+1, +2, etc

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Doodles & Karen, Oct 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

+ 1 to me is one hour after the shot is given....is the correct? Or is +1 and hour after the AMPS or PMPS? Just making sure...thanks.

2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

+1 is one hour after the shot is given.

3. Doodles & Karen

Thanks!

4. Vyktors Mum

Vyktors Mum Well-Known Member

+1 is also an hour after AMPS and PMPS - if you stall or skip something the pluses keep going past +12. AMPS/PMPS is always the test you take just before you shoot.

5. Doodles & Karen

Ok, so this is my confusion as to me there is a 30 min difference. Example...the AMPS is at 6:00am, I feed, then give the shot at 6:30am. So is the +1 at 7:00am or 7:30am? Don't think it makes a huge difference but would like to know what protocol is. Thanks!

6. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

Because most of us test closer to the shot time (10 or 15 minutes) we just tend to consider the test and shot to be at the same time. I don't think the extra few minutes should make a difference, You just count the + from the shot.

7. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

If you've been told to feed, wait 30 minutes then shoot, that just means your vet doesn't understand Lantus. While it WAS important to make sure there was food on board before shooting the harsher insulins like Caninsulin, Lantus doesn't fully "kick in" for a few hours, so it's not as important

Most of us test/feed/shoot all within about 5-10 minutes so our shot times are pretty close to our test/feed times

8. Doodles & Karen

Thanks Chris. Doodles is a slow eater so he gets about 20-30 minutes to eat in general and it keeps my time to shoot consistent. I try to keep his test/feed/shot time with less than a 15 minute variable.

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
  9. Doodles & Karen

Thanks Ann!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.