grazer be allowed to graze).

Thank you all again for the vines and for the help.

19. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm glad Rusty has perked up for you and is acting more normal. It is hard to see our kitties struggle with health issues.. Make the most of each day. Sending prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

20. Fiona & Ruby

Fiona & Ruby Member

Really good to hear the very visit went well and Rusty is more lively. Nice welcome home party by the deer! :)

21. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

Glad he perked up for the car ride! Hope the pharmacy is super fast and Rusty is feeling better soon! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

22. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

I'm glad he seems brighter now...nothing like a little vetty visit to make the adrenaline kick in! Prayers that the new meds help...I wonder if the congestion is worse because the depo wore off?? It does get hard when our seniors start showing their senior-ness...Rusty knows he has the best beans ever.

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) and Dyana like this.
  23. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

(((Ella))) (((Edward))) (((Rusty)))

I’m glad that Rusty enjoyed the trip and that the vet had a few more options to try out. I hope that the Pred and Convenia will kick in and help him feel better.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  24. Judy and Boomer

I hope the Pred will help Rusty!

25. Tiger(GA) and Ruth

Tiger(GA) and Ruth Well-Known Member

(((((Rusty & Ella and Edward))))) :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug: Continuing to send tons and tons of healing vines and prayers. I am relieved your vet at least had some options for Rusty. Praying the pred will work for Sir Rusty..... I am with Carla though, I know you will make the most of every day. :bighug:

26. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Hope the pred calms things down and helps Rusty feel better.

Chin rubs to Rusty.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  27. Anne & Zener GA

Anne & Zener GA Well-Known Member

Tons of vines for your handsome boy and hugs for you and Edward.
    Liz

28. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

I'm just seeing this, glad he's perked up, but I'm still sending more vines for continued improvement for your boy :bighug::bighug::bighug:

29. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Ann & Maggie11 (GA) Well-Known Member

More prayers and vines for our Rusty boy. So glad to hear he has rallied and enjoyed seeing his deer friends. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

30. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Maybe the next time he gets a little "down in the dumps", you should just bundle him up and pretend he's going to the vet!! ;)

Good to hear that he's perked up and hopefully the new meds will help keep him feeling good for a very long time!!!

31. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

I had to stop by and check on Rusty and you! I'm sorry to hear he hasn't been feeling well, and am hoping that the latest trip to the vet will work some miracles for him. I know how hard it is to have a little furry one not feeling well. Big hugs to you, Ella, and to Edward . . . and a lot of love for Rusty. [​IMG]

32. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Sending eating vines to Rusty and feel better vines too.
    I hope the pred. helps him a lot. :bighug:

33. Chubba (GA)

Chubba (GA) Well-Known Member

I’m glad Rusty perked up a bit today. I hope he continues to get better. Sending healing vines. :bighug:

34. Tasha & Darwin

Sending continued vines, and hoping that Rusty continues to feel a bit better tonight! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

35. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

More vines, white light, and positive thoughts coming from here...
    :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

36. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

adding even more vines for his breathing and appy....
    appy always goes when they can't smell their food....

Why isn't he taking something like zyrtec for his congestion? I just don't remember.

Scritches to da man.... Hope he many good days to come.

37. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Hi Ella. I am so sorry to hear that Rusty has been doing poorly and glad to hear that he perked up today after the vet visit. Some more vines coming Rusty's way and lots of hugs to his mom and dad!

38. AZJenks

AZJenks Well-Known Member

Piling on the "feel gud" vines for Rusty. Hope he gets back to his usual self soon!

39. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Rusty is not doing well tonight. He spent the evening in his basket and refused to eat anything. I hope we'll see improvement tomorrow. I put some Fortiflora in his food to entice him to eat (it never worked before, but maybe it will tonight).
    What exactly is Zyrtec?

Good night, everyone. Please keep those positive thoughts and vines coming for our boy.

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  40. Tasha & Darwin

I’m so so sorry to hear Rusty’s not doing so well - sending lots of love and comfort your way!!! :bighug::bighug:

41. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

It's an antihistamine

42. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

Besides being an antihistamine, it also can have some appetite stimulation effect - I didn't see it when I gave it to my cats, but others have mentioned it. The usual dose is 5 mg a day.

Piling on a truckload of vines for our one and only LagoonMeister, and many :bighug: for you and Edward. This season of a cat's life is so tough on the beans - you want to give them all the quality time you can, but you don't want to prolong any suffering. Rusty is such a sharp cat, I know he will make it clear to you when he is ready. I hope that is a long ways off, and till then, treasure every moment.

43. Judy and Boomer

Did the fortiflora help Rusty eat? Maybe try warming his fuds? If he's congested he won't be able to smell his food but warming will make it "stinkier".
    Sending lots of feel-better and appy vines to Rusty and hugs to you! :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

44. Anne & Zener GA

Anne & Zener GA Well-Known Member

We are crossing paws for our beloved Rusty. Sending hugs to you and Edward as you continue to love him best.

45. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

I’m sending hugs and my love to all of you.

46. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

More vines, more light, and tons of prayers from all of us for your sweet boy.

47. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

hoping you are just late posting...... as you often do....

prayers....
    hugs....

48. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Stalking the spreadsheet. Thank you for detailed notes and slightly better days. Eat Rusty. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.