1/19 Punkin's Caturday Report

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by julie & punkin (ga), Jan 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

hi all,

I've avoided posting for punkin cuz we don't have good news. In November I noticed he had something in his mouth when he yawned, so when i took him in for his regular laser treatment for arthritis, i asked the vet to look. She took him out of the room to get a good look at it and when she returned, she said of all the things he's got going on, this was the most serious. that was on my birthday (yuck.)

It's likely he's got squamous cell carcinoma, a tumor that is growing in the cheek pocket in his back right side, between the jaw and the cheek. there are 3 lobes to it and it's kinda like a cauliflower shape. nothing that can be done about it. i researched online, just in case the vet didn't have the latest info, but the only successful treatment is a 7 day course of 2 radiation treatments daily, with a feeding tube for about 4 months. surgery options are out because the tumors have roots and the surgeon has to remove chunks of jaw. it's not on a stalk, but the entire area is raised and if removed, would leave a big hole. we decided that we couldn't do any of that to punkin.

we haven't gotten it biopsied because there is nothing to be gained by it. it is growing. he's getting food caught in it and spending time after he eats tipping his head trying to work it out. i don't know how long we'll let it go before we do the inevitable. in bad cases they can block off the throat entirely. i'm almost surprised that he's still with us at almost 2 months, because squamous cells seem to grow quickly.

he's declining some - no more kitty wrestling and he's spending the whole day downstairs pretty much sleeping. he does still come upstairs when it's time to eat. i'm mashing his food w/water to mush so it's easier to eat. we've dropped his dose partially because he needs less, partially because he isn't reliably eating, and we're no longer trying to go OTJ. we've also returned to giving him his beloved fancy feast because low phosphorus to protect his kidneys no longer matters.

in the meantime, we're just loving him up and treasuring whatever time he's got left. if he's not eating in the morning before we go to work, my husband comes home and checks him at +3 and i also come home at +4 if needed.

i'm sorry to be such a downer, but since many of you know him, have cheered him on through his acro journey and i thought would want to know, i thought i should post. it's been 25 months since we started this ride. we're hanging in there, although i don't want to talk about him because it makes me cry.

i know you understand.

2. Josie & Ripley (GA)

Josie & Ripley (GA) Well-Known Member

((Julie)), sending you and Punkin so much love.

~Josie

3. Anne & Zener GA

Anne & Zener GA Well-Known Member

(((((Julie))))) I am so sorry. I check on punkin's SS and have been reading your notes. Give him some scritches from us.
    Liz

4. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update Julie. I am so sorry the news isn't great.
    Please give Punkin some extra pets from J.D. and Ginger and I.
    I hope you have a lot longer together, than you think. Luv you guys.

5. MJ+Donovan

MJ+Donovan Well-Known Member

:sad: dittoes.

Love you Punkin!

Butthead had surgery/chemo/radiation, and if the tumor(s) were any closer to his throat area, he would have needed a feeding tube before radiation treatments. Doing all of those treatments bought time and gave me a little bit of hope initially, but like you, at some point you realize you cannot do anything but love them every minute they have left with you and do whatever makes them happy.

prayers...

MJ

Butthead hanging out at Angell in Boston waiting for his appointment
    [​IMG]

6. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

(((Julie)))

Like Liz, I've looked at Punkin's SS to keep track. Our kitties are never with us long enough. Cherish every moment you have. My thoughts are with you and Punkin.

7. Tena and Curry(GA)

Tena and Curry(GA) Well-Known Member

((((((Julie)))))

Dang. Tears. Dang. Tears. Dang. Tears.

Ok, not very eloquent.

I saw your post and thought.....oh goodie....a Punkin condo....I was so not expecting to see this. My heart just sunk.

I'm so sorry Julie. Know that you and Punkin are in my thoughts and prayers.

Lots hugs for you,
    Tena

8. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Ann & Maggie11 (GA) Well-Known Member

(((Julie))) I'm so sorry to hear about Punkin. That just doesn't seem fair. Sending lots of vines and prayers.

9. Bruce & Simon

Bruce & Simon Well-Known Member

Very sorry to hear about Punkin - what a beautiful boy.

10. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

:YMHUG: :YMHUG:
    You know I'm also Punkin SS lurker. Still crying here too. Give him a ton of hugs from us and keep lovin' him like you have. You are the best bean.

11. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

((((Julie))))) We're all here for you. I know how much you will cherish each and every day and we send prayers that Punkin will stay comfortable. [​IMG]

12. Tracy & Leo

Tracy & Leo Well-Known Member

Julie and Punkin,

I am glad you decided to tell us, if anything we will be here for you two and here to offer you all the love and support you need.

Love you guys!

13. Patty & Champ

Patty & Champ Well-Known Member

I'm speechless. I love Punkin like my own Champers. You're a great mom to Punkin and I know you'll do everything to make this part of Punkin's journey as easy to bear as possible. My thoughts and prayers are always with you guys!!

14. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Julie, I'm so sorry. Sending you hugs and prayers as you make the most of your time with Punkin.

15. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

(((((Julie))))) (((((Punkin))))),

How disheartening to have a dx and know that there is little the doctors can do for your boy. But the deep love you have for Punkin will give you both strength. We hope and pray that you will have much quality time left. Punkin, you handsome guy, take care of your mamabean as she takes care of you. There is so much love to share.

Julie, lean on the board. We are all here for you and Punkin.

Lots of love and hugs,

Ella & Rusty

16. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

I am so, so sorry, Julie. We all love Punkin as if he were one of our own. Our thoughts and prayers are with you..

17. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Lisa and Do Lou (GA) Well-Known Member

((((((((((((((((((((Julie and Punkin)))))))))))))))))))))

18. tortie58

tortie58 Well-Known Member

So sorry for this to happen Julie.
    There is a case of a 13 yrs old cat in HK also got a growth in his mouth & unable to eat. Owner tried the "Budwig's Diet" & got the cat healed, no medi fed. This is a true story. Although we are not sure if the growth is cancerous, it's worth looking into.
    http://www.healingcancernaturally.com/p ... nials.html

19. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

thanks everyone - i hated to post such discouraging news because i know how it affects everyone, but thought i should. you're the best - i appreciate your words.

i'll look at the link, helen. i also watch other kitter's spreadsheets. we're all in this together, aren't we?

i forgot to link punkin's last post: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=82741

20. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

((((((((((Julie and Punkin))))))))))
    Thoughts and prayers are with you...

21. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

((((((((((((Julie))))))))))))))

I'm so sorry you and Punkin are going through this. Keep doing what you're doing - make every minute count. It's so hard when you know what is coming, but he doesn't know so just savor it all and invest in plenty of cuddle time. You'll know when he is no longer happy.

22. Doug N Libby

Doug N Libby Well-Known Member

Julie -

I haven't been on the forum a lot lately and was just scrolling through playing a little catch-up and saw your report. I am so terribly sorry y'all are going through this.

Prayers and Hugs -

Libby (& Hershey, too!)

23. Linda for Weezer

Linda for Weezer Well-Known Member

Oh Julie, I just saw this. I am so sorry Punkin is going through this :cry: Give him some loving for us. And don't forget to be good to yourself too. :YMHUG:

24. Anne&Muffin (GA)

Anne&Muffin (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh, Julie, I'm so sorry to hear this. I'm sitting here crying with you, and sending you all the strength and comfort possible. I know you will savor each moment with Punkin, and do anything possible to keep him happy and comfortable. Praying he stays that way for a long time. Hugs to you and DH, and scritches to Punkin.

25. CD and BigMac

CD and BigMac Well-Known Member

Oh Julie, I'm so sorry. (((Punkin)))

I understand how hard it is for you to talk about this. You love him so much and would do anything for him... if only there was something possible.
    My heart goes out to you and your family. I hope you have many more days to hug him.

I hope you know we are here for you at anytime. (((((((((Julie)))))))))))
    ♥♥♥

26. Maresydotes

Maresydotes Member

Julie, I haven't been around too much lately, but just saw your post. I am so, so sorry. Many, many hugs to you and Punkin. :sad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.